• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,574 Thanks
  • 2,854 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 05:11 PM

Looks are deceiving.. The po. just did a make-over.. Just sprayed it with everything in place.. If it were me,, I would have it completely  torn it apart to spray it..  I think PO.. just used Rustolium ,,Almond.. Has a tinge of yellow that I don't like..

Thanks   ALL          Good candidate for a life time of use.

You got a nice GT but like you said a quick make over. I wished sometimes these PO's would just let them go as they are & don't go spraying anything that doesn't move. I agree one of the best lookers of the Bolens, congrats on a nice one!

• sodisr said thank you

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,028 Thanks
  • 28,962 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Good looker. I'm sure the extra coat will slow the passing of time until you can get it to what you want.
As for the PO and his paint job, it ok... As we say round here, it's a 30 MPH paint job.

#18 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 657 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:26 AM

This Machine will defenitly  be a worker... As my 1477..  It will have to go thru it's tests (  snow,, grass,, and future tiller )...

I don't have the room for just show pc. tractors .. I save that for my 70 Mach 1  Mustang . I enjoy keeping them clean as possible  but use them as intended and maintaining them best I can.

Thanks for all the replies and intrests on my new toy.. You Guys,, and Gals  are GREAT...   This sight is the BEST !!

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#19 68guns OFFLINE  

68guns

• Member No: 7878
  • 122 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Nice rig!

#20 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 657 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:45 PM

Lets not get carried away here :D.... There are a few spots that didnt get painted and they used the old decals.

I would say a good "Refurbish" not a "Restore"

Dr. Bolens       Not even a good refurb.  I'm pulling out painted grass all over the underside and under the batt. box.. What burns me is the overspray on the wheels and tires.. Brand new Nanco tires with overspray all on the inside.  O-Well  more things to correct to make it ALL mine And when I'M done will know MY machine inside and out.. On to the next project

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,937 Thanks
  • 17,306 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Dr. Bolens       Not even a good refurb.  I'm pulling out painted grass all over the underside and under the batt. box.. What burns me is the overspray on the wheels and tires.. Brand new Nanco tires with overspray all on the inside.  O-Well  more things to correct to make it ALL mine And when I'M done will know MY machine inside and out.. On to the next project

Pictures sure can be deceiving!

Sounds like your tractor has suffered a classic "Paint over" I wish I knew why people do this.

To me I'd rater buy a rusty machine in original condition compared to one that has just been painted with a mop.

I guess the seller's think they will get more $$ out of a painted machine.......

#22 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 657 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Pictures sure can be deceiving!

Sounds like your tractor has suffered a classic "Paint over" I wish I knew why people do this.

To me I'd rater buy a rusty machine in original condition compared to one that has just been painted with a mop.

I guess the seller's think they will get more $$ out of a painted machine.......

Don't get me wrong,, it's alot better than a mop job... :rolling:   And so far I'm feeling lucky that it runs well..The PO could have painted it  for a Quick sale to some idiot------------  Like ME  :wallbanging:         I kinda knew what to look for  from my 1477 and it runs good and the hydro seems good.. Just all the shortcuts and trying to Jerry-rig things togather