Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Over the past few months I've noticed that there has been some discussion about the word "rare" and how everybody and their uncle is using it. It seems once someone attaches the word to something it sticks like glue and with as easy it is to Google something nowadays it gets blown out of context driving all the prices on our hobby up (and everything else). I guess if your selling something it wouldn't be bad but maybe false advertisement to get top dollar? Don't get me wrong there is plenty of "rare" things out there and they don't get the proper acknowledgement they deserve.

So perhaps we should stop using the word and replace it with "hard to find", "not common" or "haven't seen one of these in a coon's age". Yeah I know it will be a pain to spend a few more seconds typing some more words instead of just one, but maybe if we start now it'll correct its self one day.

Anyways just a thought

• hamman, tractorgarden, backwoods and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Rare = getting my youth back.. all the rest are hard to find in my eyes..  I'm with you on this.. I saw a add yesterday for a two door Tahoe. Rare it said.. phhht.. my buddy has two nice ones and three parts ones.. lots of em on the road here.. rare huh.. I dont think my 65 cuda is rare.. i can find em for sale any given day..  Rare.. its over used.. Except to describe the book that explains my wife..

• hamman, IamSherwood, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Over the past few months I've noticed that there has been some discussion about the word "rare" and how everybody and their uncle is using it.

If it wasn't for this and other forums, Ebay and CL, and Google, lots of stuff in this hobby would be considered rare depending on where you live. What's a Panzer? Bush Hog? Springfield? Speedex? I wouldn't be able to tell ya if it wasn't for this forum.

• hamman, wvbuzzmaster, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 07:33 AM

It is funny how one word can raise the price of the object of our hobby. Other words associated with the hobby that make it hard to buy and accuratrely evaluate a GT are, Vintage, Antique, Near Obsolete, and One Of A Kind.  I have a flashlight that i could post for sale and use  all of those words and it wouldn't be a lie. I have seen GTs that are hard to find but I wouldn't classify them as rare, by the way (rare)  is the way my wife likes her steak. JM2CW, Thanks. Roger.

• Nato77 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 07:39 AM

rare
re(ə)r/
adjective
(of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.
To find a Craigslist or EBay ad without the word rare in it is getting more difficult.

synonyms: infrequent, scarce, sparse, few and far between, thin on the ground, like gold dust, as scarce as hen's teeth; More
antonyms: common, frequent
  • hamman, boyscout862, Nato77 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 07:44 AM

, by the way (rare)  is the way my wife likes her steak. JM2CW, Thanks. Roger.

Me too, it's also rare to find a place that can cook them right!

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 07:54 AM

When you see an ad for a BushHog D4-10, you'll almost always see the word "rare" attached.  While there's not one on every street, or even town, and likely not one in every state, they are not rare.  Now my Bush Hog S4242 3pt rotary mower would qualify as rare, being none of us have seen another one to date. But it's not for sale anyway!  :D

• hamman, sacsr, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:08 AM

There are a lot of over used words now days. Have you seen the handmade cardboard sign that reads 'Huge garage sale'? You know that it's just average. . .  And don't get me started on Awesome, Amazing and , OMG. A lot of folks nowadays seem to have to find the most over-the-top adjective to describe everything in their sad, dreary little lives. "The meal I ate on Thursday was just Gi-hu-normous! (spellcheck really hated that word.)

• hamman, backwoods, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:23 AM

There are a lot of over used words now days. Have you seen the handmade cardboard sign that reads 'Huge garage sale'? You know that it's just average. . .  And don't get me started on Awesome, Amazing and , OMG. A lot of folks nowadays seem to have to find the most over-the-top adjective to describe everything in their sad, dreary little lives. "The meal I ate on Thursday was just Gi-hu-normous! (spellcheck really hated that word.)

We have spell check on here?

• hamman, backwoods, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Didn't someone already make a thread on "Rare"

• hamman said thank you

#11 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Over the past few months I've noticed that there has been some discussion about the word "rare" and how everybody and their uncle is using it. It seems once someone attaches the word to something it sticks like glue and with as easy it is to Google something nowadays it gets blown out of context driving all the prices on our hobby up (and everything else). I guess if your selling something it wouldn't be bad but maybe false advertisement to get top dollar? Don't get me wrong there is plenty of "rare" things out there and they don't get the proper acknowledgement they deserve.

So perhaps we should stop using the word and replace it with "hard to find", "not common" or "haven't seen one of these in a coon's age". Yeah I know it will be a pain to spend a few more seconds typing some more words instead of just one, but maybe if we start now it'll correct its self one day.

Anyways just a thought

Nate, It is a very good point that you brought up; I have noticed the results,$$$$$$$$$! I think that most people have been perhaps guilty of using the term loosely (MYSELF INCLUDED). You my friend may be indeed ...........................................NOT COMMON!                      

Thanks Shawn

• hamman and Nato77 have said thanks

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:58 AM

My definition:

Rare should only be used for Tractors and attachments where only 1-5 of that brand/Model Exist  Any more than 5 its not rare as you still have to figure in all the ones who dont have internet that have them and how many are out in a field or barn waiting to be found.

Causes:

-Sellers dont know what they have so they call it rare to get more $$

-Everyone wants to think they have something special no one else has

-Its been used so many times its the norm

-Many people have no idea what they are talking about yet they continue to post wrong information.

-People who have been collecting for only 1-3 years think they are an Expert

Effects:

-Prices have dramatically increased

-The Word rare no longer has any meaning to the true collector

-Hard to find stuff since everyone wants $1000 for a $50 item

-People read the forums where people post the word rare and think they have something special as well

Possible Solutions:

-Dont post what you paid for an item on an open forum!

-Do not respond to "Whats it worth" posts on the open forums

-The brand specific collectors who know whats rare and whats not (Keep correcting the false information)

-Flag the CL adds who claim somethings rare when its not

• wilberj, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#13 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Maybe from now on when we need an opinion on the value of something (I myself am quite guilty of it as I haven't been doing this long enough to know what's a fair price) we can post it up but the opinions on value should be in the form of pm's?

#14 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Didn't someone already make a thread on "Rare"

Cant find the tread it must be rare. :poke:

#15 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:15 AM

!cid__1114131749.jpg    I recently found evidence that approx 1700 of this rare item were built . They are a service disconnect for the Elec-Trak .

Rare is the person who has seen one in person . Rare is a good picture of one . My surmise is that they were only intended to be a stopgap item until an in-house version of Cole-hersee was built .

I also surmise that they were sometimes mistaken for true prototype item . They were probably replaced for the intended later version with apparently no documention - thus compounding misconceptions . The lack of paperwork for warranty or other purposes ate on me until the solution presented itself in an E-bay sale .