OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 02:15 PM

I think that the steering wheel center piece is important.

No matter how good a restro/refurb, if that's missing it sticks out like a big zit on the prom queen's nose  :D :D :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 06, 2014 - 02:16 PM.

• IamSherwood, superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#77 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Agreed it does need the logo on the wheel and also in front between the eyes...Then again you cant really go without the Bolens decals on the sides either....Dash is also important for it to look good. Actually all logos and decals are needed, its what makes the identity of the tractor. Without its tatoos its just another lawnmower :(

• superaben said thank you

#78 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:45 PM

And its once again time for an update.  You are looking at approximately three weeks of work here, this should bring us all up to date in fact. 

Virginia has jumped from comfortable, to warm, to negative 104, to comfortable, to 1 foot of snow, to cold, to rain, to mud, to comfortable all in three weeks.  Its been great.  Just wonderful. 

That has meant inconsistent tractor work.  One week I break my neck working on it, the next week I break my neck tripping over it as I wait for warm weather.  For about three weeks, this was all I saw:

IMG_8135.JPG

One tire had come off, and I stripped that side of the tractor with plans to get the other half the next day.  Then it got real cold real fast. 

I last showed the gas tank support and all that iron off the front of the tractor.  One cold night I was dumb enough to attempt pulling the shroud off.  Although I did nearly succumb to frostbite, the shroud came off. 

IMG_8138.JPG

Once it finally got warm about three weeks ago, I degreased under the tractor.  I was trying to avoid disturbing the hydraulic pump until now, but it had to come off.  Here it is in all its greasy glory, right before the ports got capped:

IMG_8149.JPG

Here is the engine shroud as it was yesterday, finally cleaned up a bit.  It looked real sharp after it became one even color of brown.  It was a real pain in the tail end to get that sucker off the engine, though. 

IMG_8140.JPG

These parts received (respectively) a visit with the sander, primer, and semi-gloss black in between cold snaps.  You are seeing a gas tank, two cylinder covers for the engine, heat shield, and top cover for the engine.  Gas tank brackets is there, too, I believe. 

IMG_8144.JPG IMG_8145.JPG

The white finish on these seat springs is IHC white.  I had to put in a little Farmall on this tractor, it'll run better that way.  No doubt about it. 

IMG_8146.JPG IMG_8141.JPG

Ford tractor red (8N red for those who care) is the finish of choice for the forklift attachment + hydraulic system...

IMG_8143.JPG

...and the wheel rims.  Here are two new 6 bolt rims for the front tires that will meet their new shoes tomorrow I hope. 

IMG_8142.JPG

Speaking of shoes, say goodbye to this setup for the rear.  Dave provided some "real tough man" tires for the rear.  :D

IMG_8153.JPG

Here was step by step for the dash:

IMG_8148.JPG

A little (!) bit of paint stripping later,

IMG_8136.JPG

A few whiffs of primer,

IMG_8151.JPG IMG_8152.JPG IMG_8137.JPG

And voila! the tractor is done.  The brown will wear well, Dave.  Come pick it up tomorrow, please.
:smilewink:

Now for the Bolens experts: what does this little do-hicky next to the PTO lever do for a living?  It is not in the IPL, so I was curious if it fits a certain attachment or what.

IMG_8147.JPG

Ben W.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8139.JPG

• OldBuzzard, IamSherwood, johndeereelfman and 3 others have said thanks

#79 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Now for the Bolens experts: what does this little do-hicky next to the PTO lever do for a living?  It is not in the IPL, so I was curious if it fits a certain attachment or what.

Should not be there.

• superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#80 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Should not be there.

Sort of figured that.  Looks like about the right size for a penlight holder, but not much else.  :thumbs:

Ben W. 

• trowel said thank you

#81 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Looking GOOOOOD!

Is that IH White a pretty good match for what was originally on that seat spring?  If it is, then painting the hood and seat/fender pan the same color would be OK by me.

Reason I'm asking is, that seat came off of an 1886-01 that I got over in PA, and that was the original paint on it. 

I'm surprised that you didn't put the new rears on instead of remounting those worn out AGs.

Speaking of tires/wheels, I'm still debating on whether to use the ones you have there, or putting on the set of duals I have on a 1250 right now.  In either case they will be 27" in tires as opposed the original  26" ones.

As for that "extra doohickey" leave it on, and I'll find out from the original owners what they used it for.  Should make for an interesting explanation  :D :D :D

Same goes for the fire extinguisher bracket. I'm betting that was there for some sort of regulation since they were using it as a dedicated forklift.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 09, 2014 - 08:41 PM.

• superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#82 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 09:13 PM

IHC white is an identical match in my books.  I have a "half and half" picture somewhere I think to show that for certain.  In the light it looked to have a bit more "cream" in it, but that may be because it is a higher gloss than the paint left on the part I compared. 

I took the unmolested seat spring into the local automotive paint shop and they read it with the paint reader on the computer.  They pulled out a BMW white and IHC white.  I choose IHC since I could get it for significantly less.  :thumbs:

I haven't touched the rear tires yet.  That's still the original red on the rims.  Tomorrow I'll get the old tired rubber off at the local tire shop (because I am absolutely NOT a tire guy) and then I'll get the rims cleaned and painted before it meets the new tires in a couple days. 

The good thing about using standard paint is that as long as you have the paint codes, which you will, you can get it premixed anywhere it is sold for a couple bucks a can.  If you decide to swap tires later on you'll be in good shape to do any repainting that might be required. 

I popped one rear off the bead and it is full of an antique variation of slime.  The tire guys will hate me, but its their job.  :wave:

The fire extinguisher bracket is long gone, unfortunately.  I pulled that off when the fender came off.  The base "shattered" from plastic age and dry rot when it came off.  I'd put a new one on, anyway.  The old faded plastic just wouldn't look right.

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard, johndeereelfman, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#83 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 09:49 PM

I took the unmolested seat spring into the local automotive paint shop and they read it with the paint reader on the computer.  They pulled out a BMW white and IHC white.  I choose IHC since I could get it for significantly less.  :thumbs:

Ah, should of slapped on the BMW white. Coulda charged more for no apparent reason. Kinda like using green and yellow.

#84 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, I'll definitely be putting an extinguisher on it.

Gotta do that since Willie gave me a couple of extinguishers just for that purpose  :D :D :D

#85 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:19 AM

Looks like your making progress.

Is that black a final coat? Are you using a paint gun?

#86 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 06:38 AM

Looking good Ben.

How do you find those stripping wheels? Do they work

pretty good?

#87 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 08:23 AM

Really coming right along Ben, the anticipation is growing.

#88 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Looks like your making progress.

Is that black a final coat? Are you using a paint gun?

I used a paint gun once and said never again.  It was not a good situation for the surrounding area.

The black will be a final coat, but that in the picture is not the final coat.  That is the first coat.  I did another and I might even do a third before it is done.  I like paint to wear well.  It takes longer, but it lasts as buzzards scrape their wings across the hood. 

Looking good Ben.

How do you find those stripping wheels? Do they work

pretty good?

This was the first time I bought a stripping wheel.  Surprisingly, I love it.  I was addicted to coarse sandpaper and a blaster before now (and still am), but this thing works great to take off decals and the like.

It is not a finish tool by any means, it scrapes up what it leaves but it does take off the material in a hurry.

Ben W.

• IamSherwood and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#89 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2014 - 07:53 PM

This was the first time I bought a stripping wheel.  Surprisingly, I love it.  I was addicted to coarse sandpaper and a blaster before now (and still am), but this thing works great to take off decals and the like.

It is not a finish tool by any means, it scrapes up what it leaves but it does take off the material in a hurry.

Ben W.

Favor the knotted wire wheels for heavy rust, thick paint and weld spatter removal.

Also works good on rounding edges.

• IamSherwood and superaben have said thanks

#90 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 10:35 PM

There are new shoes on the new front rims on a nearly new tractor as of tonight.  I have not swapped spindles yet to take the 4 bolt mount. 

IMG_8235.JPG

I also had the hood and fenders sandblasted.  That old paint was no good to sand and go over.  I don't know what it was, but it flaked and peeled and crumbled worse than anything I have had to strip off.  It was better off than under. 

IMG_8232.JPG IMG_8233.JPG IMG_8234.JPG

I also had the weight box blasted. 

IMG_8227.JPG

There was an impressive amount of corrosion in it.  I think mud and crud built up a few years too long.

IMG_8228.JPG

The local fabricators also crated me a lid for it.  See what you think:

IMG_8229.JPG IMG_8231.JPG

Now Dave needs to decide what decal he wants on the lid, if any.  A big Bolens husky man would look great. :smilewink:

Ben W.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8230.JPG
  • IMG_8236.JPG

Edited by superaben, March 12, 2014 - 10:39 PM.

• IamSherwood, johndeereelfman, trowel and 1 other said thanks