• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 10:28 AM

I noticed the front wheels had quite abit of play in them.. took off the dust cap to tighten the nut..  NO nut !!

There is a coller with an allen going thru it..  nothing like my LG frame..  Now if that is correct,, are shims the only way to take up some of the play ???

Are there bearings in it at all or just bushings... I want to take it appart but thought I would ask first..

I could not find a manual for the 1556 to show the exploded view of the front wheels...

I'm also trying to find the Model and serial #s on the body of my TF 1556.. I have them from the engine but not the frame

Any help on either topic would be APP.          Thanks   sodi..

• JRJ said thank you

#2 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I noticed the front wheels had quite abit of play in them.. took off the dust cap to tighten the nut..  NO nut !!

There is a coller with an allen going thru it..  nothing like my LG frame..  Now if that is correct,, are shims the only way to take up some of the play ???

Are there bearings in it at all or just bushings... I want to take it appart but thought I would ask first..

I could not find a manual for the 1556 to show the exploded view of the front wheels...

I'm also trying to find the Model and serial #s on the body of my TF 1556.. I have them from the engine but not the frame

Any help on either topic would be APP.          Thanks   sodi..

There should be two ball bearings(inner and outer), a washer, set collar and a #1187 857 Cap Screw 1/4-20 x 1.

• Alc, sodisr and JRJ have said thanks

#3 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:35 AM

There should be two ball bearings(inner and outer), a washer, set collar and a #1187 857 Cap Screw 1/4-20 x 1.

That all makes sence  But all the end-play.. ?   can the sloppyness be taken up ???

• JRJ and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Watch which manuals you are looking at as not all tube frames had the same bearings in their wheels.

My 1556 Parts list has the Ball bearing as a 1185616

Having a little play is normal and can be expected after 40+ years , you can add more shim washers if necessary.

• sodisr and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 02:57 PM

They are a Roller bearing not a tapper bearing like the Lg Frames So adding shim's are going to do nothing besides endplay I do believe you could find a Crossreference for the bearings

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Your local bearing supply house can likely cross-reference those bearings if you take them in.  It does sound like you have a roller bearing or bushing, and either will be worn after so many years.  A bit of warning, I replaced the front bearings on my Massey, and while it did help, there is still some movement, probably where the old bearings wore a bit on the axle.

• sodisr and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 09:44 AM

By looking at it ,, It seems like the play is in-and out.  I think shims would work. 1 on inside 1 on outside . That's what I thought I was going to do by turning in the nut a little and take out some of the end-play......Now to find washers with that dia. inside..

Thanks  sodi

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:36 PM

Got the washers and put them on...   AFTER  I repainted the rims in and out    :mad2:  It burns my a$$ when someone paints a tractor and leaves overspray on the wheels and tires... Anyway got the washers on ,,bearings seem OK.. But the control-arm-bushings seem to be the worse,where most of the play is coming from.. I read you can still get the bushings,, Have to call BOB , or call MCMaster for some bushings..  Do those bushings just press out or tap out ???  I couldn't make out what pt.# those where,, or the dimentions I need.  Time for the calipers !!