• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm like most I take a lot of joy when I can build something with what I have without having to buy something. I have racked my brain for several months thinking about this problem. I have a 5' x 10' utility trailer I built from a boat trailer several years ago making it first into a snowmobile then later a utility trailer. I took it all apart three years ago blasted, primed then painted. I replaced the springs, bought new tires & welded some uprights on it for sides. I have always wanted to slide the ramps under the trailer. I could have bought the materials but that's too easy right. I was fortunate many years ago I was doing a commercial trim job & the GC was selling everything he didn't want. I bought about thirty of these shelf uprights & have used some of them over the years mostly for shelves in the shop or inside my work van.

I will be using two on each side of each ramp. These are 6'L & my ramps are 7'L.

rails1.jpg

I bolted two together giving me a slide channel on each side of the ramp. These are upside down showing the side against the table will be the side I bolt to the bottom of my trailer. I have cross channels 4' apart these will bolt to under the trailer.

Rails2.jpg

This shows the 2"x10" PT wood ramp sitting inside the channels the way it will appear under the trailer.

Rails3.jpg

Now I have to figure a way to stop the ramp from sliding too far inside because these are a foot shorter than the ramp. I think I'll cut some short pieces & add them to the ends & cap the end to prevent. I will have some more pics later showing how I mounted. 

• hamman and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:38 PM

My neighbor recently did this with the metal ramps for his trailer. He simply left the angle pieces stick out slightly from the edge of the trailer, drilled a hole through the ramp and drops in a pin to secure the ramp from sliding. You could do the same by adding a piece of flat stock between the angle pieces so that you could center the pin. Good luck.

• Alc, hamman, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've used Channel iron for the runners and ran a rod accross them to block the movement. Mine had stops on backside tho. You could just use a pin like mentioned. Get good ones that won't fall or break out while your traveling bumpy roads, yet easy enough to not need tools to remove, which is PIA.

• hamman, Traill95 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:29 AM

We had 50 degree weather yesterday so I thought I would do some work outside for a change. I attached the rails under the trailer since I already had it on it's side. These rails are 6' long, a foot or so shorter than the ramps. I was thinking about extending the rails so I could put a piece across at the end to keep them from sliding in too far. My wife just happen to take a look at what I was doing & had a great idea...as usual  :D  She said to just put a stop block beneath the trailer bed floor after I floor it. I will just SIMPLY fasten a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the bed so they don't slide in too far. Two minds working alike is always better. 

ramps.jpg

• marlboro180, TAHOE and Sal Mcc have said thanks

#5 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sounds like a plan! When you get this done, please post some pictures, I have a similar thing i have been thinking about. 

• Sawdust said thank you