Garden Tractor Forums banner

Grader Blade Build

13K views 70 replies 22 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
I cut apart the oxy/actylene rack I got from Aaron some time back. I needed to see what the metal would look like under the tractor. I won't be starting this right away. But I needed something to do for the next few days while the weather was nasty. So, after getting some measurements, I can work up a drawing to see how this will fit. I plan to use the deck lift for this. I have 3.5" of lift there, not sure what that will work out to with the pivot points as yet. There is plenty of room under the tractor @ 14.5". Blade is only 8" tall.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:77681]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:77680]

Here's a sneak peek at a chunk under the FF.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

It will be about 5' wide, with the ability to angle both fwd/back & left to right. Here's hoping it will work!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like a good project, always nice to have something to keep ourselves busy.

Reactions: KennyP and JRJ
#8 ·
Is this something that they had available for the FF's or is this a KP original?
This will be another KTP special, Alan! (KTP = Kenny's Tractor Port)

I'll start plugging the dimensions into the drawing tomorrow to see what works. I'm not sure if I can 'swing' it off the rear mower attachments, but would like to. That would put the pressure pushing on the mounts. We'll see! This may be an all winter build as I have to look at temps to work out there. But, if I can get it all figured out, it will go quick from there. Getting the swivel and tilt figured out will be the most fun.

Reactions: JRJ and TomLGT195
#10 ·
Ok, an Oxy/Acetylene rack converted into a grader blade. :worshippy1:

What's next Kenny, are you going to convert your cement

mixer into a snow blower? :smilewink:

Looking forward to the progress updates. :thumbs:
Don't have a cement mixer, Will!

Reactions: JRJ
#12 ·
Ok, an Oxy/Acetylene rack converted into a grader blade. :worshippy1:

What's next Kenny, are you going to convert your cement
mixer into a snow blower? :smilewink:

Looking forward to the progress updates. :thumbs:
Don't have a cement mixer, Will!
Kenny, you're going to have to find an inner tube, three spatulas, a chunk of garden hose and an old charcoal grill so you can build one...

#14 ·
Kenny, you're going to have to find an inner tube, three spatulas, a chunk of garden hose and an old charcoal grill so you can build one...
Is that what yours is?

#17 ·
That looks just about perfect sitting under that FF. Are you going to push or drag it. By that I mean attaching it to the front or rear of the frame. I've seen it done both ways.

Reactions: KennyP
#19 ·
That looks just about perfect sitting under that FF. Are you going to push or drag it. By that I mean attaching it to the front or rear of the frame. I've seen it done both ways.
Brian, not sure yet. Once I get a drawing going, I'll get that figured out.

Have you got something in mind for a cutting edge on the blade?
Will, hadn't thought about putting one on. It's 0.300" thick and at an angle where it meets the ground, so would take some time to wear it down. But I will keep that in mind.

Reactions: IamSherwood
#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm going to put this out here as an option. This will be very heavy on it's own, thus making it a possible challenge to get under there and hooked up. I may look into making it a pull behind with trailing wheels. Just an option at this point. I am going to weigh the one section of blade today. It is nearly half the total width, so that will give an idea of what finished weight will be. I plan to enlist Aaron to weld the two sections of blade together.

#21 ·
Pull it from the front making sure it is biast to the front. If you run down pressure on it , its best to lift the front wheels. I have many many hours on a moto- mower with one under it!! THEY WORK AWSOME!!!

#22 ·
Kenny, I've been :watch_over_fence: since you first got the tank holder. As Skyrydr2 said pull from the front, modified "A" type frame, possibly connected to front axle pivot?(don't know if it would be strong enough) Then use the deck lift on the rear. Maybe a hand crank on one side to cock the unit up or down to allow "dig" at the edge. You need to make this into a belly blade if for no other reason than the "cool factor." :rocker2: Plus, I need to see it done before starting mine. :smilewink:

#23 ·
I may be able to attach it at the front off the mule drive holder. Just have to see what that looks like, plus I would have the axle to go under. It's going to weigh about 70 lbs, so ease to attach will be the main concern. That could make the mule drive point a non use due to getting it under & between the front tires. I have some things to do outside today before it gets nasty, so I won't start drawing until tomorrow.

As far as the 'tilt' (side-to-side), I have a plan on that. It will be something similar to the older Sears grader blades with the two pipe sections. I'll get some more pics today of what I have been gathering for this.

#24 ·
I went ahead and got this pic of the other pieces I have to use for this.

Ingredient Wood Tints and shades Circle Cuisine

The 2 rounds are about 8.5" OD X 1/4" thick. I'll use them for the 'swivel'.

The pipe pieces are for the tilt. They fit together rather nicely. Here is what I hope to use them to build:

Font Parallel Engineering Slope Auto part

Attachments

#25 ·
Looks like a good starting point Kenny. I've seen the pull behind wheeled type York Rakes and they work very well. They use a castor wheel so that it will pivot.

Reactions: KennyP
#26 ·
My blade had angle, tilt, and pitch just like a full sized rig, to be honest I never really angled it, but I did use the tilt and pitch all the time.
Pitchdown for ffinish grading and pitch up for roughing/ contouring. It was a true working grading machine and my r/c track was the envy of area racing circuit.
So just a pinch more food for thought;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.