#151 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:09 PM

The same thing could be said about Dodges! Great engine, horrible trans, and horrible steel it all rots out quickly!  :shoot2:

That's what I was talking about...Dodges, great engines, the rest is junk :D

Now if GM had gotten Cummins, great truck with a great engine.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#152 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:24 PM

My dad had rebuilt the injectors with new O-rings, so those should be fine. It also has a new IPR, that is the main thing keeping it from starting. My dad had never messed with the HPOP.

#153 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Wishing you luck, Ryan.

My PowerStroke must be having sympathy pains..... had to buy two new batteries today, and I'm thinking if pulling the starter to have it tested.

I had been at work all day last Sunday. When I went out to the truck at about 6PM it was stone cold (temps were in the teens), took FOREVER to start. It was fogging the parking lot with smoke, but would not take off and run so I knew there was a glow plug problem. Got it figured out yesterday: glow plug relay is shot, so I've ordered a Western Plow relay that is supposed to be a beefier relay and should work good. Ordered 2 of them so I'd have one on the shelf.

And, Monday right after lunch, had a guy run in to the rear of the truck, folding the bumper under the right rear quarter. Luckily nobody was hurt. His car didn't survive quite so good. Oh, well. I've been wanting to get a welding shop to fabricate a different bumper for me, I guess now's the time.... the guy had insurance!!!

Edited by nra1ifer, December 25, 2013 - 10:49 AM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#154 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 10:57 AM

I had been at work all day last Sunday. When I went out to the truck at about 6PM it was stone cold (temps were in the teens), took FOREVER to start. It was fogging the parking lot with smoke, but would not take off and run so I knew there was a glow plug problem. Got it figured out yesterday: glow plug relay is shot, so I've ordered a Western Plow relay that is supposed to be a beefier relay and should work good. Ordered 2 of them so I'd have one on the shelf.

And, Monday right after lunch, had a guy run in to the rear of the truck, folding the bumper under the right rear quarter. Luckily nobody was hurt. His car didn't survive quite so good. Oh, well. I've been wanting to get a welding shop to fabricate a different bumper for me, I guess now's the time.... the guy had insurance!!!

If you look at the pictures of my truck again, look at the rear bumper; the bumper sticks out about 2 feet and serves as a work bench. That bumper has been through hell and back! It has been hit by other drivers several times, and my dad has also backed it into a lot of things, so it is pretty bent up! I have a brand new step part that I am going to put on. When I put the floor in the truck I am also going to rebuild the bumper.

You know, I could build you a new bumper... NY isn't that far away. :D
  • nra1ifer said thank you

#155 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:06 AM

If you look at the pictures of my truck again, look at the rear bumper; the bumper sticks out about 2 feet and serves as a work bench. That bumper has been through hell and back! It has been hit by other drivers several times, and my dad has also backed it into a lot of things, so it is pretty bent up! I have a brand new step part that I am going to put on. When I put the floor in the truck I am also going to rebuild the bumper.

You know, I could build you a new bumper... NY isn't that far away. :D

You know what? I'd LOVE to come see you (in the summer time!) because I know that area a bit.... used to spend time in the Phoenicia, NY area when I was a kid, was there for the first 3 months of 5th grade... stayed at Lazy Meadows on the Esopus Creek. Beautiful place! Also have relatives in Sherman, NY I could see on the way....   Now that I have a travel trailer, I DO have plans to go to NY sometime. If/when we do, if we're in your area, I'll definitely look you up.

As far as the bumper goes.. I need one that doesn't stick out any further than the tailgate of the truck..... it's THAT tight getting it to fit in my garage with and still be able to put the door down!

Edited by nra1ifer, December 25, 2013 - 11:08 AM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#156 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:21 AM

You know what? I'd LOVE to come see you (in the summer time!) because I know that area a bit.... used to spend time in the Phoenicia, NY area when I was a kid, was there for the first 3 months of 5th grade... stayed at Lazy Meadows on the Esopus Creek. Beautiful place! Also have relatives in Sherman, NY I could see on the way.... Now that I have a travel trailer, I DO have plans to go to NY sometime. If/when we do, if we're in your area, I'll definitely look you up.

As far as the bumper goes.. I need one that doesn't stick out any further than the tailgate of the truck..... it's THAT tight getting it to fit in my garage with and still be able to put the door down!

