OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 12:15 PM

The tag on the mast says it's rated for 750 Lbs.

That exhaust WILL be replaced.  The danged thing blew as much out the rear at the driver as it did through the front.

Ben is going to cobble something together from something like a Ford 8N muffler.  I'd like an original muffler, but those thing go for absolutely insane prices.

• twostep and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#62 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 12:49 PM

If it were mine, I would put the hood back in the original position like you said, but then install the correct throttle control so the hood would not be cut. I am not in favor of retaining a poorly executed "fix" just because some dork did it before.

• Bolens 1000 and superaben have said thanks

#63 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, the original throttle setup would be 'proper', but to tell the truth, that push/pull/twist lock throttle is just a horrible design, and they never work properly for very long.

There's a reason Bolens went to the lever style throttle with the -02 and up.

I have another 1886-01 that I bought from an ex Bolens dealer.  It has a slot cut in the dash and one of the lever style throttles installed in it.

I asked him about that and he said that they did that to a lot of 1886-01s because of the pitiful push/pull throttle design.

• trowel said thank you

#64 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, the original throttle setup would be 'proper', but to tell the truth, that push/pull/twist lock throttle is just a horrible design, and they never work properly for very long.

I have another 1886-01 that I bought from an ex Bolens dealer.  It has a slot cut in the dash and one of the lever style throttles installed in it.

I asked him about that and he said that they did that to a lot of 1886-01s because of the pitiful push/pull throttle design.

The Twist-Lock cables work fine as long as they are not abused.

A lot of people turn the crap out of them and then try to adjust the speed with the "Lock" still on. They wont last long if you do that as they were designed for

1) Set desired speed, then Lock in place

2) To change speeds unlock the cable fully then adjust.

Those should last many years if you handle them like that

• blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#65 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 03:37 PM

750 is max weight I assume... so probably 3 or 400 at the end of the forks?

The WH GT14 use the twist lock style cables. The one on my '69 locks fine even though the plastic knob broke off and now I just have a pair of vicegrips on stub. What I don't like about them is the difficulty to finely adjust them. I'll be changing mine over to a lever style asap.

• superaben said thank you

#66 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Never like thoses too, changed to lever types.

#67 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:30 PM

750 is max weight I assume... so probably 3 or 400 at the end of the forks?

Usually forklifts have to be rated to the weakest part, with a load seated properly, so you are probably correct.  The theory would be that it could take 750# at full height if it was rated according to modern regulations. However, I doubt if that would be exactly secure. 

Ben W.

#68 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 19, 2014 - 10:40 PM

I suppose I ought to say what I've been up to. 

Pictures are in order first.  These are all a couple days late.   The tractor does not look the same today.  I pulled the shrouds off the engine for the first time two weeks ago to start degreasing. 

IMG_7955.JPG

That's probably the original solenoid still riding along even after it quit years ago.  There are two on the tractor.  Someone must have been too lazy to pull out the old one but they were motivated enough to drill out holes for the new one.

IMG_7956.JPG

Whoever painted the tractor must have used either a bad grade of paint or something like that.  That is the only excuse for the way it has cracked over the years. 

IMG_7957.JPG

What a beautiful greasy mess. 

IMG_7958.JPG

This is a vintage oil filter.  Is anyone collecting them?

IMG_7959.JPG

After having 16 degrees Monday morning, the last few evenings have weighed in with a heat wave of 55.  I sweated and sweated sanding and priming.  I don't have any pictures yet of the first speckles of color, I thought I took some but I guess I didn't.  I'll fix that. 

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#69 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 20, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Looking good Ben.

#70 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 01:53 AM

Well, ya gotta remember, it did belong to a Bolens dealership.

No doubt, it's a case of "The Cobbler's children..."  :D :D :D

• trowel and superaben have said thanks

#71 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:56 PM

As for tonight's update... well.  It is a delicious balmy 5 degrees outside and I'm cozily inside catching up on a mountain of paperwork. 

Pictures are lacking this evening.  Excuse me. 

I think the painting part of the project is coming to a halt this week until the weather gets at least 50.  I know painting in this kind of weather is like spitting in the wind. 

Saturday was in the upper fifties, although I spent most of the morning chasing down a compact tractor which conveniently decided to break down while the operator was cruising the highway between properties.  After I got back, it was too dang windy to spray any paint, so I cleaned and got some other projects pushed off the workbench and found that I still had a workbench buried under all the junk.  It was a surprising revelation. 

1/2 the tractor is primed a nice even coat of brown.  I've got the hood and fenders being sandblasted while the weight box is receiving a new cover, and then those parts can be painted. 

Both new front rims now are painted red. 

There's a lot of degreasing and cleaning going on.  That can be done in the cold and will probably be done in the cold. 

I've got pictures on my camera, and I'll let ya'll see what this creature is looking like now. 

Dave, I think all of the Ford fans hear will be proud to know that the red used on the rims and the forklift matches 100% to Ford tractor red, while IHC Farmall fans like me will be please that the hood and sheet metal will receive IH accent white. 

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard, johndeereelfman and trowel have said thanks

#72 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 12:20 AM

Sounds like it's starting to come together :thumbs:

#73 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 09:16 PM

Here is what came in the mail last night from Bob's Lawn and Garden:

Salvage muffler mount for the new muffler that will soon be produced.  For what its worth, if it turns out well I might turn out some extras for folks who want them. 

IMG_8123.JPG

NOS bushing for the steering wheel.  I hate slop in a steering wheel. 

IMG_8124.JPG

Two new grips for the PTO and shift levers:

IMG_8125.JPG

I went ahead and bought a NOS heat shield that mounts right at the operator's driving foot.  By the time I got what I was planning to hack out bent right, it was probably just as easy to let Bob send me one that was correct.

The bend was going to be important since I adjusted the foot pedal all the way pointing horizontal, otherwise you'd be whacking the daggone heat shield the whole time. 

IMG_8126.JPG IMG_8127.JPG

Last but not least, Dave gave me the go ahead to spend money on the single smallest part that makes the restoration complete.  I'm really tickled to get to put this on, I think it will make the tractor look perfect.  :smilewink:

IMG_8128.JPG

Ben W.

• MH81, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 7 others have said thanks

#74 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Sweet find with the emblem.

#75 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 398 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:29 AM

I have several steering wheel bushings for the large frame tractors if anyone is in need of them. I got a stick of Nylon from McMaster a few ago and turned it all into bushings.

• NJKen and superaben have said thanks