• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:19 PM

My Dad had owned a tire service business, and he was 99% mobile and would go to you. He had no shop, only a warehouse for the tires. It was either 2000 or 2001 that he replaced the older F350 box truck he had for the business, with a 1999 F450 the dealer had left over. He used the truck as a work truck, and a daily driver. The truck has 242,000 miles on it, but most are highway miles from the business. It was built in February of 1999 so the factory put a 1998 7.3 Power stroke diesel in it. It has only towed a trailer a handful of times, and they where never heavy enough to be a challenge for the truck; however, it was used to plow snow for about 5 years. Between the snow plowing, and a recall... it is on its 3rd tranny. Other then that, it has been pretty good mechanically.

Two and a half years ago the engine started to act up. Rebuilt injectors, new glow plugs, some new/cleaned fuel parts, and it ran fine again. Then shortly after more problems came. I am not 100% sure what happened, but I know that my Dad had changed the IPR (injector pressure regulator) valve and it hasn't ran since. After he did this it would not start, but would fire on starting fluid, after letting the glow plugs cool of course. Before doing anything else he passed away, and the truck sat for about a year. Then, Harry had said he would fix it; he brought it to Ed's house so that they could work on it.

Well, a month ago I found out from Ed that Harry had never done much of anything with it, so I decided that I would bring it back to my house and see what I could do with it. Either I was busy, Ed was busy, or whether we never had a chance to get it home before I went to Florida two weeks ago. On Wednesday, I got a call from Ed saying that he and Harry had just dropped it off for me. I got back from Florida at 3:30 this morning, and today was the first day I had to do anything with it. First thing I did was wash it, it was filthy! After 2 1/2 years of sitting it really needed a bath. Once it was clean, I put new batteries in it and made sure it would turn over. I still have the original IPR valve, so I put that back in and hoped it would start. I did not expect it to start, and it didn't. I did not mess with it much more since it was raining. The next thing I have to do is put fresh fuel in it, as what is in it has sat through 2 NY winters and needs to be changed.

Now for pictures! Here are a few from a month ago when it was sitting at Ed's house.

5454B7E7-51F7-4A54-8DAC-8CD6927C2BFF.jpg

220EC5EF-8D11-4532-BA0A-C12C126F714A.jpg

D002CCE8-555A-4D07-AE3D-F4CD0CCADCC9.jpg

Remember I said it needed a bath? Yuck!

EDEA405C-A4CD-425E-8F28-653E3CDAC7C5.jpg

After its washing. You can see that the very top part of the box is missing; that was the cover for the compressor. Ed had bought the compressor from me, and the easiest way to get it out was to lift it up with one of the several pieces of equipment you can see in the pictures from when it was at his house. To lift it out we had to take the cover off, which was easy because the bolts where small and rotted enough we just used a pneumatic chisel to pop the bolt heads off.

658248D9-D3AF-4EAD-824B-7D65C6755BC4.jpg

1B31C3BF-EAA9-47F2-B3A1-D1365092E302.jpg

The S10 I am driving now is falling apart as we speak, rotted out, head gaskets blown, burns oil,rear end gears skipping, door doesn't close, no heat, and not to mention that ugly golden bow tie on the front. That truck gets 11 mpg, and after doing the math I figured that cost the same as about 12.5 mpg on diesel. The F450 gets 14 mpg, it is bigger, stronger, can pull anything I will ever need to, 8 1/2 foot snow plow, and it is a Ford. Back when I planned on driving the F250, I was going to set up a mobile welding trailer to pull around for side jobs; due to more problems with that truck then I wanted to deal with I sold it... so that plan went out the window. When I first decided to get the F450 going I wanted to put a flatbed on it, but I have now decided that I am going to leave the utility body on it and set it up to be a welding truck.

A couple of my friends joked that I am going to go from the biggest POS at school, to the biggest and strongest truck! Lol!

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Good  luck with your troubleshooting my I suggest watching all the 7.3 videos  from DieselTechRon   , he presents them well and you'll learn a lot 

• Ryan313 said thank you

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Pretty cool looking truck Ryan.  Good luck with it being a welding truck.  I'll bet you can do very well with that.  Thanks for sharing those great photographs with us.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think it's great you're getting Dad's truck back on the road again.  I'm sure he'll be looking down & smiling as you do it.  Great looking truck, and perfect to start a welding business with!  :thumbs:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:29 PM

The truck looks good for that amount of miles. Hope you don't have to many problems getting it on the road again.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#6 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:35 PM

That truck will last a long time once you get it going. It looks really good for the year. Glad to see you back on here also.

