#16 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 12:09 PM

Toomanytoys84 - With no battery charger hooked up, key in run position, I did arc the solenoid posts and the engine turned over without any issue.   I cleaned the grounds at the solenoid and battery cables before this issue came about.  Not exactly sure if I need to do them again or if there is someplace else I need to be working.

HDWildBill - The battery was brand new late this past fall and it was on a float charger most all spring.  I did test it again on the multi-meter and it tests out at 12.30 volts.  Will check it out at an auto parts store just to be safe regarding live/dead cells.

New Problem - "No spark"  -  After jumping the starter at the solenoid, I now have no issues with the starting motor cranking at the key switch.  Its almost as if the starter was "stuck," but I don't know.  However, I no longer have any spark whatsoever getting to the spark plug.  I used my spark tester and nothing.  I put the spark plug in another mower and it fired without issue, thus believing I can eliminate a bad plug.   

I feel like a dog/cat chasing my tail at this point.  :wallbanging:

Edited by alsparl, July 04, 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 01:18 PM

I feel like a dog/cat chasing my tail at this point.  :wallbanging:

I think we have all felt like that at one time or another. 

I'm not familiar with the Sears RER but I have had tractors where they will crank but won't start and it was a bad seat switch.   One thing you can do is disconnect the wiring from the tractor to the engine and then see if the engine will start.  If it does then your problem is with the tractor and if it doesn't then more then likely the issue is with the engine. 

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 05, 2014 - 12:01 PM

If he had to arc the solenoid, is it a possibility that the fuse went and would at cause a no spark? I assume this is a mag style and wouldn't need power to spark, but IDK.

#19 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 09:35 PM

Would the ignition module going out all of a sudden cause this?  I tested all safety switches and they are ok.  I checked the fuse and it is ok.  I went back over all the grounds, and they are ok.

#20 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 23, 2014 - 10:37 PM

Here is a little test I did, makes me lean towards the ignition module.  If I unplug the single green ground wire from the module, the engine immediately starts up.  Of course, the engine does not die with the key switch.  To kill the motor, I simply touch the wire to the spaid terminal on the bottom side of the module.

Am I thinking correctly that the ignition module is the culprit for the unit not running?

#21 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 25, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Got it fixed, it was the seat switch.  Did not run when seat switched plugged in.  Did not run with seat switch unplugged.  Placed a plastic sliver of milk carton between the compression prongs (to "un-ground" them) at the seat switch plug, tractor end, and she took right off like she had been waiting for that for years.

Thank you all who have helped over the last year and provided advice and direction.  I greatly appreciate it.

• hrhoward said thank you