• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 01:18 PM

We had 3500lbs of steel sheet delivered at work on a nice 4'x10' steel frame so I brought it home and set it up as a mini mezzanine in the shop, after looking at it there a few days Ive started to think I can make legs for this thing and use a cable and winch system to make a lift out of it instead of just a large shelf. If ne1 has something like this I'd appreciate some pics and info on its construction.

I know larger versions are avaible for cars to create more parking space so I'll be researching some of them as well. I wont likely start on it until spring because I dont like big projects in the shop over the winter so that allows plenty of time to solicit plans and ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

• mez1.JPG

• sacsr, boyscout862, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 01:36 PM

Wondering mind at work 24/7 pays off sometime. Assuming you mean lifting as in an engine or one end of a GT I think it would work. Adding a center post would give you more lifting power especially if you pull them in like you have them like a two GT stall to work on them.  

#3 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 01:40 PM

No Im talking about a four legged frame around the metal pallet, I could park a tractor pn it then lift it up and still park a couple more under it.

#4 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Something like this

Attached Thumbnails

• carlift.jpg

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 03:02 PM

This is a wall mounted lift.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5bPjk8AgtZQ

• kwj427, Alc, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 07:41 PM

if you use a winch better get a big one. i mounted a Warn 2000lbs. just the other day and it wont lift a 45" 2 stage blower without dropping it back down.

id say the blower weighs in at 300-350lbs.

• Alc and Lance Skene have said thanks

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 07:58 PM

This is the set up I designed and use. Doesn't look like much, but I can store 12 garden tractors in roughly a 12' x 12' area. It tractor weigh in right around 600 pounds each.

Tractor Pictures 380.JPG

The platform consists of 6 elevated shelves, supported by 4" x 4" posts. The post set in 6" PVC piping that was cemented into the ground. I first dug my holes about 12" diameter, poured a good 4" think footer at the base, center my 6" PVC pipe, then poured roughly 3" of concrete around the perimeter of the PVC, keeping the center of the pipe hollow. Once the concrete was set up, I chamfered the corners of the 4" x 4" post so that it would fit down inside the PVC pipe and set firmly on the concrete footer. After determining the height needed for clearing the steering wheels and lift handles, I cut the posts to the heights required. I laid my posts out in this type of layout ( : : : )

Each elevated tractor sets on it own shelf platform, roughly 3' wide by 6' long. The framing for each of the platforms is out of 2 x 6's, spaced on 16" centers, and I used 3/4" plywood for the decking. The framing that supports each shelf are 2 x 12's. These are not nailed to the 4" x 4" posts, so that they can be removable. I nailed 6" long 2 x 4 blocks to the posts, roughly 11 1/2" down from the top of my support posts, as these will be what supports the 2 x 12's. To the face of these 6" 2 x 4's, I nailed 17 1/2" long 2 x 4's, keeping the bottom of both 2 x 4's even. This will keep the 2 x 12's from rolling or falling over while sitting on top of the 6" 2 x 4's.

Tractor Pictures 372.JPG

If you look at the picture, you can kind of tell what I'm trying to explain above. This system works really well, and the nice part about it is, it is all removable. I can remove just one shelf, or all of the front three shelves, or one front and one back shelf. The posts all lift out of their holes, so the only thing that isn't removable are the 6" PVC pipes cemented into the ground, or in you case, the floor. One thing that I would recommend with this shelving system, is that you should try and utilize at least two good walls to help give the whole set up stability. In the picture, I framed the shelving system between three walls of a pole shed that I had at my old residence. At our current residence, I only use two walls. No changes in the effect, and the system still works great. I just don't recommend trying this system as a free standing structure.

As for getting my tractors up or down off of the shelf, I built what I call as a half shelf. Basically it is a framed box made out of 4" x 4" posts and 2 x 6's, with a finished height that equals half the height of my elevated shelves and the finished floor. I simply ramp my tractor up onto the half shelf, then ramp it again up onto the shelf. For my heavier tractors, I used a winch and straps to help pull the tractor up.

