Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 07:27 AM

LMAO

Quite the video. Thanks for sharing that.

I gotta send that to my forktruck repair guy.LOL

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#32 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 01:23 PM

lol... this video was used as part of our non-OSHA compliant training at my old employer lol. I think it was more informational than the real video we had to watch

#33 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 09:48 PM

I suppose I ought to prove to all you good folks that I am actually earning my keep down here in Mount Solon, VA. 

The biggest news for the forklift has been all new hoses.  It was important to me to replace these birds.   They have cracked in some places, and the rubber is old.  However, more importantly, these hoses were built to fit standard hose lengths.  This means straight hose plus a non swiveling male pipe fitting at the end.  I was not fond of that, considering how to turn corners Green used standard pipe fittings that were corroding and rusting as well as leaking.  Using a non swivel elbow means that tightening is done with thread tape or sealing compound plus a jam nut.  Overtime, that doesn't quite cut it, and you end up with oil and gunk thick as bugs on a big truck's bumper.

To the left we have the brand new hose with built in swivels.  I do not show the union independent swivel that was still attached to the pump for the old hose.  That was the only thing keeping the hose from looking like a corkscrew as it was tightened. 

IMG_7131.JPG

Modern hydraulics give 1 piece elbows plus swivel.  It sure beats cast iron pipe.

IMG_7129.JPG

IMG_7127.JPG

There's a lot of degreasing to do, yet, too.  Here is why I wanted to get some fittings replaced:

IMG_7145.JPG

Someone who has a similar Bolens model that would use the same battery setup needs to chime in on how to recreate the battery hold downs.  Here's the fully functional but unoriginal setup:

IMG_7141.JPG

Currently, the valve block is in pieces while I get 4 o rings.  I don't believe the valves were the reason for the leakdown of the tilt cylinder.  We'll know that for certain in a day or two once the hydraulic shop who finally decided to take on the project gives me a report.

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#34 vbob OFFLINE  

vbob

• Member No: 7162
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:52 AM

I realize that this is the busy, silly season but can we get a update for christmas, please? :biting_nails:

• OldBuzzard and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#35 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 12:39 PM

Those modern swivel hydraulic fittings sure are an improvement over the old ones. New hoses are peace of mind over old ones, nothing like having a hose blow at the wrong time.

#36 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 08:31 PM

wait... black rubber bungee cords didn't come standard to hold the battery in place?  :smilewink:

#37 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 09:25 PM

I realize that this is the busy, silly season but can we get a update for christmas, please?

He's halfway to Tijuana with it by now.

• KennyP, superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#38 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Alright, alright, alright... the ship going to Tijuana filled up too quick, Cat, so I had to cancel that one.  Gee, why do you have to go spilling the beans all the time? 

The past two weeks were a bit slow on the 1886 department.  Attention right now is focused on the transmission and linkages.  The dampener is/was far out of adjustment, hydro oil begged me to be changed, and some linkages needed to be tightened up and dialed in to take up wear. 

I'll post some updates here this evening (maybe) or into the weekend.

Ben W.

• OldBuzzard, IamSherwood and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#39 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 05:32 PM

Suuuurrreeee would like a bit of an up date *nudge* *nudge* *hint* *hint* wink* *wink*  :D :D :D

• superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#40 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Suuuurrreeee would like a bit of an up date *nudge* *nudge* *hint* *hint* wink* *wink*  :D :D :D

????????????????

shipping%2Bcontainer%2BCosta%2BRica.jpg

I'm thinking it's in the grey one........

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#41 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 07:53 PM

hhhmmmm......could be.

Then again, I guess it's possible that a certain hat wearin, coffee guzzlin, seegar smoking rascal that has a serious case of lust for it may have up  and kidnapped it. Especially since it has that "Coffee Can" mod on the carb. :D :D :D

• IamSherwood, KennyP, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#42 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Popular demand has forced me to post an update.  I haven't forgotten (too much) but lately I wanted all my time to be out working and not posting.  Being sociable during the holidays took away all my frill time since orders still had to be shipped and I still wanted to turn wrenches on this Bolens. 

I'm rather excited about getting the new wheels and spindles on the front, and then impressing everyone with the tread OB picked for the rear.  I was hoping to get that done this week, but I am now in South Dakota for a training class for my 8-5 job.

We'll get that done next week.  We ought to get some clearance on this rig now.  :thumbs:

Thank goodness the Cessna power steering pump is in working shape, I hear parts are bears to find.

IMG_7144.JPG

I think the leaks will clean up now that the fittings were tightened.  I had to turn them nearly 1/4 before they slowed down enough to be snug.  I decided to leave those hoses "as is" since they are the old style wire braid and really don't carry all that much pressure. 

IMG_7153.JPG

This really doesn't show what the tranny looks like now.  I was not pleased with how hard the linkages were and how wimpy the brake system is.  That has been improved in a slight way, I think the pictures though are on my camera which is in Virginia.  That does not help me post in South Dakota.

Another project was IMG_7154.JPG

I doubt me if that pedal was supposed to be wrapped around that way. Someone did a number on it.  Look at this washer welded in to reinforce the mounting:

IMG_7143.JPG

I think I will probably leave that washer "as is" unless OB cares otherwise.  I sat and looked at it one night and almost broke out the air chisel, but I decided against it.  It does tell a story. 

The pedal's axle bent back straight.  OB has asked to extend the upper side of the pedal a bit so it is easier to use.  I have to agree that kicking the pedal with your toe to go into reverse was not my idea of convenient, especially use a high directional switching implement like a forklift.  He has some pictures he might be willing to share with us to explain it better. 

A lot of what I have done recently is not really post worthy.  I serviced the Eaton transmission, drained the vintage oil out and packaged it for sale on eBay antiques.  I adjusted the pedal dampener so hopefully it won't chatter quite so much.  The hydraulic tank also has been flushed.  I wish I could scrub the inside by all the junk that is coming out.  This system has not been cared for like it should, which is probably why that cylinder is in such bad shape.  I need to get a weld rewelded (Ryan! are you listening!) since the tank is directly mounted to the frame, one side needs to be ground down and cleaned up.  It must be a weak spot since it seems previous generations must have struggled welding it more than once.

Nobody helped me yet on the battery mounts.  IMG_7141.JPG

How are they supposed to look?  Anyone have a picture?

I'll get some more pictures of the current state of the machine this weekend when I am back in the sweet sunny south.

Ben W.

• MH81, KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#43 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Where in SD are you? Cvans grills a mean porterhouse.............

• KennyP and superaben have said thanks

#44 Brutusthebolens OFFLINE  

Brutusthebolens
  • Member No: 47893
  • 28 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hi Ben,

I have been lurking around this forum for some time now and this is my first post and I hope I can contribute.  I am submitting a couple of crops of the parts diagrams.  They show the battery hold downs which are L shaped (#20) and use a nut on the short leg.  They require a battery to have tabs on either end for securement.  It appears that you have one L hold down in your picture or maybe it isn't?

I hope this helps and keep up the good work!

Good Luck,

Mark K.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled-2.jpg
  • Untitled-4.jpg

• MH81, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 3 others have said thanks

#45 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Mark, thank you for posting, and welcome to officially being a part of the forum.  You need to be sure to chime in more often. :thumbs:

Ben W,