Snowblower Or Blade?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

• Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:54 AM

I'm just curious how much snow it takes for everyone to ditch the blades and get out the heavy artillery (snow blower).
  • JRJ said thank you

#2 chuckerfarm OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47820
  • 27 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Depends how much rear weight you have on gt:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• JRJ said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 7,342 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Amount of snow, weight of snow, type of driveway, capabilities of your equipment, and how much room is left for the snow after previous snowfalls all come into the decision. You will have to decide for yourself after you have experience with your particular situation. The plow is faster and you don't get blowback but you may have run out of room for pushing. I often use my FEL and push up piles that are out of the way. We seem to be getting more snow than we used to so I'm having to adapt to that. I am looking at putting together a GT with a blower and cab but the engine won't start. Remember: seat time should be fun. Plan the work out so that you have fun. Good Luck, Rick

• JRJ said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Looks like we are from some area.....this will make 3rd yr I haven't mounted my blower since our snow fall has been so minimal, just use the blade. Thought about selling it.

Bad decision is though, if we get snow fall to push, then we pile it, then more falls, pile more...then get blower out, that previous stuff can freeze hard and no be able to be moved. If you hit it too hard witha blower, you can tear some stuff up....been there.

Hopefully that 3-6" predicted will pass us right up. :D

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,456 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Blades are only way I go. Most blowers don't fling it far and if wet, right in front of you and becomes a blade kinda anyway. Can go faster with blade too. I push big snows back a little farther than needed to make room for next big one. Can push right up and back on banks with blade raised for awhile. Would take an awful lot of snow to stop having room to put it. We don't get that here in NE Indiana much anymore, so don't have to worry about it much. Last winter only got the tractors out 3 times for snow plowing, no big falls at all really.  I even plow the whole yard area between my house and garage for the dog to have running area and to walk to cars easy. All with a blade.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:10 PM

I have a blade and a compact tractor. I also have a hill up to the road to deal with. If you only have a blade then make sure you get some weight on the back wheels and get chains.  A hill is a real heart breaker. You can push heavy snow just fine on the flat and then when you hit a hill you run out of traction. If the snow is really deep and / or heavy I have a walk behind blower that I use to blow most of it out from around the house where I don't have room to push it back. 

You can move quite a bit of snow with a small GT and a blade, but if it's deep and heavy it can be a slow proposition. A blower can be faster in that situation and then the snow is out of your way.  A good walk behind blower is a nice thing to have on hand for heavy snow falls and for backup. 

#7 Guest_Fluid_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:09 PM

The blade is fast but for the big jobs the blower is the way to go.    48" blade,   38" snow cannon

#8 js5020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7086
  • 526 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:24 PM

I'm just curious how much snow it takes for everyone to ditch the blades and get out the heavy artillery (snow blower).

Hmmm good question, I dont think I would ditch the blade for anything under 6-8".  The blade under that amount is just faster and no hassles with clogging or not having enough traction to displace the weight snow, thats my "practicle answer".  If Im in the mood and want to see snow fly, well any amount will do! :smilewink:

#9 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Blade only for me. My weight and the extra on the Cub works very well even in the deep snow. The blade is 54" wide. When the wheel weights are done it will get even easier.

#10 chuckerfarm OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47820
  • 27 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I run fluid filled turfs with wheel weights, chains and 250 lbs on rear weight bracket:) does awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#11 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,291 Thanks
  • 8,663 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Blades are for building roads, snowblowers move snow around here.