• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Use the tools when they're there. Good thinking Ryan.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#182 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:13 PM

After thinking about it, and talking with Ed, I am not going to replace the bed right now. Right now I am just going to worry about getting it running, and on the road. Then, I will take the body off at Ed's house and put the floor in, while working in his nice big warm shop. Not only would it be easier to take the body off with the bigger machines he has, but I will be able to do a better job of painting it in the heated shop.

The HPOP was a day late, and came in today. It was not long after I got home from school that I started on taking out the old HPOP. The first thing I had to do, was take the high pressure oil lines off of the pump; for that, I needed to make this tool. I did not spend but 2 minutes cutting it out with the plasma cutter, I didn't want to spend much time on it so it came out pretty rough. Though it is rough, it worked perfectly and saved me $15 it would cost to buy one.

2A70278D-AA2D-4FF3-ADD8-0CDEFBC2745C.jpg

The pump itself was not very difficult to get out. I watched a couple videos; in one the guy took out the fuel bowl, and a lot of other little things. Another video the guy only removed the aluminum intake part that goes between the turbo, intake, and whatever other hoses. When I looked at it, I didn't think I would have to take anything off, other then the couple sensors I unhooked to get wires out of the way, and that is exactly what I did. I was able to get it all unbolted and free without removing anything. The problem came when I went to lift the pump out, for that I had to remove the aluminum intake part. Now I know for next time! Here it is with the new one. Wow, blurry picture.

43C8D839-D95F-48C4-BF1A-16B7D1B492AD.jpg

The pumps are the same, except the outlet fittings for the oil lines. On the old one, they have the quick connect (not sure of the exact term) style lines, where the lines just push on, and that tool I made just pops them right off. On the new one, they are threaded on. I was going to just switch the fittings, but as you can tell from the picture below the threaded fittings are larger threads that screw into the pump housing. Sorry, blurry again.

44257025-9980-4ED6-BB66-66424909BAE4.jpg

I cant just get a bushing to put in there, since the fitting holds a check ball in place. I hope I don't have to buy new lines with the threaded ends. Does anybody have any knowledge to share?

#183 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:29 PM

I think new lines are the only answer provided they sent you the right pump. I'd see what a local hydraulic shop would charge you to make lines or modify your existing lines, there's a guy near me that made the lines for my auxiliary oil filter on my powerstroke for about $15, he even remade one for free when I mis-measured and had it made too short.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#184 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:20 PM

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the outlet on the new fitting and the part that threaded into the old put maybe the same size and have the same threads. If they are the same size and thread you may be able to find a union to connect the two. That way you wouldn't need to make new lines.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#185 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Looks like jic on the new fitting and oring on the old. You may find fittings but ive never seen any
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#186 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 07:16 AM

Ryan do you have the line off to see what type of fitting is on the other end  of the line ?   The Int DT466E  that I've worked on have that style jic fitting on the pump and oil rail  with a stainless Steel braided  line connecting them .  You might need to go that way to connect it

• Ryan313 said thank you

#187 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,727 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Ryan, Can you contact the place you got the pump from and see if they have the right fittings?

• Ryan313 said thank you

#188 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 08:39 PM

I looked on the website and apparently I ordered the wrong one. According to when the truck was built the one I have should be the right one, but there is another pump that looks just like the original, and it has the right fittings. I am going to have to send the one back and order the correct one.

I was supposed to wait for my uncle and cousin to come help... but yesterday, I decided I did not want to sit inside... so I went out in the snowstorm and took the front end apart so I could change the ball joints.

79D0FA1B-E48E-4F3A-9CA7-B8B889212924.jpg

Today I went over to my uncle's so we could press out the ball joints and the new ones in. Then I would just put it back together myself.; however, the ball joint press he has is to small and wont work for this truck. I left the new ball joints with him and the knuckles so that tomorrow he can go over to see a buddy of his (who owns an auto shop) to see if he can get them out. He is going to go over there in the morning, hopefully the guy will be able to do it then. If he can, I will go pick up the knuckles and then put the front end back together tomorrow.

Once I took the driver-side tire off I noticed right away that the hub bearings where bad, so I am going to have to replace that too.

Today I was also told that having a utility body it puts the truck in another class, which is much more to register and insure, because of this I think I might have to put a flatbed on it. I know this is not really what I wanted, but I think it is the way it will be for right now. I will likely end up putting together a welding trailer like I had originally planned on doing.

I have all but half of one of those big green square stickers off! Once I get that off I have a lot of glue to take off next.

• DougT said thank you

#189 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 05:39 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates, haven't had a chance to keep this up to date. Last week I talked to the company who if or the pump with and it was a mistake on their website (injectorwarehouse.com). They agreed to next day air me the correct pump, once they got the wrong one back. I sent it out Wednesday so I should get the pump anyway.

I have looked over the utility body and after days of thinking, I decided to take the doors off the cabinets to sell, and scrap the rest. There is a lot more then the floor rotted out, so there would be a lot of repair work needed to get it right. I looked on eBay, and it seems like the doors might be worth a few hundred bucks at least. Not sure, eBay is always wacky and people can ask what they want, we will see.

I figured the easiest way to get the body off would be in two halves. I used the plasma cutter to separate the body into two sides, then the mini excavator to lift it off.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to take the other side off. Once I have the body off, I have to deal with that raggedy bumper which is welded to the frame; I don't know if I will get to the bumper tomorrow, I doubt it.
  • olcowhand, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#190 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:30 PM

Time for a flatbed

• Ryan313 said thank you

#191 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Just remember....Willie will give you $200 for your truck!  Actually, that's what he offered for my Grand Cherokee...you'd get more for your heavy truck!   :smilewink:   

• Ryan313 said thank you

#192 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:48 PM

I forgot to mention a couple things. I ordered a hub assemble, that came today. My uncle never had a chance to bring the knuckles to his buddy, so I went and pick them up from him, since Neighbor Brian offered to press them out at work. I also noticed a few days ago when I was looking at the front end, that the driver side leaf spring had a weird curve in it... Closer inspection reviled that the top spring was broken! I looked at both sides and the two leaf springs seem to be slightly different, one might have broke in the past and my dad changed it.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#193 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 07:29 PM

I forgot to mention a couple things. I ordered a hub assemble, that came today. My uncle never had a chance to bring the knuckles to his buddy, so I went and pick them up from him, since Neighbor Brian offered to press them out at work. I also noticed a few days ago when I was looking at the front end, that the driver side leaf spring had a weird curve in it... Closer inspection reviled that the top spring was broken! I looked at both sides and the two leaf springs seem to be slightly different, one might have broke in the past and my dad changed it.

Time to go to Mcdonald & Mcdonald springs over on lake street in Newburgh great folks to deal with.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#194 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Just remember....Willie will give you $200 for your truck!  Actually, that's what he offered for my Grand Cherokee...you'd get more for your heavy truck!   :smilewink:   

$125 for a Furd :thumbs: :dancingbanana:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#195 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 05:18 PM

I was able to take the other half of the body off today. It was very easy to get it off, I just had to cut the front U-bolt that held it to the frame, and then cut a piece of channel where it was welded to the frame on the back. With the body off, it looks like a totally different truck.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc and gopher have said thanks