• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 loggin boy OFFLINE  

loggin boy

• Member No: 88
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 03:13 PM

does the ariens S-14 have a good solid engine? i need to know because i have an oppertunity to buy one

#2 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2010 - 12:05 AM

Loggin Boy, The S14 is a old Garden Tractor but is a well made heavy Tractor. The 14 kohler is a strong engine if It was well taken care of, If it smoke then it mite need to be rebuilt and that would cost a few bucks, but if you can do it your self then it will save you some money. the Ariens S and the GT are the same Tractor, with the only differanct is the GT is newer and has a steel seat pan. and the S is fiber glass James

#3 TonyRobe OFFLINE  

TonyRobe

• Member No: 24
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 02:08 AM

james if the engine smokes, your good at rebuilding small engines,

#4 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2010 - 09:14 AM

james if the engine smokes, your good at rebuilding small engines,

Tony. The kohler 14hp is not really a small engine, but is really easy to rebuild if you have done it a few Time's, and I have done it more then a few Time's more like 20 or so.Later James
  • loggin boy said thank you

#5 loggin boy OFFLINE  

loggin boy

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 04:44 PM

well thx alot guys. Idk if im going to buy it but it sounds like a good investment for $900

#6 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 25, 2010 - 08:26 PM

Let me know, if you need rebuild kit for the engine. I stip the engine down to valves and balance gears, take it to the machine shp, they charge no more than a 75.00 if they have to bore it and turn the crank, plus they acid dip it and clean up the head, the rebuild kits will run between 100 to 150.00 with ALL new parts, including valves, so around 200 bucks if you can turn the wrenches. These engines lasted over 2o years the last time around, they can last that long again if done right, just use all new parts, if you have to bore it, bore it, if the crank is worn turn it, no sense doing the work and doing it right. I have 2 Ariens, both around 1979-1980 models a GT14H and aGT18H, I gave 700 for the pair, but I really think I stole them,no one down here knows the difference between a GT and a LT. For 900 it should be in very good shape and maybe a front blade, have you tried to dicker with guy? Bottom line, if you like it, you can afford it, and you want it, then buy it. That's what I do.

#7 loggin boy OFFLINE  

loggin boy

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 26, 2010 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info guys i think i am going to buy it. Theres one problem though the dude won't pick up his phone. i really want it though.

#8 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 28, 2010 - 10:06 AM

Hunt him down, he's gotta be around somewhere

#9 loggin boy OFFLINE  

loggin boy

• 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 02:49 PM

im about to because i want that ariens but i also have another tractor in mind its a bolens though