8 replies to this topic

#1 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hello i'm gathering up info for my next project.  There are a lot of JD's near me and am looking at putting together a GT loader of one brand or another.  So have some questions about the 318 series.  First off does it push enough fluid to run a front loader or would i need to add a separate pump? 

Next would be adding a rear hitch, i did a search found some 3pt kits for sale looks like they connect to the rockshaft to raise and lower?  How much weight can this lift, could i pick up a 300-lb weight box for ballast?

Next question is there a source for seals on the ps cylinder?  Then how much does a belly mower sell for in decent shape?  Final question how are the diesel version of these tractors, still get motor parts and are the hydraulics the same as with the gas models?  thanks for any info.

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:36 AM

i cant answer all of these but i can get some.

For a loader you will probably need a separate pump to run it

on the 3pt they do use the rockshaft to raise and lower, but i don't know how much they can lift. 

ps seal i don't know about but i imagine a local hydraulic repair shop could get them or they are probably online.

mower depends on location and shape my guess is $100

on the diesel versions from what i have heard they are good and they use the same hydraulics as the gas ones

• Oldford said thank you

#3 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for the info.  Am wondering why i don't see more of these tractors with loaders, seems like it would be a good fit.  Another question, will the 318 hydraulics run other brands of hydraulic rototillers off the rear hitch, like an Ingersoll for instance?

#4 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 03:03 PM

one reason there aren't a lot of loaders on the 300 series is cost, from what i have seen factory loaders usually sell for more then the tractor would. On the other brand equipment it depends on the piece i don't think the system on the tractor would have the flow rate to run a tiller and i think the jd tillers had a pump that mounted to the tractor.

If you want to run a lot of implements on hydraulics I would suggest mounting an additional system to the tractor for the sole purpose of running equipment.  

• Oldford said thank you

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 09:15 PM

An Ingersoll tiller would most likely not work, it runs at a much higher gpm and pressure than a normal gt will put out. No to mention it runs off engine oil, not hydraulic oil. It has been done, however. Someone down south adapted a Case tiller over to a 400 or 420 once.

318's are good GT's, but I consider the 322 and the 332 to be far superior. The 332 because it has more torque, uses less fuel, and the engine has a longer life span. The 322 because it's quieter, uses less fuel, and the Yanmar gas engine has a really long life span.

• Oldford said thank you

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Yeah there's a 332 for sale near me 2700 hours smokes after a rebuild has deck but no mule, front blade no lines or angle ram.  Wants 2100 for it more than i want to get involved he'll probably get it though for such a "poor state" things are expensive here.  Thanks for the info it all helps going down the road.

#7 twocyl OFFLINE  

twocyl

• Member No: 5074
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 10:47 PM

I bought that 332 in Maine for close to half of that.

#8 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 05:47 AM

While I love my 318s, I could be riding a pretty nicely equipped x728 for what I've sunk into them over the years.

But, back to your questions:

My loader runs off the tractor's hydraulics.  OR-Bilt and CTC make loaders which will run off the tractor's hydraulics, which I believe provide something like 4.8 GPM at 900 PSI.  As previsously posted, the loaders go for more than the tractor.

The 318's hydraulic tiller uses an auxillary hydraulic pump, so as long as you approached the Case conversion knowing you will need a pump, go for it.

I've lifted 700lbs with my 318's 3 point hitch.  I believe the rating for cat-0 is 400lbs, at 24" out from the draft arm mount.

There are Yanmar parts available at places other than Deere, but more expensive.

$100 is going to be a cheap mower deck.  A decent 50" runs $300 and up around here.

#9 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi

I have had my 1983 John Deere about six Year's now. I found it at a John Deere dealership in the back row with a flat front tire and Dead Battery. It was Taken in on trade the day before and I was told that it did not run. I Borrowed a set of jumper cables and once hooked to the battery it Roared to life. It's Hydraulic's & Power Steering worked fine and it came to me with an almost brand new MOW 140/318 Replacment 48" mowing deck which retail's for $1300.00 alone. I paid their asking price of $300.00 as is,  and returned with my truck and Trailer and drove it on. It mowed Two full acre's of Grass for me for almost Four Years. last winter I decided to restore it. I took it all the way down to a rolling Chassis. I Painted the frame, wheel's and body tins as well as the hood and Placed new decal's. While it was down for it's Restoration I decided to Place a New Onan P-218 Engine in it. I replaced it's original seat with one from an X-345 which is a suspension seat that flip's forward and put a new John Deere seat cushion repair kit on it. I bought the Rear bar Duro Brand tire's and wheel weight's for it and added a model 30 Hydraulic Tiller as well as a Model 54" Hydraulic Dirt dozer blade. All in and done as shown I have a total of $2600.00 in my Complete 318 Package as shown, and it does anything that I need it to. I did not have the fund's to speand on the newer more mdoern X-series machine's but these 318's are aas tough as Nail's so I did not mind Placing some hard earned money in this resto project. Regards, Hammerdown

001620.JPG

002547.JPG

005398.JPG

007338.JPG

john_Deere_30_Hydraulic_tiller_on_318_00

10914.JPG

002482.JPG

• hdg4400 and twostep have said thanks