Tractor Pictures 382.JPG Tractor Pictures 383.JPG

Might not be what you are looking for, but I thought I'd just throw it out there for you as an alternative method to think about. Good luck to you with what ever you decide to do. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, December 02, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• Alc, sacsr, Newpaws493 and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Since I already have the free 4'x10' pallet that will be the size of the platform, similar idea to the wall mounted unit but this will have four legs and be free standing, possibly with detachable wheels so that it can moved around easily when theres nothing on the deck. Since I work metal fab I should be able to build something at very little cost. 

Nice collection of JDs elfman.... u might be addicted to GTs when...... lolol

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Lance. I know I'm addicted. Tried getting some help from one of the local Doctors, but soon found out that he has a collection of his own! Stopped going to him, as I didn't want to fund "his" collection anymore. Might as well just put the money into my own collection, and accept that I'll always have this addiction.

Oh, and as far as the Doc, he now comes to see me. Well, whenever he needs parts or advice anyway. Strange how things work out! 

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 10:28 AM

I did the same thing, built mine using 4x4's and 2x6's, I think it's like 42" wide and 70" long, just big enough to fit the Sears on and wide enough at bottom to park another tractor under. I built it just high enough for my other Sears to go under, didn't think about the Massey as it's taller, but it's almost touching the wall anyway with the 3 pt arms on it so it's all good.

I use my engine cherry picker/recovery strap to put it up there, dread getting it down this next summer when we move..

photobucket-1218-1349952498578.jpg

photobucket-2124-1349952514379.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, December 03, 2013 - 10:30 AM.

• Alc, johndeereelfman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Well im glad to see Im not the only one that cant turn around in the shop some days..lol

Thanks to Old Man Winter Ive hardly been able to get into the shop this week so havent put more thought into this yet but some of you have got the same problems and ideas, I just happen to work steel so thats usually my chosen building material, and Im gettin a bit old and lazy so I also want an easy solution. Whatever goes up on this lift will have to come down often enough that using ramps or cherry pickers would be too much trouble, I want to be able to drive away anything under the lift and then press a button to bring it down.

• johndeereelfman and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 11:39 PM

I got an idea. Since you have access to steel, is it tube or pipe?

If yes, you could mount a larger piece on outside of frame at each corner. Then the smaller pipe could be cut to desired height of shelf and slide in outside pieces, install castors on bottom . Drill a large hole through both then bolt it with like 5/8" Grade 8 bolts. Mount you winch up on ceiling some where, wheel your platform under winch, hook to platform. Lift up slightly, removed bolts, then let winch down. Pipes/tube will slide through outside ones until you get it to the floor. Make a small ramp and drive tractor off. Similar to the 4 post lifts.

• Lance Skene said thank you

#13 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 04:41 AM

We dont generally have alot of tubing in stock, and its usually small, 2" or 3", but we have alot of flat sheet up to 3/8" thick and all the toys to cut,bend and weld it into whatever shape might be needed, we have copper, aluminum,zinq, steel, and stainless steel. Anything that isnt currently in stock can be ordered in but I can usually find most of what I need in the scrape bins and I dont have to pay for anything that comes out of them, or if I do have to shear pieces from new sheet I get a nice discount.

I have several ideas in mind but one thats starting to stand out....

Four legs made from 1/4 plate bent into 6"x6" angles 12' tall(max height inside shop), joined top and bottom with 3"x3" angles to create a 6 sided rectangular frame and 'X' crossed supports on three sides and the top, leaving one side open as access to drive on tractors or whatever else, with the existing platform frame inside so that ithe 6x6 angles fit around each corner restricting sideways movement, but would allow up/down movement.

The existing platform is about 7" thick so Im thinking I could mount a winch to the underside of the center crossmember so that even if the frame is down sitting on the floor the winch itself would not touch the floor, dual cables off the spool can be split into four separate cables to a pulley on each of the four corners and then run up thru the platform to the top of each leg, around a pulley and then back down and attached to the top of the platform, that would reduce the speed and workload of the winch by 50%. Holes drilled at the desired height would allow pins to be installed so that the weight is not supported by the winch at all times. Temporary wheels could be added if/when the entire unit needs to be moved.

That make any sense? Am I missing anything?