Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 01:42 AM

They're Carlisle snow blower tires actually.  Got them from Surpluscenter.com.  They were real inexpensive, only $46 for the pair and came on steel wheels, but I had to take those off so I could put them on a four bolt wheel, but might use the wheels they came with for a small trailer or something.

A  real good thread, but that doesn't look like the Sears GT18/6 I have.  Is this the one with a shaft from engine to a right angle drive, then a pulley from there to the tranny??

Also, it would be REAL helpful if you could post some of the basic dimensions of the electric power steering unit--would help the rest of us contemplating the same thing know what kind of space is needed.

Thanks!!

Smitty

#47 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:23 AM

Your golden, if that set up works, I figured someone would figure it out eventually. It may not be quite as responsive or as sensitive,but anything is better than nothing, oh and that thing can source some amps so be ready to feed it on a loader equipped rig.

#48 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted February 19, 2015 - 01:58 AM

A  real good thread, but that doesn't look like the Sears GT18/6 I have.  Is this the one with a shaft from engine to a right angle drive, then a pulley from there to the tranny??

Also, it would be REAL helpful if you could post some of the basic dimensions of the electric power steering unit--would help the rest of us contemplating the same thing know what kind of space is needed.

Thanks!!

Smitty

I tried to take some pics for you of the steering mechanism inside the chassis but they came out pretty poor as the chassis and tower are all back together and the engine is in. My model # is 917.255910, the frame is 13" wide. Essentially what I did to make it fit was cut off the long shaft on the Saturn box until there was about 1 1/2" left. The other shaft on the the other side I left as is. Both sides were splined (metric) but I didn't mess with trying to find adapters, would've been too long. I just took a 3" piece of 5/8" DOM, bored half of it out with a 47/64 bit, and the other half with one over 3/4. I slipped these over the Saturn box shaft and welded it up. I basically kept the stock steering shaft (from the wheel to the stock steering gear) the same length, I just cut the difference out to make the Saturn box fit if that makes sense. I had to reuse the stock steering shaft because there's a taper for the steering wheel as well as reusing the gear on the end of it. I'd be happy to answer any questions and will try to take more pics if I can find some good angles. I'm still not out of the woods yet, still haven't wired it up and tested it yet so it's not a done deal. I can say though that I don't think this would work on a hydrostatic as the shaft going from the engine to the hydrostat would really limit the amount of room you have.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#49 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted July 22, 2015 - 04:42 PM

Haven't been on here in awhile, been real busy around the house with other projects the last few months, but I'm happy to report that I finally got everything wired up and the Saturn steering box works beautifully!   I wired a switch in so I can turn it on and off.  It's probably not AS responsive as hydraulic power steering would be, but for what I'm doing it's sure a lot easier and smoother than cranking on it manually and you can sure feel the difference of not having it to assist you when you turn it off.  Now I need to get my loader finished to see how it performs with the added load on it, that'll be the real test.  I'll try to take a few short videos of it (my be hard to hear it working as it doesn't make a sound) and get them posted on here in the near future.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#50 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 23, 2015 - 05:37 AM

Great to hear your plans came together as they did . Will you be able to wire the p/s to the ignition so it's on when the engine is or will you always have to use a separate switch ?

#51 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 11:26 PM

Great to hear your plans came together as they did . Will you be able to wire the p/s to the ignition so it's on when the engine is or will you always have to use a separate switch ?

Originally I had it tagged onto the headlight switch, but I have sort of wiring issue I have to figure out as I don't have any juice to the headlights or the PTO. I wanted to get on with it and get the thing working so I just put a switch in with an inline fuse straight off the positive terminal of the battery, but yes you could just wire it into the ignition so it turns on and off with the key
  • Alc said thank you