#16 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:18 PM

170 Watts divided by 12 volts equals 14.16 amps

220 Watts divided by 12 volts equals  18.3 amps.

• Firemang said thank you

#17 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Another option if you wanted to go electric.

www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=472058

Edited by MH81, December 07, 2013 - 10:36 PM.

• ducky, MH81, middleageddeere and 3 others have said thanks

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:32 PM

Those torque multipliers are way over priced!!

Power steering is no simple feat but can be done many ways.

Have you considered changing  your FEL build over to a hydro tractor?

#19 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 11:49 PM

Also, don't forget that torque multipliers as well as the electric power units increase the force that your steering gear box and drag link sees but does nothing to increase their strength. Whereas a full hydraulic power steering system (with axle mounted cylinder, not drag link style) or even one like on a John Deere 400 uses a hydraulic ram to apply the force closer to the end of the system.

• MH81 and MountainMichael have said thanks

#20 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Those torque multipliers are way over priced!!

Power steering is no simple feat but can be done many ways.

Have you considered changing  your FEL build over to a hydro tractor?

Yeah I have, but the frame on the Ford LGT 145 is tubular and has a rake to it, would be a complete pain in the butt to mount the FEL to, plus I've got some other plans for the 145.  The Sears kinda dropped into my lap, got it dirt cheap.  I've thought about selling it and finding another tractor that has a Hydro but havent found any that are in decent shape and are HD type garden tractors.  So far all I've found are the flimsy Home Depot/Lowes kind.

#21 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 12:22 AM

Also, don't forget that torque multipliers as well as the electric power units increase the force that your steering gear box and drag link sees but does nothing to increase their strength. Whereas a full hydraulic power steering system (with axle mounted cylinder, not drag link style) or even one like on a John Deere 400 uses a hydraulic ram to apply the force closer to the end of the system.

i was going to beef up the steering linkage anyways, the steering rod arms are only 3/8" so I was going to build new ones out of 5/8" or 3/4" cold rolled.  I need to beef up the spindles to 1" with a 4 bolt hub anyways, as thats what PF-Engineering recommends.  Right now my plan is just to rebuild all the steering, maybe save the column.

#22 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Another option if you wanted to go electric.

www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=472058

So I finally had a chance to watch this video link, pretty slick idea. Do you know what this wiring harness he got from eBay is he's talking about or who makes/sells it? Is that an electric steering motor he uses off a Saturn vue or a wiper setup? Looks a little big to be a wiper motor

#23 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 01:55 AM

So I finally had a chance to watch this video link, pretty slick idea. Do you know what this wiring harness he got from eBay is he's talking about or who makes/sells it? Is that an electric steering motor he uses off a Saturn vue or a wiper setup? Looks a little big to be a wiper motor

Forget my last, I followed the link you had posted to "mytractorforum" and followed the thread that the guy had on there and was able to find the guy selling the harness on eBay.  I really think this is the route I'll try.  I've found a Saturn Vue at a local Pick and Pull and just need to call to see if the power assist steering unit is still in it.  The eBay harness is $75 with shipping.  Might be alot of late nights rebuilding the steering, but if I can get it to work I think it'll be pretty slick, way cheaper than hydraulic.  I've gotta get the Ford 145 ready for Spring first, but after that it'll be onto this project.  I'll post pics and make good notes of how it goes.  Thanks all for the help and tips, Happy New Year too.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 06:10 AM

Looks like a pretty neat setup.

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 07:39 AM

How did this turn out, or is it still on the back burner?

#26 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Still on the back burner, I work as a Wildland Fire Captain out here in Oregon, think I've had 8 days off total since June 1st.  Just finishing up my rebuild on my Ford LGT 145 I started last summer, the Craftsman GT18 will be my winter project.  I have gotten a bunch of pieces cut and welded for the loader though, hopefully I'll have the Craftsman in the garage by the end of September and can start working on the front end, I'll keep ya posted though.

• MH81, KennyP and MountainMichael have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for doing the job! I imagine it can be pretty rough at times. Waiting of updates as time permits!

#28 firefight100 OFFLINE  

firefight100
  • Member No: 61728
  • 11 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted August 31, 2014 - 09:13 PM

This is a simple hydraulic steering setup used in the 60's by GM and Ford.  No power steering box needed. Everything is hooked to the steering rods.  Should be able to find a used system cheap.  Here is a link to a new one. 

http://www.classicin...control-valves/

• Firemang said thank you

#29 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • 140 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 07:25 PM

This is a simple hydraulic steering setup used in the 60's by GM and Ford.  No power steering box needed. Everything is hooked to the steering rods.  Should be able to find a used system cheap.  Here is a link to a new one. 

http://www.classicin...control-valves/

Yeah I'd love to do a hydraulic setup, but all the guys on here have told me it'd be a lot of work to add it to the tractor.  I'm adding a 4 to 8 GPM pump off the PTO end of the tractor to power my hydraulics for a FEL I'm currently chipping away at, and I'm going to use a loader valve with a "power beyond" port so I can add a mini backhoe later.  Unfortunately mine is a mid 80's GT18 that's geared, not a hydro.  Otherwise that kinda setup might work real easy, unless you think different.....?

#30 firefight100 OFFLINE  

firefight100
  • Member No: 61728
  • 11 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted September 01, 2014 - 09:20 PM

You would need a device called a flow divider to split the system.  Main flow would go to your bucket and the rest to the ps.  I bet this wouldn't be as difficult as the loader itself will be.

Like all upgrades though, you soon reach a point where it would have benn cheaper to sell what you had and buy what you need.

A loader on a 2 wheel drive tractor is very limited.

Buy a nice Kubota 4wd and be done with it.