#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Well, last weekend my cousin finally came through with the funds, and bought our 1954 John Deere 50 farm tractor. Of course, when he came to look at it last Saturday, the batteries were dead and it wouldn't start, and we also found a crack in the coil. So, this week I spent charging both batteries, replaced the coil, and drained the old gas out of the gas tank. Today, Caleb and I filled the tank with fresh gas, installed the batteries back in her, and like clockwork, she fired right off without even making a full revolution.

We all hate to see the tractor go, and Caleb was a little disappointed because he never got to learn how to drive it. Well, I told him to straddle my knee, and we headed to the Church down the street. Once in the parking lot, I changed positions with him, and gave him the in's and out's of driving the tractor. He handled that tractor better than some old time farmers that I know. He looked like he had spent years driving that tractor. After about an hour of driving and learning, we headed back towards home. I was feeling proud of myself that I got to show him how to drive the 50 and for caring, and he was feeling real proud of his accomplishments. 

My cousin came around 6:30 tonight to drive the tractor home, an believe me, it hurt to watch him leave. Since it was dark, we turned the lights on for his travel, and after he was out of sight, I only realized that, that was the first time I ever had the lights on. I felt a sense of lose as he was driving away. Seeing our old tractor pull away, gave a feeling like I just lost a close family member. All I could do was just stand there, watching, and listening to the sound of the famous putt-putt-putt driving away in the distance. 

Now I know, it's just a tractor, and it is just a material thing, but this tractor has been a part of our collection for years. The kids and I have had such good times on this tractor, driving it around town, teaching them how the tractor operates, upsetting the neighbors with the straight stack, and spending good father, sons and daughter time together. I'll sure miss the old girl and the times that we have spent together, but I guess this is what it takes to make fond memories! 

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, powerking56 and 27 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Good story & she still made memories as she left. Thanks for sharing.

• hamman, Littledeere, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Troy, thanks for sharing your last day with the 50 with us. You will always have the memory of how Caleb took to it like a fish to water and the other times on it. Your kids will talk about the tractor years from now and smile.

Besides, it gives you a reason to go visit family from time to time.
  • hamman, Littledeere, johndeereelfman and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:59 PM

And with it leaveing may only be a begining for someone else, who knows Troy those tractors were built to last many life times.It may just find it's way home one day to a boy that once took a ride with his father.One that made a mark on his memory. :thumbs:   

• MH81, hamman, johndeereelfman and 6 others have said thanks

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yea, I know you guys are right. And I know I will get the chance to see it again. My cousin came to pick it up tonight so that he has it to pull people around tomorrow morning at the local Christmas Tree Farm. This is the very same place that we get our Christmas Tree from. Who knows, when that time comes in a couple of weeks, maybe they'll let me drive it back into the grove. But then again, if they don't, it'll be hard seeing someone else driving our old tractor.  :(

• hamman, JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:25 PM

Troy, Sorry to hear about the 50 leaving, but if your children are like I was, I bought a A/C WD45 a few years ago just because that's what Dad farmed with and it's the first farm tractor I ever ran on my own.

• hamman, johndeereelfman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Nice story, a bit sad, but just remember all the memories and good times you had with it.  thanks for sharing. Roger.

• johndeereelfman and JRJ have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for sharing the story with us, Troy!

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Troy, I do know how you feel.  You're attached to the tractor, and even more to the memories it represents.  You feel that when you walk out and lay your hand on the hood, you can relive some of those memories. 

Thankfully you sold it within your family, so you can always see it if you get a mind to do that. 

Ben W.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:10 AM

We all hate to see the tractor go, and Caleb was a little disappointed because he never got to learn how to drive it.

I forget, remind me again why you had to sell it.

• JRJ said thank you

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 08:41 AM

I can relate Troy, had to be a gut wrenching time.  BUT, she's going to family, so that has to be better than to just anyone.

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 10:38 AM

I forget, remind me again why you had to sell it.

Just couldn't see it setting here in town anymore. I don't see the time coming anytime soon to restore it, and it deserves to be out in the field working. Plus, we could use the extra money right now due to me being on partial lay off at work. The benefits of the extra money are nice right now, but I know the time will come that I'll regret selling the old girl. 

• LilysDad and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Troy, thanks for sharing that story with us.  I hope next time you see it, that it is under pleasant circumstances.  That will make it easier.  

I hope the kids are doing ok too.  It sounds like you had many great times with that 50.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:37 AM

I know the time will come that I'll regret selling the old girl. 

Troy, you never know.  Seeing the old girl poppin regular in the fields at your cousins might just reinforce that you did the right thing.  Just might make you feel proud you sold it so it could do what it was meant to do.  At least I hope that's how you end up feeling. 

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 12:35 PM

At the very least, you could get a nice photo of it in Christmas clothes and have it framed.