• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Okay, here it goes, I have to consolidate the herd and I am trying to make a decision on a couple of tractors. They are a Kubota G5200 and a Deere 318. The Kubota has a mower deck and a blower while the 318 only has a deck. My dilemma is this, the 318 parts are everywhere and cheap, P/S, dual hydraulics, what I don't like at all is the hand control hydro. Kubota is a diesel and uses very little fuel, foot control hydro, no p/s or hydraulic lift, I use a winch for the blower, parts and accessories are almost non existent. Now do I put p/s and hydraulic lift on the kubota or convert the Deere to foot control? The kubota is my snow removal tool so I would have to pick up a blower for the deere which they seem to be plentiful.I have another Deere, a 445 that I cut the grass with so these are back up grass cutters. Or should I get rid of them both and get a blower for the 445? I have no preference between gas or diesel.    

• hamman, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 2 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 03:08 PM

JM2CW, keep the Kubota. That's just me I'm partial to them and I like the diesel. Thanks. Roger.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 03:08 PM

I personally would add P/S to the Kubota and you will save what it costs for the conversion in fuel savings. Just my thoughts.
  • hamman, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 03:24 PM

JM2CW, keep the Kubota. That's just me I'm partial to them and I like the diesel. Thanks. Roger.

I personally would add P/S to the Kubota and you will save what it costs for the conversion in fuel savings. Just my thoughts.

I agree with both so far.  It's an Eaton hydro, so you may be able to add hydraulics to it, or switch the entire hydro out with one that has hydraulics.  You will save several $'s in fuel with that diesel.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 03:52 PM

I agree with everyone,  so what do you do.

Dick

• hamman said thank you

#6 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 04:08 PM

"Or should I get rid of them both and get a blower for the 445?"

That's what I would do. Except I'd keep them both and get a blower for the 445. And then another tractor. And another...

Joe
  • Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 2 others have said thanks

#7 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Except I'd keep them both and get a blower for the 445. And then another tractor. And another...

I agree with Joe.

Edited by A.C.T., November 30, 2013 - 04:28 PM.

• hamman, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Rock farmer have said thanks

#8 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Well Joe, thats part of the problem, besides those three I also have a Massey 1855, MF12G, Simplicity 700 Wonderboy and a Yanmar 165D. I have the MF 12G on the classifieds here and am also considering getting rid of the Yanmar.  

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Re power the 445 with the kubota engine and get a snow blower for it, then it will be awesome
  • hamman said thank you

#10 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Well, I you can name all the GT's You own, You really don't have that meny! It's when You start just thinking of all your Wheel horses or, all your Simplicites that you've got a lot!
But seriously, as I think about it, there's really just two or three tractors I really should have.

1. A mower. It would be a GT of coarse, but the best mower deck for keeping the lawn under control. I have three acres.
This one could be kept nice and clean. A show tractor maybe.

2. A winter snow removal machine. Snow blower and plow. This one will be out in the wet and, would be hard to keep nice.

3. A tractor for ground engaging implements. Either one of the first two could do that. But of coarse not with the mower deck or blower on!
If I wanted a front end loader that would have to be a separate tractor.

If you get just one make and model of tractor, that would make life easier! I've decided I like a Kohler engine, a hydro trans ( preferably an Eaton) foot control, and hydro lift. power steering is nice but, not really needed until we talk FEL.

That being said, price and availability of attachments complicates everything! I love my mid mount grader blades! But, they only fit my wheel horses. I also have four farm tractors. I really don't need any! But I've got all those class 1 attachments!
I've decided to concentrate on my Jacobsen/Fords. I'll probably still keep four or five of them. And maybe another project tractor.
Having ten $200 tractors is not better than having one $2000 tractor. But having a $2000 tractor when you really only need a $500 tractor isn't too smart either.
You know what you really need and want. If it isn't there in your current herd. Sell them all and get what you really want!

Joe
  • hamman, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#11 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:07 PM

If I had to just keep one it would be the 445 and get a blower for it

• hamman said thank you

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Re power the 445 with the kubota engine and get a snow blower for it, then it will be awesome

????????????????

The Kubota is 14 Hp, and the JD is 22 Hp.

Why would he want to give up 8 horses?

I know that a diesel is nice, but not at the cost of that much Hp.

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 30, 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#13 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Buzzard, you are correct about the hp difference, but 14 hp is working now with the kubota and blower set up. Maybe he could match the size of the jd blower to the kubota engine, like a blower from a 332 possibly? If it would fit the 445 frame, problem solved.

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:41 PM

You guys know by now that I'm a Deere man, but if I weren't it'd be Kubota, so that's my vote. Besides it'll be fun getting it set up the way you've outlined.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I would go with the Kubota. Parts are out there, just not everywhere, the tractor does everything you want, selling the JD will get your tractor fund in the black and probably buy the ps parts too.

I'm not a huge diesel guy, but you speak highly of its capabilities and don't have a preference. Also, it already does everything it needs to, unless there is something it isn't set up for?