MF7 advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeFarrell OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1722
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 10:13 AM

First off, this is an excellent repository and I regret that I didn't find this before i got myself into this trick bag.
I have an old, 1967 I believe, MF7 with the deck and snow thrower. I live out in the IL farm country and it is just too small for my property(6 acres, 3 mowed). It is sitting behind my barn after consuming another set of rings and maybe the cylinder this time. The carb float stuck while I was trying the snow thrower out and you can guess the end results. My questions are:
What can I repower this with?
Is it worth continuing to try and use this or is there someone with a smaller property and more mechanical aptitude than I that will give it a home?(I'm in IT for a reason...)

Thanks to everyone and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,721 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 11:50 AM

While well built, the 7's & 8's were designed for Suburbia use. The 10's and 12's (& larger) were more suited for your size property.

As for remotoring, there are a couple of threads on GTTALK regarding repowering of older tractors. You might take the opportunity to read a couple, some with mixed results, and decide if this is a path you want to go down.

My $.02 is that you'll have substantial dollars in remotoring & you may as well invest it in an older, yet larger unit (watch Craigslist & etc)

:welcometogttalk: and glad to have you here.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 12:17 PM

I too agree that you would be further ahead selling your MF7 and finding another older more appropriate garden tractor for your size property. You can post the Massey MF7 for sale on the GTtalk Classifieds.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 01:45 PM

:wave: MikeFarrell! Great to have you on board! There are a lot of "good homes" to be had around here LOL! I think that George (NUTNDUN) has given some sound advice. These older machines are fun to play with...if that's what you're into, otherwise they can be a challenge. Check your local craigslist and I'm sure you'll find a suitable newer, older machine that will serve you well. In the meantime, you could post you 7 in the classifieds section. Thanks for dropping in and Merry Christmas / Happy New Year to you as well!

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hello again Mike, glad you could join us.

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 03:22 PM

i think you have the h70 engine in there? which is an aluminum bore. not really meant to be used for more than 30 minutes at a time. obviously with 3 acres and a 34" deck youre running a little longer than that LOL. if you bought a 8 it would have the hm80 which has a cast iron liner. you can look for one of those, theyre pretty much a drop in fit. or if youre lucky youll find a hh80 cast iron block. the problem with these old motors is the parts supply isnt great. you can put in a newer motor like a harbor freight 6.5 but with the slant design youll have to do some body work which would ruin the tractor and make it worthless. youd be better off selling it and getting a murray. its a nice little machine though....