• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 teds1 OFFLINE  

teds1

• Member No: 3335
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I have a 60 flex and float mower and the gear box mount has cracked. Anyone have experience welding these gearboxes bases.   

my tractor is a gt 19 and I don't exactly use the mower on perfectly flat ground, I abuse it for sure.

I have searched out gearboxes on the web and I think I would rather like to get it welded.  I don't weld myself so will have to get it welded. if anyone has had this issue let me know your experience.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Welcome to GTT. I would think that this is very dependant on the welder. I've seen some guys do miracles and others not so much. There are alot of variables, it takes a really good welder to give you what you want. Good Luck, Rick 

Edited by boyscout862, December 05, 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I would find myself a welding shop and stop by and talk with them to get your answer, they most likely are going to want to see the part in questions.

Dick

#4 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:10 AM

I've tig welded a few. stripped out bolt holes and ears/tabs back on the sides. Have yet to try mig welding one. its going to need to be torn apart, and pre-heated, 500º works good, kitchen oven works as long as it clean otherwise the woman will want to know what you did to stank up the whole house 

it's also dirty cast, tends to grow after you strike an arc, jumps on to your electrode, trapped air, did I mention dirty, the dirt/sand/crud just keep coming, stuff more rod in

• JRJ said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:31 AM

I assume it's cast iron. I would look at brazing it rather then welding. Bronze brazing or flame welding is a lot more forgiving on cast iron and doesn't require as much preheating and extended cool down times. I have repaired a lot of cast parts this way and used them in high vibration/ impact areas.
  • boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#6 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:53 AM

I wish they were cast iron but they are aluminum. grass tends to collect around them and rot them if you don't keep your deck clean.

• Texas Deere and Horse and JRJ have said thanks

#7 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:10 PM

If a man is good with a tig welder he should be able to weld it, with it being aluminum it will need to be taken apart and cleaned and preheated prior to welding, but it should be weldable.

In my younger days I would not hesitate to weld it.

Dick

#8 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Welcome to the forums! 

Where is the crack located? Years back I had used a product called Quick Metal for repair work. A heavy duty epoxy like product. I am not sure if it would knit to this.

#9 teds1 OFFLINE  

teds1

• Member No: 3335
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 05:52 AM

hi all

just to give you an update, i tried the cheap easier way.  Cleaned it all up took it all apart, what a pain getting that gearbox off the deck.  I used a product called jb weld.  The break is on one of the ears for one of the main bolts to go thru.  The break extended along the base of the gearbox.  The no weld repair held for some time but broke again.

reading some of the posts, i never really considered looking at the pto shaft to make sure that was in proper shape too.

did i say i abuse this mower deck, so really my fault.  lots of trails and uneven ground to mow on with your typical rocks and branches all over.

my repair got me thru the summer but i will eventually try a weld shop or better yet keep my eyes out for a junker parts deck.  Tons of snow here now so my gt19 is busy blowing snow.

tks all for advice so much appreciated.

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 09:10 AM

where a bouts are you located? there was one for sale (though I think it was a 48" I think you can swap the gearbox to your 60" deck, it was off of a GT 17)   Rockford IL Craigslist, seller was in Roscoe IL.

(NOT the deck for sale that I speak of) but I have a 48" one that I have never mowed with yet but when I spin the box by hand (PTO shaft is hanging off the deck gearbox) it spins over rather hard.

Edited by dodge trucker, December 14, 2014 - 09:11 AM.