Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone See One Of These Bolens Hi-Wheel Tractors?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 01:18 PM

I was looking through one of my early Bolens Brochures and figured I'd ask if anyone has ever seen one of these or if one of you collectors has one hidden away.

Its Called the Bolens Hi Wheel and looks to be gigantic compared to all the other walkbehinds Bolens made.

Could you imagine how hard it must be to handle one of these things in a field?!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4555.JPG
  • DSCN4556.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, blackjackjakexxix, tractorgarden and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Think of all the looks you'd get at Plow days having one of these big boys hauling through a field :D

Manual says 32'' Wheels

• blackjackjakexxix, tractorgarden and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Doc., I have never seen one of those, but man it sure is turning some sod over in that second photo and look how deep the furrow is

Thanks for sharing!!.

• boyscout862 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Doc, that tractor was what they called the Huski-farmer. It was the biggest in the line and probably the hardest to find. Bolens made hy-wheel versions of at least the DJ, DQ, and Huski-gardener. Seems they even had 3 different sizes on top of that. I'll have to put that literature on the round tuit to scan. Here is a hy-wheel version of the DJ. If I remember right, this is the smallest they offered at 30" but I may be wrong. The pricing or these might be in that early price sheet I posted in Jerome's thread. I think there's a Gardener one hiding out there too.

bolenshywhllt.jpg              bolenshywlrt.jpg

• Alc, tractorgarden and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Doc, that tractor was what they called the Huski-farmer. It was the biggest in the line and probably the hardest to find. Bolens made hy-wheel versions of at least the DJ, DQ, and Huski-gardener. Seems they even had 3 different sizes on top of that. I'll have to put that literature on the round tuit to scan. Here is a hy-wheel version of the DJ. If I remember right, this is the smallest they offered at 30" but I may be wrong. The pricing or these might be in that early price sheet I posted in Jerome's thread. I think there's a Gardener one hiding out there too.

So it appears we have conflicting information once again!

My one Bolens Brochure illustrates the tractor & sickle as the "Farmer" and my early Brochure Has about 5 pages of info with pictures referring to this machine as a Hi Wheel :wtf:

The same picture is used in both brochures but they are called 2 different things!

There also was the Huski Hi Boy which I would like to find one day as well.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#6 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have found that bolens published literature is not always correct on things. I don't know that much about the steel wheel bolens tractors I have a lot of literature on them but no first hand experience with them. I have seen this tractor in person at a show before it's a serious beast. There is a guy in one of the yahoo groups that was restoring one awhile back if I remember right. Doug you don't have one of these units? I figured if anyone had one you would!
  • Bolens 1000 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:44 PM

I have found that bolens published literature is not always correct on things. I don't know that much about the steel wheel bolens tractors I have a lot of literature on them but no first hand experience with them. I have seen this tractor in person at a show before it's a serious beast. There is a guy in one of the yahoo groups that was restoring one awhile back if I remember right. Doug you don't have one of these units? I figured if anyone had one you would!

You bring up a good point, Its not the first time I have seen Bolens literature incorrect either.

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 09:11 PM

. Doug you don't have one of these units? I figured if anyone had one you would!

That's the one that got away! I'd lived a sheltered life and didn't even realize those existed until about 10 yrs ago.  A guy from Wisc came up to me at a show and asked if I knew anyone that would be interested in a Bolens. He showwed me some pictures that were as bad as the brochure. To me it looks like the early Simplicity but he swore it had a Bolens tag. I agreed to meet him at a show in Wisconsin to check it out and bring it back if I liked it. Called him the weekend before the show and everything was still a go. Drove to Wisc and no tractor. Didn't have time to get it out. I told him to let me know if he ever got it out. A couple years later I see one at Rochester IN show. Come to find out it was the tractor from Wisc and he had even delivered it to IN earlier in the week before everybody got there. Hummmmm.....  Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be. It went to Canada.

There is a Huski Hi-Boy hid out there. It's the hy-wheel version of the Gardener. I think that thing had 4 row implements that came with it. It spent its whole life on one farm in NJ black dirt. It didn't look very big until I went to load it and it wouldn't fit through the 48" side door of the trailer. I watched it all weekend hoping somebody else would buy it. I was doing good convincing myself I didn't need it. The last I was standing around there when the owner came by. We started talking and  one thing led to another and when the deal was done I'm not so sure he didn't pay me to take it. This is about all I can get of it.

DSC01692.JPG

My take on the hy-wheelers were that they would have the standard version and a hy wheel version of each model. Using the same generic picture to advertise 2 different things doesn't surprise me any. Photograhy wasn't real good and a lot of pictures are actually artist's drawings. The biggest difference in the hy wheel was the ability to vary the wheel spacings. If you look at the DJ pics I posted you can see some long shafts coming out and one in front of the engine that isn't normally there. Those shafts let the clutch assemblies and wheels slide in or out. The standard versions didn't do that.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 1 other said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 06:58 PM

How many Bolens walkbehinds do you have Doug?

Have any pictures of them?

I think I've seen a few of your power Ho's

#10 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 08:42 PM

gallery_416_8_548751.jpg

#11 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 10:00 PM

How many Bolens walkbehinds do you have Doug?

Have any pictures of them?

I think I've seen a few of your power Ho's

I never was much of a picture taker and you know the rule, If you don't have pictures, you don't have the tractors. We might turn up a few around here but I don't have much in the way of Power Hoes.

#12 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think I found one close to me in SE Ohio.

Craigslist Description and Image below - I've also linked the ad while it is active. $400 negotiable - wonder if that'd be a good deal - looks fairly solid and complete (i'm not searching - or need/want one). 

"Vintage 1945ish Bolens Huski Gardener w/cultivator. As is, where is, with no implied warantee. Asking $400.00 negotiable. Nice vintage piece of farm equipment."

http://parkersburg.e...4230467316.html

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens Huski Gardner.jpg