• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ckrickets OFFLINE  

ckrickets
  • Member No: 49813
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hello, New here on the forum. Lots of great info.  I recently picked up a Jacobsen/Homelite 16hp Mower. Close side like the LGT 165.  Really good shape, decided to rebuild the deck since a couple of the bearings were shot and a pulley was pretty rotted.  everything else is in great shape. Deck still has all the original stickers.  Unfortunetly I can't read the model number of the deck, or I would give it - I can just barely make out the serial number.

Here's the question someone might be able to answer. The two outside pulleys  of the deck are 4 1/2" OD, but the the drive pulley (the double pulley)  in the middle is 5" OD - both top and bottom. Shouldnt all 3 blade pulleys be the same size?   Should I assume part of  the deck has been rebuilt before and someone changed out the double pulley and put in a 5" OD (both the side pulleys looked like they had the original paint.  I can get both 4 1/2" and 5" pulleys from Northern Tool, but before I do i thought I'd check.  At the end of the day does it make a difference?

I hope not to change out the double pulley as I cannot for the life of me get that one off the spindle, plus I'm afraid if I roached it I wouln't find a replacement, but if I need to I can figure that out.

I have not got around to getting pictures - thought I would take some before and after, but got tearing into the thing over the holiday w/ my Brother in law and by the time I thought about it we had the whole thing torn down.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Welcome to the forum! I have a closed side deck close by and went to measure the pulleys. The outside ones were the 4.5", but the center ones (double) is 4.75". The manual says the upper pulley should be a 5", but doesn't give a size on the one under it. Don't understand it, but that's all I can find out at the moment.

Here's the manual I have:

Attached File  Ford42 & 50 inch Mowers.pdf   1.06MB   69 downloads

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Welcome to the forum! I have a closed side deck close by and went to measure the pulleys. The outside ones were the 4.5", but the center ones (double) is 4.75". The manual says the upper pulley should be a 5", but doesn't give a size on the one under it. Don't understand it, but that's all I can find out at the moment.

Does the top pulley take a 5L belt while the lower pulley only gets a 4L belt?  That would account for some of the difference in pulley OD.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 04:49 PM

According to the parts listing they both get 1/2" belts.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#6 ckrickets OFFLINE  

ckrickets
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 07:46 PM

hey! thanks alot Kenny.  Just remeasured, looks like it is 4 3/4" on the stacked pulleys. both are the same.  so with that in mind, does that mean the center blade turns slightly slower than the two sides? interesting design feature, cant think of any reason for that.  I guess I'll get 4 1/2" pulleys.

By the way has anyone rebuilt the hydraulic cylinder on this model?  this one leaked, more like sprayed/gushed/poured.  it was the main reason I got such a good deal on it,  Anyway I pulled the cylinder apart, the problem was/is a deformed back up ring in the rod seal. The outside seal (debri scrape) was torn as well. I was gonna start hitting tractor parts places for new o rings and seals. Are the seals pretty common size or am I in for an adventure?

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Glad to hear your pulleys are the same. I haven't been into these cylinders as yet. Hopefully someone else will be along to answer those questions. If you have a good hydraulic supply house close by, they may be able to find some for you.

#8 ckrickets OFFLINE  

ckrickets
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 09:20 PM

one last question.

How important is it to have a "bearing shields" on the blade spindles?  I have seen them on many pictures of complete decks as well as the parts list. I can see the possitives, but nessesary?  I assume impossible to find, but could be frabricated.

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 07:06 AM

OK here goes: all bottom pulleysshould be danged close to the same size. On all deck sizes(42" and50") BUT top pulleys are different! The 50" deck has the largest pulley. And must use it or you run the risk of over heating your engine. All spindles are interchangeable as assemblies. Some had 1" I.d.bearings ( though Ipersonally have never seen this) and all others have the standard 25 mm I.d. bearings.
All bearing shields are the same( disc thingy under blade) and all belt tensioner pulleys and arms are as well
There are 2 different spindle housings; cast aluminum and fabbed steel.
Both use the same shafts and bearing unless you have the mysterious 1" units then your on your own?
Best bearing i have used is a FAG branded bearing. The cheap ones dont last but a season.

#10 ckrickets OFFLINE  

ckrickets
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Skyrydr.

Just to be clear the bearing shield is the Plate/bowl shaped thing under the blade, not the washer/bearing shield between the bearing and the pully/ blade adaptor right?  If so Do I NEED to have the bearing shield?  Should i start working on fabricating those or not waste the time.

CR

#11 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• Member No: 4764
  • 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 01:30 PM

I can say this much, the tension arm between the 42" and 50" deck are definitly different, the 42" arm is shorter than the 50 inch and will not work. Have run across that personally.

#12 jay nesbitt OFFLINE  

jay nesbitt

• Member No: 1288
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Crown supply can help with orings and backups. I 'm sure there are other places, but they've helped me many times (personally and professionally).

JAy

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Thanks Skyrydr.
 Just to be clear the bearing shield is the Plate/bowl shaped thing under the blade, not the washer/bearing shield between the bearing and the pully/ blade adaptor right?  If so Do I NEED to have the bearing shield?  Should i start working on fabricating those or not waste the time.
CR

Bowl shaped part underneath deck. You dont need it, but it does keep long grass from wrapping up and getting into the bearings.

#14 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 06:26 AM

I think someone messed with your 42" deck then?? As all 5 of mine are the same ??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford lgt 165, 145, pulley sizes