Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Me too, it's also rare to find a place that can cook them right!

I know what you mean. Their either bellering or a hockey puck!

My definition:

Rare should only be used for Tractors and attachments where only 1-5 of that brand/Model Exist  Any more than 5 its not rare as you still have to figure in all the ones who dont have internet that have them and how many are out in a field or barn waiting to be found.

Agree with you 100%

That's what got me thinking about this thread. I'm not trying to take any credit for what you've posted in the past. I just figured to start a thread trying to cover the subject. 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#17 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:30 AM

Alot of people call the Ridemaster rare but after all the time I spent looking up stuff on them I can tell you there not.  they most likly made from 7,500 to 10,000 of them over the years 10 years.  There is some models of the Ridemaster that are hard to find but there out there.  Only true rare Ridemaster is the 35AC there was only 4 made in 1949 and no has ever seen one.

• Bolens 1000 and Nato77 have said thanks

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:32 AM

Another thing I'd like to add is the word "Rare" can be taken off of an object at any time as more are found

For example we used to think the Bolens G11 was Rare but now we are at about 8+ that have been found online so I would no longer classify this tractor as Rare.

• IamSherwood, johndeereelfman and Nato77 have said thanks

#19 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Another thing I'd like to add is the word "Rare" can be taken off of an object at any time as more are found

For example we used to think the Bolens G11 was Rare but now we are at about 8+ that have been found online so I would no longer classify this tractor as Rare.

I have photos of more that members dont have...

Edited by wilberj, December 01, 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#20 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I agree this word is over used. But rare is not the only word over used with tractors - Restored and Collector are abused.

I have a rare restored collector that has been gone through. Of course it ran when parked!   

• johndeereelfman and Nato77 have said thanks

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I agree this word is over used. But rare is not the only word over used with tractors - Restored and Collector are abused.

I have a rare restored collector that has been gone through. Of course it ran when parked!   

Dont get me started! :smilewink:

I could get in a rant about the word "Restored" but I wont :angel:

• johndeereelfman, Nato77 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#22 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I wasn't going to post on this subject, but I want to add my two cents if it means anything.

The word Rare used to have a meaning back when I first got into this hobby in April 1989. Even then, I don't know that you could consider it a hobby, due to me only wanting one tractor to go with my Farm Toy collection, and also due to the garden tractors not really being sought after the way they are now. I just wanted a John Deere round fender 110. I didn't know much about them, and at the time, didn't really care. After getting my first 110 with the Owners Manual, and seeing all of the different types of Models, Years, and Attachments, only then did I decide that I wanted so much more. I'd go to the area dealerships and ask about the different options and attachments, and was quickly told, Good Luck in finding them, as they are extremely "Rare". This I took as a challenge. I studied the manuals I had, inside and out, just so I'd know what I'm looking for, and to be able to identify it if I did find it. I searched public auctions, yard sales, and flea markets, anywhere I thought my chances of finding these "Rare" items would be. Some I got dirt cheap, others I paid dear for. Either way, the collection is now complete. 

The items that were supposedly "Rare", were more in the line of "Hard to find". I was always told that they are extremely rare, but then later found out that I was probably one of the last people to have one. Rare to me means, searching all of your life looking for that "one of kind" piece that no one has, or just can't be found. People told me that the 1963 110 is the rarest tractor to be found, due to Deere only producing 1000 units. Yes, it took me some time, but eventually I not only found one, but I found two. And now that the collection is complete, it seems that the 1963 110's are found everywhere. The front mount 20 Air Compressor was another "Rare" item that I was told that I'd never find. Well, I have one, and have seen others. Neither of these items do I consider "Rare".

I don't know who is responsible for applying the word "Rare" into the garden tractor vocabulary, but it deffinately don't belong here. I have to agree with Doc on this one. Those items that have only been produced for once or twice, "could" be considered "Rare", but as more and more of them are found, then the term "Rare" needs to be taken away. Usually, the only time I use the word Rare is when trying to find those parts needed to complete a restoration. I search and I search, thinking that I'll never find the missing piece, when all of a sudden, I find it. Usually spend too much money buying it, but still, I got it.

But even now in today's garden tractor collecting, it seems like reproduction methods are taking away those rare finds or opportunities that used to excite us so much. You search for years and spend a lot of money on a very hard to find part, only to find that the same part is now being reproduced a month later, much cheaper than the time and money you spent on the original part. Don't get me wrong, I'm Thankful that the garden tractors are finally getting their moment in the sun, but to me, the feeling of finding those "Rare" and hard to find parts, tractors, and attachments, were themselves a "Rare" feeling in itself. What once was considered Rare, is probably more plentiful now then it has ever been, but for some reason, the pricing doesn't change. It used to be a great feeling knowing that you acquired something that nobody else had, or were told that you would never own. But now, it seems that everybody has what you have, and you are looking for the same things they are. Just kind of sucks the excitement right out of you. 

I still enjoy the collection, and I still get excited over a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it almost seems like those times are getting extremely "Rare".  :(

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Couldn't agree more!

• wilberj and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Before the days of internet, many more things were considered rare, simply because you couldn't find them so easily like you can now with internet & all.  They were there of course, but you simply couldn't find them.  Even my Bush Hog S4242 may not be so rare, but so far no other examples have been found/seen.  That could change.

I am guilty of saying restored myself when it doesn't apply.  I've never truly restored anything.  Restoring is a meticulous job to do, and requires everything to be OE.  None of my tractors were restored, rather refurbished, customized, or both.

• Sparky and Nato77 have said thanks

#25 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Rare is subjective.

Rare equals. Type it on ebay and if nothing comes up we can deem it rare lol
  • wilberj and Nato77 have said thanks

#26 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Rare or non-existent is a pic of a Bolens QE 16 electric prototype . It was built .    Rare is a pic of Gremlin X-144  144 volt car . I talked to a guy who worked on two versions of its' controllers .    Rare is the person who will speak candidly with first hand knowledge of the closing of the Elec-Trak plant  ( owned by parent company AMC ) . Still a sore subject .

• Nato77 said thank you

#27 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Couldn't agree more!

Um bud your agreeing with a john deere guy were would you like me to come get your tractors? :poke:  :smilewink:

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#28 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:26 PM

Rare or non-existent is a pic of a Bolens QE 16 electric prototype . It was built .    Rare is a pic of Gremlin X-144  144 volt car . I talked to a guy who worked on two versions of its' controllers .    Rare is the person who will speak candidly with first hand knowledge of the closing of the Elec-Trak plant  ( owned by parent company AMC ) . Still a sore subject .

Can I see the info?

#29 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:51 PM

I have been guilty of applying Rare to my Springfields in the past. But every year more turn up and as my collection of thm grew I have dropped the rare and started with uncommon or hard to find. Then I bought the Springfield garden cart. I think I can apply the word rare to that and not get beat up to much, cause I think it is the first or second I have seen even a picture of online. An face it, garden carts are not usually treated well throughout their life, and usually get thrown out in the end. I like my collection of Springfields, and certain implements are just plain rare for them, but the tractors themselves, are uncommon.
  • Nato77 said thank you

#30 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Rare are the times that I wished I hadn't logged on to GTT.

Great topic, and yes, I agree. It's way over used. Mostly by "quick buck

con artist sellers"

• Nato77 said thank you