• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:06 AM

If your talking for crown on gravel lane you only need 1/2 inch drop for every ft width . Gives enough run off for water.

Thanks! I think I'll go for the 5° as a total 'tilt' and also have a spot at 2.5°. That way I can make a ditch of sorts if I want to.

Now to figure out if this will work under the tractor. The blade itself is 8" tall. The 'swing' mechanism is 2.5" tall for a total of 10.5". May have to shorten the blade to 6" to get it to fit under there and clear the tractors lift cylinder. That is something I need to look into today!

• twostep said thank you

#47 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:14 AM

Kenny,

It looks olike the tilt is controlled by items #6 and #15 on the drawing in your post #24. That design looks like it would be pretty simple to set up. Another option would be to just drill a couple of sets of matching holes in the sleeve tube deal. First set of holes would be 0*, second could be 2.5* and third could be 5*.

I like that, simple and strong.

Another idea is from Motorgraders from the 50's with the crank handle for the tilt, bit more complicated but would give on-the-fly adjustments.

Ventures an idea with using the threaded third hitch from a Sears or Ford for the blade tilt.

Thought i would throw that out there.

If your talking for crown on gravel lane you only need 1/2 inch drop for every ft width . Gives enough run off for water.

Yes, or to one side with one ditch running along it/

With plow points at the ends you could also cut and clean out ditches with less stress on the moldboard and pivot.

Not very good pictures of my home built horse drawn ditcher/grader but i hope this gives you some more ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

• ditcher_grader.jpg
  • ditcher_grader1.jpg
  • ditcher_grader2.jpg

Edited by trowel, February 15, 2014 - 06:17 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#48 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 07:54 AM

That's shaping up nice Kenny, I'm looking forward to seeing it come together some more.
  • KennyP said thank you

#49 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Any and all ideas are welcome. I'm shooting from the hip here just figuring things out as I go. If all else fails, I can make a pull behind out of it. It will be quite heavy once it all goes together.

#50 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 08:29 AM

I would think some sort of "on the fly" tilt adjustment would be the most user friendly to operate plus if it was a crank system like trowel suggested you wouldn't be limited to just certain angles, it would be infinite adjustment within the whole range of motion... Just thinking out loud here, I know the space constraints are tight and I've never studied belly blades enough to know how feasible this would be. I'm gonna let you figure it all out in case I wanna build one someday :D
  • KennyP said thank you

#51 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 09:22 AM

I would think some sort of "on the fly" tilt adjustment would be the most user friendly to operate plus if it was a crank system like trowel suggested you wouldn't be limited to just certain angles, it would be infinite adjustment within the whole range of motion... Just thinking out loud here, I know the space constraints are tight and I've never studied belly blades enough to know how feasible this would be. I'm gonna let you figure it all out in case I wanna build one someday :D

That would be a better solution and may be the direction I go. Just need to study things a bit and see what 'goodies' I have stashed away.

#52 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:29 AM

I've thought about the mechanics of tilting a blade, and always come to the conclusion that your tilt needs to be easily adjustable.  Your rear wheels are providing the reference to "level" when you talk about tilting the blade, so as the blade cuts at a tilt, when the rear wheels move into the tilted area, the blade tilts even further.  I'm sure there is some practical limit to the process, but  don't have any experience myself.

• KennyP said thank you

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:55 AM

I don't think I can make anything to 'adjust on the fly'. But, if it is easier to adjust, I can stop and do that. Unless I figure out a way to use a window motor to turn the bolt. Hmmmmmmmm?

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 09:04 AM

I haven't given up yet! Just other things to get done around here since we are having decent weather. Tossing around the idea of using the boat 'tilt and trim' setup for the swing.

• olcowhand and trowel have said thanks

#55 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:13 PM

Kenny,

I haven't given up yet! Just other things to get done around here since we are having decent weather. Tossing around the idea of using the boat 'tilt and trim' setup for the swing.

I found this on the net today, could give you some more ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

• kenny.jpg

• IamSherwood, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#56 superiorpower OFFLINE  

superiorpower

• Member No: 3881
  • 41 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 10:50 PM

I'm watching. With interest. And with spinning gears in my noggin. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • trowel said thank you

#57 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:01 AM

Kenny,

I found this on the net today, could give you some more ideas.

That is like what I would like to do for the tilt. Thanks for the pic.

• trowel said thank you

#58 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:16 PM

I'm watching. With interest. And with spinning gears in my noggin. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then drool over this! Here's the blade welded together. It's 68" long right now.

Image015.jpg

It's sitting on 2 of my stands for the GT's front wheels. I have to weld some more side pieces at the top of them , but I can set the tires in them to get it up for ease to work on. Here's a rear stand.

Image016.jpg

• gopher said thank you

#59 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:36 PM

I have a factory grader blade on my 425 but have not had much of a chance to use it.Your's looks like it is going to turn out pretty good.I always had intentions of building one for years and a new one  just fell into my lap.I didn't even realize they made them for my machine.I think it was actually made for the newer X series.

Mine mounts from the rear and does not have down pressure.

Is it better to have it mount from the rear if you have no down pressure?

My thinking is that it will exert more pressure as it tries to cut in while mounting it on the front might have the opposite effect?

• KennyP and trowel have said thanks

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:47 PM

I have a factory grader blade on my 425 but have not had much of a chance to use it.Your's looks like it is going to turn out pretty good.I always had intentions of building one for years and a new one  just fell into my lap.I didn't even realize they made them for my machine.I think it was actually made for the newer X series.

Mine mounts from the rear and does not have down pressure.

Is it better to have it mount from the rear if you have no down pressure?

My thinking is that it will exert more pressure as it tries to cut in while mounting it on the front might have the opposite effect?

I haven't a clue what the difference would be on how it's mounted! Have you got pics of yours? I can use all the help I can find for this!

• trowel said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grader blade, ff20, implements, home made