10 replies to this topic

#1 77ddt OFFLINE  

77ddt
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 25507
  • 32 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 09:49 PM

We got hit by the Washington, IL Tornado a couple weeks ago, and although our house was damaged bad enough we will be out of it for a few months while it is repaired, at least we have something left to repair.  One thing many of us have pondered is how on earth do we get all the debris out of our yards. We have picked up all the big stuff, but there are tons (literally) of little pieces of wood, glass, shingles, fiberglass, etc.  Does anybody have any experience with a similar situation?  I wondered if I could windrow it with one of those mini hay rake/dethatchers and then pick it up with a sweeper.  Has anybody used one of those and if so, do they only work for grass or could they pick up light debris?

Dave

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#2 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 12:34 AM

Sorry about your luck, the storm's were really bad.  I have seen people use old bed spring's to smooth out loose soil,  they burn off the cloth so all that's left is the springs and add a little weight then " my favorite part" pull it behind their GT. Or how about a small set of drags?   Hope this might help, I hope repairs happen quickly for you and your community .                                                                             Here's an after thought, we use this up to my buddies house to get weed's out of the pond, I'll try to describe it .It's 3 equally long pieces  angle iron welded in the shape of a triangle, could be bolted, the back edge has bolts 4 inches long on it, You could drill the holes closer together to drag the smaller pieces to a pile to be picked up, hope this might in some small way help

• JRJ said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:22 AM

Dang, sorry to hear that you got all that damage.

As for cleaning up the debris, I don't think that a dethatcher would work too well, and they just push stuff forward.

Something like a Whirly Rake would work since it windrows, but they are are really hard to find.

I don't think that one of the landscape rakes would work either as they are pretty coarse, and won't get the smaller stuff.

I'm thinking that a rotary broom would work, as I know folks that get gravel out of their lawns after the winter is over.  One of those would at least windrow the trash.

Another option would be one of the tow behind engine powered grass collectors.  My old EZ-Vac will pickup walnuts and golf balls with no problem, other than the clang they make.  If you tried something like that, you would want to make sure that the impellor is a steel one and not a plastic one.  Most of them also have a 'wand' that you can use for places that you can't drive over with the mower deck. You would most likely need new mower blades after using it, but that would be minor compared to everything else you are dealing with.

Depending on how big an area you are talking about, maybe something like this would work:
http://decatur.craig...4157071242.html

Yet another option would be a rental center.  I checked out Sunbelt Rentals.  They have walk behind vacs, and they have a location in East Peoria, and one in Bloomington.

Edited by OldBuzzard, November 30, 2013 - 02:23 AM.

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:17 AM

I bought a category 1 landscape rake with the idea of using it to collect grass mulch for my garden. As Old Buzzard said it is too course to do what I wanted too and as said I do not think it would for your application. I do not regret buying it as it works beautifully for grooming my 1/4 mile gravel lane.
There are a couple companies that make a wheel rake sized for the GT and ATV that would work much better.
The rake I think would also work well for you is called a pine straw rake.
A google search will turn you onto both types. I have not learned how to post pictures using the Ipad yet.
The pine straw rake would be pretty easy to make, using the rake teeth off the shelf of the local farm supply store.
I think Alc has posted pictures of one e made somewhere on here.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 30, 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 04:28 PM

I looked at Northern Tool and they have 4 & 5 ft wheel rakes sized for a garden tractor or ATV that should work very well.
I may get one next summer for my place. Swisher used to make one but I do not see it on their site anymore.

#6 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:15 PM

You need  to find you a Brinly collector near by with one of these They call it a Compactor Rake there not very big though

Attached Thumbnails

• Brinly Compactor Rake 02.JPG

#7 77ddt OFFLINE  

77ddt
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 25507
  • 32 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys.  The 4' wheel rake from Northern Tool was what I was thinking of, not the landscape rock rakes.  I was thinking the spinning tines might help lift stuff out of the grass, but not sure if they can handle anything other than cut grass.  The yard vac looks interesting though.  I will have to see if there is one of those around to rent.  I have seen some other stuff out there like a power rake/dethatcher with a vac on the back.  That would be ideal, but think those are hard to come by.  Of course I can always just hand rake it, but was trying to think of a way to get some seat time out of this. 

Thanks,

Dave

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have picked up after a few tornados and the high winds drive debris into the ground and you will never get it all.
But I think the wheel rake will get most of it. There is a lot of hay put up around the country using a wheel rake,.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your damage, thankful you all are alright and have a house to rebuild.

I agree that the best option is a wheel rake or a sweepster. Nothing will get it all, but these implements have the best chance of success.

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:50 AM

You also might want to consider a common lawn sweeper. Just adjust the sweeping height a bit lower than normal. Even at the height I run mine at to pick up leaves it gets a heck of a lot of gravel and thatch

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Another consideration is along with the rake to pick up the larger debris, is a magnet. When those winds tear off roofs and stuff they distribute untold volumes of nails, bits of wire ans small chunks of steel.