#1 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 06:26 PM

I have been working on my father in law's evergreen colored Sears Craftsman branded rear engine rider (10 hp).   It is their model 536.27011, which I assume it was made by Murray as my father has the same machine, just marketed as a Murray machine.  I have thoroughly cleaned the engine compartment, fuel tank, new fuel line, plug, cleaned and gapped the magnets, and even put a carb kit in the unit itself.  Even with that, I still cannot get the engine to even out it continues to pulsate at one speed (high or low) but then will even out at the other end.  It is frustrating me to death as I am not  fan of Tecumseh engines.  Maybe it is mechanic...lol.

With that being said, my brother-in-law saved a very good single cyl vert. shaft B&S out of a basic MTD lawn tractor (11 hp).  I know it runs as good as I have done the beginning and end of season maintenance on that machine since it was new.  The transaxle simply split and they didn't have the money to fix it.  With that being said, are their any pros or cons to swapping the engines in the Craftsman RER?

Please let me know as I am willing to do it but want to make sure I don't ruin the mower itself by doing so.

Thank you for all your opinions.

Aaron

• JRJ said thank you

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Aaron,
Can you take a short vid of it running and put it on youtube?
Linking us to it and letting us have a listen might inspire an answer.
  • JRJ said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Just a thought, are all the governor linkages free without any binding? 

Ben W.

#4 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,639 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Didn't someone use a rubber band to replace the governor linkage spring and smooth out a surging problem?   Rick

#5 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Thank you all for the replies thus far.  The linkages are free and clear and there are no additional parts or pieces on the machine to try to smooth out the engine.  I will see about getting a video posted and see if that helps out.  Thanks again.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Sure sounds like you still have an air leak somewhere.

Does carb mount directly to head or is there an intake tube?

Is head gasket good?

I would get some carb cleaner and while running spray here and there to see if rpm's change, could find a leak somewhere else than carb

#7 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 02:04 PM

Well I am finally back on this project now that the snow has melted and weather has decided to cooperate.  The below web link is to a video on photobucket I posted today.  It is at low throttle and it is only magnified at high throttle.  The pulsating is irritating and I cannot get it smoothed out for the life of me.  Any help that would be provided would be appreciated.  Thanks!  Aaron

http://s239.photobuc...26_001.mp4.html

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 02:15 PM

If you rule out an air leak, then likely there is a passage partially blocked.  On these carbs, it's often you have to remove the welch plugs to get to these passages to clean them out.  In the carb parts diagram, the low speed mixture welch plug is part #47.  A restricted idle circuit can affect high speed as well.  Also, it may be you will have to install the air filter for it to smooth out.  It can affect the mixture more than you might think.

#9 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:31 PM

I reinstalled the air filter and the same symptoms occur.  I guess it is time to buy another carb rebuild kit and go after it again.

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:44 AM

It sounds to me as if she's is getting extra air somewhere. How's the throttle shaft slop?
I agree with Daniel that on a carb like this, make sure everything is clean and right with the ports. I have gone back into them several times and sometimes you never do get all the ghosts chased out.
On those plugs; I had to reuse the originals once, I drilled a little hole, used a screw to remove... Fixed issue, Reinstalled and covered hole with JB Weld.

#11 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Well, I took apart the carb for the 2nd time, making sure, and double sure, everything was cleaned out.  Although probably didn't need to, I got new gaskets for both ends of the intake manifold as well the air cleaner housing.  Thus far, the machine runs like it is supposed to....thanks God !!  LOL

Thank you all for your help on this.  I do not look forward to any further mechanicing on this machine...haha.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 02, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Nothing wrong with old Tecumseh engines. They just take a little coaxing.

#13 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 05:08 PM

So here we are on "delivery day," and I go to load the machine onto the trailer and nothing happens when I turn the key.  All safety switches are clear, brand new battery installed with it being on a float charger for the last couple of days.  Cleaned up all ground on battery wire and solenoids.  Still nothing.  The new battery shows well over 12 volts on the multi meter.  The only thing that will make it turn over is if I have my large battery charger on it; then it acts like it should.

I have never experienced this before and am befuddled.  Key switch?  Solenoid?  Battery drain somewhere?

Any help or suggestions are very much welcome.

Thank you all.

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 08:59 AM

What happens when you jump the solenoid with a screw driver or jumper cable?

I'd say you have a bad starter or a bad ground personally

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted July 04, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Test the battery and make sure it is good.  If you don't have a battery tester you can take it to one of the auto parts stores and it will test it.  Sounds to me like you have a dead cell or two.  You can have voltage and still have a bad battery.