• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saukengines OFFLINE  

saukengines
  • Member No: 28701
  • 18 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 04:58 PM

I am working on restoring a Standard Twin, and I have a couple of questions about it. 

First, I need head gaskets, as the old ones are shot.  Is there any place that I can get new ones?  If not, is there some kind of material that I can get to make head gaskets out of? 

Second, I am attaching pictures of the front engine plate.  This is the part that the flywheel end of the crankshaft goes thru.  There is a metal cap to this part, and it appears that some sort of seal fits into it.  I am wondering if I am correct, does a seal belong there, and if so, what size is it.  It almost looks like a square cut o-ring fits there.  I am attaching pictures of this part.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Standard Twin (1) (1280x960).jpg
  • Standard Twin (2) (1280x960).jpg

• JRJ said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Can't help you on the seal business beyond saying that many engines had some sort of a coated rope packing back then more than rubber seals. 

Head gasket material is hard to find.  If you get a good reliable tracing, we can order one very easy and not too expensive from my gasket supplier.  You can get one and I'll get a couple to see if anyone else needs one in the world. 

Ben W.

• powerking56, Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think Ben's on to something with the rope packing. If it wasn't that, it was a leather ring. There is a manual for the twin in the manuals section. Does it show it?

There were 2 head gaskets per tractor. You might do good with them, Ben. As far as head gasket material, most of the antique engine parts guys carry it. You can find their contact info over on the stak.

• powerking56 and JRJ have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 06:36 AM

The rope and leather seals used to be available in old fashioned hardware stores. They had boxes with assorted sizes. Check out an old hardware store in your area. While there, look at what other interesting tractor related items they may have. Good Luck, Rick
  • superaben and JRJ have said thanks

#5 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 07:13 AM

You may also be able to get creative with rope style rear main seal material available at your local old school auto parts.  Pontiac used a rope style seal right up into the late 70's in all their V-8's.  Fel-Pro among others offers them.  I will post a part number when I get to work.

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:17 AM

You may also be able to get creative with rope style rear main seal material available at your local old school auto parts.  Pontiac used a rope style seal right up into the late 70's in all their V-8's.  Fel-Pro among others offers them.  I will post a part number when I get to work.

That's what I use a lot. They used to send a couple strips in every gasket set. I'd stash that away and opt for the rubber replacement seals. The last time I needed some, I either couldn't find the stash or it was gone. I ended up having to special order the rope and it seemed stupidly expensive. Seems like it was double what the rubber replacement cost. I think I looked it up for a Buick engine and a Ford and they were both about the same cost wise. I've got some rolls of the graphite impregnated rope that was used for water pump packing but I've never tried it in oil applications.

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#7 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Fel - Pro rope style rear main seal material  BS12173, not too expensive, we retail it at 7.00 in our Pontiac GTO catalog, so may be worth giving a try.  

NOTE: not trying to sell ours, you should be able to find on the shelf or order locally.

• DougT, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 04:04 PM

What is this engine and how old?  Have some pix, sounds interesting. Rope seals??? Must be real old. I've done them in 50's Chevs, but that stuff is pretty big around. What holds it in?  Not familiar with this engine at all.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 saukengines OFFLINE  

saukengines
  • Member No: 28701
  • 18 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the help everybody.  I have used the rope type seals before, and they will be too big around.  The gap that a seal could fit in is rather small.  The idea of using felt or leather is interesting, I will have to look into it and see what works.  I still have a long way to go on the project, and I am just starting to put the engine back together, so you may be hearing again from me for advice. 

By the way, the garden tractor is a 1936 model.  I am attaching a picture of the tractor.  Thanks again,

Carl

P.S.  I am still looking for a couple of parts, namely the tin piece that fits over the heads, as well as an air cleaner. 

Attached Thumbnails

• StandardTwin (1) (1280x960).jpg

#10 Standardtwin1 OFFLINE  

Standardtwin1
  • Member No: 50597
  • 41 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'd use graphite impregnated packing. McMaster-Carr sells it by the foot, and in different sizes. I used that to reseal the axle seals, which were cork, and essentially worthless.

As it's not a pressure lube system, but splash and windage tray, its not going to squirt out anyway.

Not hard to do....

Good Luck with it!!