Geno

• Ryan313 said thank you

#7 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Nice looking truck Ryan :thumbs:  :thumbs:

I may forgive you for the bow tie comment, then again I may not :smilewink:  :poke:

• Ryan313 said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Ryan, Does it try to hit at all on 1 or 2 cylinders? I have a late 1998 built 1999 250 SD with 549,??? miles on it and I need to take it to a buddy of mine (Ford Diesel Mech.), who cleans out the oil reservoir that holds the oil that pressurizes the injectors. He uses parts cleaner and says that it removes the oil varnish build up in the oil side of the injectors to make them operate properly. Right now it will start and run on a couple cylinders until it warms up and as it warms up it progressive get better til it's running on all 8 smoothly.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#9 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Good luck with getting your truck back on the road again. I know nothing about Fords but like others have said it is a very nice truck for the age and amount of miles. The 7.3's are a very popular engine so I would imagine there are a ton of videos on Youtube about working on them and probably a bunch of forums dedicated to those trucks too.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thanks everybody! I can't wait to have this truck up and running again! And this truck is deffinetly in good shape for driving on the salty roads in the winter for a bunch of years. The only major rot is the floor of the utility body, due to what I consider a design flaw. The supports for the floor are made of channel iron, with the open side facing up. Then the floor is intermittently welded to the channel iron. The problem is that water and salt can get between the floor and channel, then have no way to get out, causing the floor to rot out. This is a common problem with these bodies, and I have seen many with rotted out floors; Ed's work truck is a '97 or '98 dodge with a Reading utility body,and his floor is starting to rot, but not even close to what mine is like. If it was not for the piece of plywood that is in there now the bed would be useless. My dad bought new diamond tread sheet metal that is cut to size already for a new floor, he just never put it in.

Brian, it does not fire at all, it will just spin and spin, then spin some more without anything. Is the oil varnish on the injectors, or something else? How about some pictures of your truck?

I have watched a couple videos, and I am a member of one Ford forum. I have not done much research on it yet.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 12:21 AM

Ryan, Here is a thread that I posted photos of our 1999, maroon and silver and the 2001 gold colored trucks in. I can tell you that you have the best diesel engine that Ford ever dropped in their trucks. I will never own another Ford with any of the newer Diesels because they are junk. If I can't get 300,000 + miles out of the engine, I don't want it. These 2 Fords make our 7th and 8th Ford with the 7.3 and everyone of them has run at least 500,000 miles before anything major had to be done to them.. There is a couple places around here now that will take your newer model Ford SD Diesel and convert it to a new 7.3 dropped in place of the 6.0 or 6.4.

http://gardentractor...-of-your-truck/

• Ryan313 said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 04:27 AM

Ryan, good luck getting it running. That truck should do very good for welding!

• Ryan313 said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:48 AM

There is a couple places around here now that will take your newer model Ford SD Diesel and convert it to a new 7.3 dropped in place of the 6.0 or 6.4.

Your better off with a 7.3  , I'm working on a 2007 ,with only  105k ( 5000 + hrs though) it was back to the dealer so many times , heads , egr and oil cooler , injectors , turbo , now I'm chasing a HP internal  oil leak ,  we'll all help out as much as we can

• Ryan313 said thank you

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,278 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:41 AM

Ryan, Do you know anyone with a scan tool that could check it for you? You can spend a lot of time and money guessing on these when a scanner may make the problem obvious. There is an injector press sensor back by the regulator (IPR). Also the cam sensor in the front of the engine will keep it from firing. You can pull the plug out of the high press pump reseervoir in the top front and make sure it is full of engine oil. I've even seen the quality of the engine oil cause starting problems with these. I'd think after sitting that may good to change it regardless. Hope you can get it running, it will serve you well.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 08:18 AM

I watched that video last night, and what I changed was actually the ICP, not the IPR.

Doug, I forgot when I posted this that Ed's neighbor has put a scanner on it. It came up with a code for the wastegate selionoid, PCM, and something else. I am not sure if those are actual problems because one is caused by dead batteries, which it had. Then the code because of dead batteries, caused another code, which caused another code. After school I will post a picture of the paper with the codes written down.

I will do an oil change to, I was hoping to put that off since it's about $100 to change the oil in this pig.