3 replies to this topic

#1 drbish OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,140 Thanks
  • 1,143 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 04:34 PM

I am picking up the meteor on Saturday morning,I know basically what I should do before starting.I thought this  would be a good thread to post ideasand how too for not just myself.

1. Carburetor should be checked out and cleaned

2. Pull the head off too clean up carbon

3.put a type of lubrication to help lubricate the rings.

For the hydostatic i need some guidance on what should be done.

Please add whatever you feel needs to be known not for myself but maybe some others in the future

Edited by new restorer, November 29, 2013 - 04:34 PM.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 04:55 PM

You really need to take it on a case by case basis. First, check the oil. Look for water or metal parts. Pull the plug and add a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil to each cylinder. Check for what is in the gas tank. Check the fuel filter, Then check the carb. I often will drop the float bowl to see what is inside. If necessary I clean or overhaul. Turn the engine over by hand to check for compression and knocks. If that is okay, check the spark. An indicator that inserts between the plug and its wire is very helpful. Then you can add gas and try to start it. If you get it running shut it down quickly and clean the air cooling passages.

I usually don't try to start a tractor until I get it home. I fixed a saw(loose wire) before trying to take it home and the po went ballistic claiming that I was cheating him. I kept my money and he got a free repair. Never again. I have  winches on my trailers to load nonambulatory treasures. Good Luck, Rick

Marvel will free up rings and clean carbon from the cylinder. Don't take the head off unless you really need to. Then do a valve job while you are in there.

Edited by boyscout862, November 29, 2013 - 04:57 PM.

• drbish and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,494 Thanks
  • 7,629 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hey Don I have teh truck alive again if you need help

• drbish said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've done anything special to an old hydro, Don.   I always check the oil level, and always flush it out if it looks milky.  Otherwise, I let it be.

I do let the tractor warm up a bit before I engage the hydro, though.  Let the oil cycle through a bit.  Then I shut 'er down and check the fluid one more time.  If it all looks good, then I take it for a ride and see if it all sounds good!  You can learn a lot about a hydro through your ears.

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you