• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 03:19 AM

hello all, up late again, cant sleep because of the pain, sorry about my last post about my new tractors, too many pain killers, but i wanted to show off my new stuff and my typing and my sentences reflected my meds. But down to business, has anyone modified a steering wheel tractor to lever/hydrolic control? i have some health issues and the tendons in my arms ,shoulders, and hands are calcifing, along with large holes developing, i will probably lose most of the use of them, i only have the strength of a 10 year old girl now which sucks, they have me on thoradole and hydromorphone, a heroin based pain killer, i hate taking pills but without them the pain is awful ,and extremly worse if i do anything, even lite lifting, its not looking good, i am a 260 lb male, worked hard all my life, my passions are my family ,my farm and my tractors, this disease is slowing me down but im not out yet,  thats life but i have to prepare, this may be my last project unless my surgeon comes up with something, i see him again on dec 13, enough of the gloomy stuff, has anyone heard of or modified a gt to lever steering or better yet joy stick steering and drive like they have on wheel chairs, i have pilot controls on my skid steer and i am getting them tweeked so very little movement is required so i should be able to operate that,  i have been sitting on my toro z master but i dont have the strength to raise and lower the deck and the arm controls need to be moved beyond my range of motion so i think it will be sold in the spring, i have 2 toro 269 hyro units with foot controls for speed and forward and reverse, now since they are hydro i was thinking of putting a cylinder on it for steering, but i might be too fast, possibly an electric motor running on a threaded rod, any ideas would be helpful, i want to get this done soon while i still can, so many jobs so little time, thanks for any input / insight into this, farmer john    Wishing you all a safe and happy holiday season 

• rustyoldjunk, tractorgarden, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 03:45 AM

sorry to hear about your hard times.

I havent done anything with a toro so i don't know for sure, but most of the gts and lts I have seen have a linkage that goes from the steering box to one tire then another shaft goes in between the 2 if you removed the shaft from the steering box and had your cylinder or actuator bolt to the frame it would work. that is how the ps is setup on my jd 318

DSC00530.JPG

in this pic you can see the cylinder on the right side, now if i am thinking right you could run that to a momentary valve, or switch for steering.

• boyscout862, farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear that your having such problems . I did a few web searches and like you found co.s that do what your after not sure what that cost here's one of them .  Also saw they use joysticks in marine web sites . They may have some kind of upgrade to someone that have a steering wheel on their boat .

http://www.steeringd...ystick-steering

Edited by Alc, December 05, 2013 - 06:38 AM.

• MH81, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,586 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:57 AM

My uncle did that with a AC B. he just had a pump, valve, and cylinder. Worked really neat once you got used to it.
He made the steering wheel move in and out to run the system, but was still there to hold. The learning curve would've been easier if it wasnt a wheel IMHO or the turning of it ran the valve.
  • farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Pete Roman has converted a number of Power King tractors into various earth moving equipment and uses a joystick controller for most of his creations.I could get you contact information if you want to get in touch with him.

You can see one of his creations here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bFtZOlrYdaY

• Alc, tractorgarden, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#6 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 05:41 PM

thanks i went to the hydrolics industrial supply store, the best option seems to be a 2 way hyd cylinder and an electric/hydro self centering joy stick, push left, go left push right go right, release and the joystick centers itself and it goes straight, leave the foot contols alone on the toro 269h alone for speed, foward and reverse, thanks for the thoughts

• MH81, Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#7 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Just this once, I think an electric actuator would be the better choice.  A spring loaded center return switch, placed conveniently to your reach, would be the control device.  No hassles with hydro pumps, ports, hoses, etc.  Attach one end of the actuator to the frame, the other end to the steering arm, connect it to the switch, and that should be about all. 

• Alc, nbent, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#8 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Just this once, I think an electric actuator would be the better choice.  A spring loaded center return switch, placed conveniently to your reach, would be the control device.  No hassles with hydro pumps, ports, hoses, etc.  Attach one end of the actuator to the frame, the other end to the steering arm, connect it to the switch, and that should be about all. 

im with howard on this one. on our jd 544 wheel loader we addend an actuator for the 4x4 it works great 

some thing like these http://www.tolomatic...ators-Cylinder/

• Alc, farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#9 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 11:54 PM

thanks that certainly does look like a effective and simple solution ,