• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hello, new guy here so Im snoopin around a bit, I have '75 Columbia which is basically an MTD 960, its my main work horse around the yard, has dozer,mower, tiller, cultivator and plough, a winch on both ends because Im too old and lazy to lift anything manually, I rarely use the mower but everything else gets alot of use, Im a metal fab guy by trade so the lift system on the front is my own design and handi work. One of these days I need to give it a paint job but it hardly gets a day off so not sure when thats gonna happen.

Attached Thumbnails

• 007.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, HowardsMF155 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 06:17 AM

That looks like a worker. If you get the chance, show us those winch setups. That sounds interesting.

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:15 AM

Kind of crappy pics but its all I have at moment... the rear winch mount is very basic, just a platform positioned over the 3pt to lift the tiller, the front mount is more heavy duty and includes the dozer arm and a support going back under the tractor to a crossmember on the frame directly under the pto, you can just see a bit of that crossmember behind the front tire in the first pic I posted, everything is 1/4 plate so it can take a beating, I put the tractor in 4th at full throttle and go, fluid filled atv lugs and weights so it moves snow pretty well and the blade lifts quite high so I can pile the snow quite high as well. I used it all last winter and the only change since then was to swap out the front winch for a nice little Warn instead of the princess auto special.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 036.JPG
  • 023.JPG
  • columbia111.JPG

• KennyP, HowardsMF155 and sacsr have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:15 AM

Meaty looking tractor.
Those big MTDs have a lot of go get em.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:21 AM

I love that winch design.  You'd better be careful, you might have orders to make some before we all are done.

Ben W.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Nice design! I like that it lifts the blade high! I'm sure other folks will have questions about the lift system. Thanks for getting the pics up so soon!

#7 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Welcome and thanks for posting pictures! Nice looking set up! Glad to have you on board!

#8 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:53 AM

That is a pretty slick setup on the winches, might have to take some walk-around videos and show them in more detail :D

#9 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 08:41 AM

:welcometogttalk:   Great job on the winches. :rocker2: 

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Great fab work for the winch set-ups.

#11 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Thx for all the compliments guys, I'll try gettin the Columbia up on blocks and take a few pics of the front lift, it could be replicated with basic fairly metal working tools. I have an easy option for punching out the pieces but a torch will do. I just have to put the pieces on paper, take that to one of autocad experts upstairs at work, then load a sheet of 1/4 plate into a very nice cnc punch/shear machine and then go weld them together. The crossmember under the frame was the only piece bent in a press but it can be done with welded pieces also. Its basic design could be easily modified to fit many tractors I would think, I know it goes onto a Ford LGT quite nicely.

If ne1 is interested google "Finn Power Shear Genius 8", that should find some cool videos of my punch at work, as well as "E-Bender 5"... also by "Finn Power". Didnt have such toys when I first got into metal fab but they sure make things easy today.

#12 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Grabbed a few pics of the front lift and started a thread in the attachments forum...
http://gardentractor...ted-blade-lift/
  • MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#13 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 12:39 AM

Great to see your Columbia, especially a gear drive . The unique thing (other than they used a different grill ) is the gear drive Columbia had their own fenders, it's similar to the 990 but they are different , and I know of no other MTD that used that fender.

Dad has two Columbia's ,a 16hp gear drive and an 8hp gear drive, kinda hard to come by down here.

• Lance Skene said thank you

#14 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Just a guess on my part but I thought the 990 and 960 have differant fenders simply because they have differant size rear wheels, Im pretty sure I have seen pics of other mtd 960s with the same fenders as my Columbia.

Does the 8hp model have the same frame as the 16hp model? My book covers a 10hp and 16hp but no mention of an 8hp model.

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Just for reference:

Hydro (990) fender

SAM_1155.JPG

Standard MTD gear drive fender:

CIMG0210.jpg

As mentioned, the 16hp Columbia gear drives use a fender that looks like the hydro fender.

As far as any other store "brands" that use the hydro fender on a gear drive... I'm sure there could be but all the pics I've seen have used the regular gear drive fender.  I know Halfscale has done quite a bit of research on these and has mentioned this in the past.  Certainly can't rule it out though.

I have a Columbia sales brochure for '75 and as you mentioned, it shows gear drives in 16hp (960) and 10hp (760).  MTD also offered an 860 which was 12hp most years and a 660 which was 8hp.  Just a quick check of the parts manuals shows the 960 and 860 sharing a frame.  The 760 and 660 also shared a frame.

By the way, you have a nice tractor.  I'm liking the Columbia grill the more I see it.

Edited by Canawler, December 01, 2013 - 07:33 PM.

• Lance Skene said thank you