I am not familiar with either of those towns, but I know where the esopus creek is!

It might be easiest, and cheapest to bolt a piece of 2x8 lumber to the truck then!

#157 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:24 AM

I am not familiar with either of those towns, but I know where the esopus creek is!

It might be easiest, and cheapest to bolt a piece of 2x8 lumber to the truck then!

It's not too far from Kingston, close to Woodstock....

• Ryan313 said thank you

#158 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's not too far from Kingston, close to Woodstock....

Being that you mentioned the Esopus, I figured it was up there somewhere. I am about 45 minutes south of Kingston. Roundout Bay in Kingston is my favorite place to fish.

#159 CRE1992 OFFLINE  

CRE1992
  • Member No: 11285
  • 28 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Any updates Ryan?

• Ryan313 said thank you

#160 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I know....I'll catch flak, but saw this on Facebook today & couldn't help myself!

1549562_10201853411709697_223031181_n.jp

• daytime dave, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#161 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Nothing to extraordinary, to update. Today I took the diamond plate off that was behind the cab, and I was going to slide it down so it was even with the top of the boxes. When I took it off, there was a lot of silicone between the body and aluminum, I assume that it was vibrating or something, and my Dad out it in as a buffer. I am going to have to get it all off before I put the diamond plate back on.

A couple days ago, I talked to the guy who had that sticker remover, and apperently he still had it! He said I could borrow it, so I went over to his house and picked it up. I got all of the stickers off of the drivers door, front driver fender, and 99% of the hood. I had to stop, since I ran out of wheel for it. I ordered 6 more wheels, and will probably need even more then that. I know, pictures... Tomorrow.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#162 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 08:42 PM

... there was a lot of silicone between the body and aluminum....

This was probably done to stop the oxidation between the steel and aluminum. 

• Ryan313 and backwoods have said thanks

#163 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:01 AM

I know....I'll catch flak, but saw this on Facebook today & couldn't help myself!

1549562_10201853411709697_223031181_n.jp

Someone must have photoshopped that one,  the original said Ford!!!! :bigrofl:

• Ryan313 and CRE1992 have said thanks

#164 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Sorry, didn't have a chance to take pictures yesterday, and today it is raining. If it lets up some I will go out and get some pictures quick.

This was probably done to stop the oxidation between the steel and aluminum.

That is a possibility, what ever the reason was, I am going to cut some strips of rubber to put between the aluminum and steel when I put it back on.

#165 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Here is some of the silicone on the top boxes.

03586F6A-C4DC-4B4C-B69D-0D27B611C228.jpg

It was not until I just linked this picture here, that I noticed there was no silicone along the bottom. If it was there to stop oxidation, I would think it wouls be on the bottom as well?

27F7A3C4-9070-4568-975A-053D074A9192.jpg

Here it is now. On the cab corner you can see it is a different color; when I was using the heat-gun to remove the stickers a lot of paint came off with the sticker, so that is primer. I took one of the paint chips to Home Depot and I got a quart mixed that is pretty much an exact match to the original paint.

52624EAA-48D4-4C1C-98FE-7BB9FA336650.jpg

Here is the sticker removing tool, with the new wheels that arrived in the mail today. The rubber these wheels are made of is softer then the other wheels; I don't know why, they are the same thing from the same company. The softer rubber means they wear out faster, if you go back to the picture of the truck, the front cabinet has some stickers removed, this took and entire wheel! I am going to have to see if I can find any with the stiff rubber like the first ones I had.

A13653FA-C45D-4AED-A9FD-681C9C402740.jpg

I think there is something stuck inside the tool also. When spinning it makes kind of a grinding sound, but not when I have the wheel against the body to remove stickers. It had not made this sound until about half way through the wheel I wore through today. I have been putting oil in it, so that is not the problem. As the wheels wear down, it makes a very fine rubber powder, after about 5 minutes I end up having a 1/4" of the powder on my left hand and arm! Could this powder be causing the grinding if it got inside? Here is a picture of some of the powder that was on my jacket afterwords. You can see how fine it is when you compare it to my hand.

466661C3-95EC-414C-B088-436F04807878.jpg

How hard is it to take apart something like this? It still works fine, but the last thing I want to do is return the tool broken.

• Alc said thank you