Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Can you feel the end-play or see it ??  would the rear wheels feel sloppy or how would I know if it needs adjustment.??

A gap may be visible as Brian said.  ....I have seen transaxles that were so loose that the tractor could be pushed with the wheel-lock pin engaged.  ...Other times a tractor might drive OK on flat ground, but would not climb a slope or move under load. 

If axle end-play is neglected too long, some expensive parts can be damaged!

• TimW said thank you

#17 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:32 PM

The previous owner had it right, he said he had broken the rear end.  I raised the tractor and pulled on the wheel and off it came.  Good or bad, pretty easy diagnosis even for an average dude like me.  This is a pic of the right wheel and axle, sheered right of.  Looks like it broke where a pin inserted.  I am sure the pic will make sense to anyone who has worked on these.

Attached Thumbnails

• FOTF8EC (1024x576).jpg

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yikes!

In that case your better off just swapping out tranny's and using this one as parts. This would require a rebuild to replace that shaft.

I had one break on my 850 as well a few years ago.... Maybe there were a few defective shafts that made their way out of the factory?

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Looks like mine broke in the same spot

http://gardentractor...0 transmission

#20 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:45 PM

The previous owner said he inherited it with the farm house he bought from the original owner,  He said he was mowing at a good clip, hit a bump, and that was it.  It is a super nice original that still had the original seat nice and intact.  He seemed to be remorseful for killing it.  I assured him I would give it a second chance at life.

Thanks to all

Tim

#21 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 10:40 AM

It's possible something is broken, or just the rear-axle end-play needs to be adjusted. 

Correct rear-axle end-play is important on these tube-frames.  ....It is very easy to adjust.

http://gardentractor...lay-adjustment/

Bruce.. And other EXPERTS.. I copied the end-play instructions took it out to the tractor,,Now did the PO change something ?  There are self-locking torque lock nuts on the wheel shaft.. Not the castle-nut and cotter key.. I'm going to try and adjust the axle adjust end play with those nuts..But did some years have a different setup with the nuts I discribed ??

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Its been about 5-6 years since I worked on one of the Hydrostatic tubeframes so I cannot recall if the hydros had the same lock nut configuration.

After looking at the partslist, the Hydrostatic Models did indeed have just a plain nut without a cotter pin.

I would assume these are of the Nylock type that you would just turn in to adjust.

• sodisr said thank you

#23 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted December 04, 2013 - 10:12 AM

I copied the end-play instructions took it out to the tractor,,Now did the PO change something ?  There are self-locking torque lock nuts on the wheel shaft.. Not the castle-nut and cotter key.. I'm going to try and adjust the axle adjust end play with those nuts..But did some years have a different setup with the nuts I discribed ??

I believe the link I posted was for the procedure to adjust the end-play on gear-drive tractors.  .....I never  adjusted a transaxle on a hydrostat model, so I'm not sure if the procedure is the same.

There should be info in the Tube-Frame Service Manual posted in the manuals forum, but I didn't check.  http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

• Bolens 1000 and sodisr have said thanks