• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 05:37 PM

The air tool can't suck the stuff into itself.  The ONLY inlet is straight from the compressor, only an exhaust at the tool.  It could just be the vanes when not under load rattling some.  Kind of like a chain saw that sounds like crap till you drop it into a log, then she humms along.

• Alc and Ryan313 have said thanks

#167 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Looks good without the stickers - for a ford.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#168 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Looks good without the stickers - for a ford.

That hurt ya to say didn't it?   :rolling:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#169 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:52 PM

You are putting oil in that air tool once in a while right? If not, they will sound rattly.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#170 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 12:27 PM

I was using it this morning, and I was working fine until there was a loud bang! When I looked at it, I saw that the little pics of metal over the exhaust had blown out! It did not take long to see that a lot of the holes where filled with ice, and that the exhaust could not escape as fast as it was being produced, then boom! Out goes the exhaust plate! I have gone back to the heat gun, even though the tool still works I am not going to use it anymore. Last time I used the heat gun it was much colder then today, and it is much easier to remove the stickers with the slightly warmer temps. If the tempurature would go up some more, it would be cake!

You are putting oil in that air tool once in a while right? If not, they will sound rattly.

Yes, I am oiling it.

#171 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 01:04 PM

The air tool is just creating a lot of ice from the moisture in your air compressor. Have you drained the tank on your compressor lately?

Geno

• Ryan313 said thank you

#172 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 04:57 PM

The air tool is just creating a lot of ice from the moisture in your air compressor. Have you drained the tank on your compressor lately?

Geno

I am usually good about draining the water out, but right now it is frozen, so I can't get it out.

#173 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:06 PM

I made a lot of progress today, I have the driver side almost cleared of stickers! The green square is made of some other kind of material, and is very hard to remove with the tool or the heat gun. I decided to skip that, and move on. The picture below is after removing the stickers. but the rear door still has all of the glue left on it.

4656E764-D500-411A-ADBE-FF886EA292D0.jpg

Here are the exhaust parts of the tool that blew out. I am not sure how they go back in, so I will look on Google some and see if I would be able to fix it. It still works fine, just a little louder, and spins slightly faster. If I am not able to fix it I will have to buy another to replace it, even though it works still.

CF1DEA00-3C65-4330-824C-9D7770D5C274.jpg

I have started to use the heat gun to remove the sticker, then the air tool to take off the glue. This way is a lot cleaner, plus the glue comes right off, so I will not use nearly as many wheels.

#174 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Ryan noticed your fire extinguisher. Rust a big no no take to extinguisher re filler get it replaced . Make room in side box for hanging one in it out of the elements.Go to truck supply get fire extinguisher inside placard. We often forget these are highly pressurized canisters.       

• Ryan313 said thank you

#175 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Ryan noticed your fire extinguisher. Rust a big no no take to extinguisher re filler get it replaced . Make room in side box for hanging one in it out of the elements.Go to truck supply get fire extinguisher inside placard. We often forget these are highly pressurized canisters.

If you have ever seen a fire extinguisher explode you don't want to see another.

The other style are even more dangerous. The ones that the tank isn't pressurized until you press the external tank to charge it. I picked one of those up to put out a fire hit the plunger and the bottom exploded. There was a serious fire safety evaluation within the company after that.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#176 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 06:05 PM

I saw the rust there the other day, and I didn't like it either. Being that I will be welding with the truck, you can bet that I will have those replaced! There is also another one on the front driver side cabinet.

#177 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 05:42 PM

One of the cabinets already had the upper ball joints in it from when my Dad was going to do them. Today, I went and got the lower ball joints, and front axle universals. To do the upper ball joints you have to take the lower out, so I thought it would be best to do them while they where out anyway. Being that the driver side ball joint is beyond bad, it put a lot of pressure on the universal and that is in terrible shape, so those will get replaced while it is apart.

My uncle may come this weekend to help me change them.

#178 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:35 PM

I have gotten a good technique down for removing the stickers, and I am making good steady progress. Today, I got about half of the stickers removed from the passenger side. I was able to get some of the green sticker off with the heat gun, all I have to do its heat it until it starts to bubble and melt! :poke:

9DF213BA-E270-4EBE-9703-E944510C248C.jpg

I also took off everything I want to get off of the back. I am going to make a new tailgate, so no need to waste time with those stickers.

CE3FA766-B3CA-44F7-8B26-CED33C6AAB8D.jpg

The reason I am replacing the gate, is due to it rotting out. Here is one side of it, this part not that bad, but still worse then I would like.

996E1D77-7808-4765-B0BC-87EC754A2356.jpg

Here is where most of the rot is, the top.

A3DC69CA-D676-40C1-8F04-25E70E28090D.jpg

Does it still work? Of course it does; however, if I can make a new tailgate in a few hours, then why not? When I make a new one, I am not sure if I am going to make it taller, or leave it the same height.

• olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#179 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 01:24 PM

I ordered the HPOP last night, it will be here from Tuesday to Thursday.

#180 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 04:05 PM

The only stickers left on the body are the ones for the phone number on the passenger side; those stickers aren't coming off at all and I will have to use the rubber wheel for those.

I have Harry's mini excavator here for something else I had to do; while the machine is here I am thinking about taking the body off to put a new floor in it. I am still outside despite crazy weather, so there isn't really any reason for me to wait for spring to put a new floor in. Besides, with the current floor I will have nowhere to put a welder when I buy one.

• Alc and gopher have said thanks