Garden Tractor Forums banner

'57 Bolens Ram

4K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Lance Skene 
#1 ·
Hi all, new here so just having a look around, I have a '57 Super RaM, not 100% original but it still has the original engine and it is still a working girl, I just finished fall maintainance and put the snowblower on, couple new belts and bearings, ordered new rear ags but they havent come in yet so theres a set of Ford rims with turfs on it right now, I tested the blower last weekend but with turfs I spent more time behind it pushing than I did in the seat. I did grab a pic tho so....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome again! That's a good looking tractor you have there!

#4 ·
Welcome to GTTalk. That's a fine looking tractor you have there. I haven't seen one of those before. Get some chains for those turfs and some weight on the back and you won't have any traction issues. I find turfs are actually better with chains than AG's.

Reactions: JRJ
#5 ·
Thx guys, lots of ppl on here late in the day, or early for some I guess, I work a night shift so I get home at 2:30 am, little over two hrs ago right now.

I actually will never put chains on this tractor again, I blew the rear diff out of her about 20 yrs ago using chains, I have weights and the new ags on order. I still use chains on hydro tractors but I prefer ags or atv lugs on gear or chain drive tractors, its just become a personal preferance. .

#11 ·
Welcome to the forums! It is always nice to see the old RAMs still working! Very nice tractor! :thumbs:

#14 ·
Thx all, and no it isnt 100% original, but it is original 'unrestored' condition, I doubt it has ever spent a night outside. It already had lights when I got it in '87ish, the switch, wiring, and regulator appeared to be 'period' correct and the regulator has a terminal with a stamped label 'Lights', but my uncle was a mechanic so it wouldnt surprise me if he added them, it also had homebuilt fenders and a plywood/plexiglass cab and a differant battery box under the seat. Ive never thought much about the blower because it appears to be correct as far as the way it mounts to the tractor, I also have a dozer but it has an original Bolens sticker on it so Im pretty sure its original. The paint has been touched up several times over the years before and after I got it and its slightly darker than the original colour. Since I blew out the rear diff I know thats not original, its actually from one of those 3 wheeled ATVs, I had to cut apart both the original diff and the atv diff to make repairs so that I could keep the original brakes, these tractors are hard to find in canada and when you do find one ppl think they are made of gold, theres one advertised near edmonton right now for $2000 and it doesnt appear to be any closer to original than mine is. So lacking original parts Ive maintained it in working order as best I can and I like to keep it 'looking' period correct. Its a fun tractor to own, slow enough that without the blower in the summer we can send the grandkids off to wood pile with the wagon behind it. I'd luv to find another one closer to original condition but honestly I wouldnt trade this one to get it, I'd be real happy if I could find more attachments tho, especially the front mount reel mower, ne1 knows of one let me know ;)

#15 ·
The blower is definitely not original.

The 1957's did not come with a battery box either.

Not sure what the brand of that blower is but it looks like someone may have used some mounts from either the sickle attachment or plow to adapt the blower to the frame.

Here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what an original is like.

Attachments

#16 ·
Where's the problem, when a tractor doesn't look original?! I think, every collector has his own ideas, how his tractor must look - and that's real good.

Here in D you can see LANZ tractors in an 'outfit' in which they'll nver will have left the factory. But, as said before, tastes are different.

Reactions: SamMC
#17 ·
The blower is definitely not original.
The 1957's did not come with a battery box either.
Not sure what the brand of that blower is but it looks like someone may have used some mounts from either the sickle attachment or plow to adapt the blower to the frame.

Here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what an original is like.
Very Nice RaM

So... I believe the electric start was an oem option, and Ive seen pics of RaMs with the battery just behind the steering column, did they have some kind of tray there to hold it in place? I chose to make the box I have because I let the grandkids drive this tractor I didnt think an exposed battery was a good idea.

Ive never seen another RaM in person but I have searched out alot of pics and info over the years so I have a fairly good idea what parts are fudged or missing, although I didnt realize the blower wasn't oem, whoever modified it did a pretty respectable job of adapting it, and it sure works well enough, throws snow nearly as far as the Cub 1862 I just sold a month ago.

Oh and a ?? Ive never been able to find an answer to... how much oil is suposed to be in the air filter? Ive always kept it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the screening material, simply a guess on my part thinking that any more it would be able to spill out.

and thx... appreciate the input

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Where's the problem, when a tractor doesn't look original?! I think, every collector has his own ideas, how his tractor must look - and that's real good.

Here in D you can see LANZ tractors in an 'outfit' in which they'll nver will have left the factory. But, as said before, tastes are different.
Not saying there's anything wrong with it.

Just trying to clear up any confusion on whats factory and whats not. Often times you see a bunch of older threads with wrong information in it and people who are getting into these the first time think that's the way they should be. Now a days its near impossible to find an original Ride-a-MAtic without any modifications being done to it.

I'm just trying to make sure for future reference there is no confusion on originality.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Very Nice RaM

So... I believe the electric start was an oem option, and Ive seen pics of RaMs with the battery just behind the steering column, did they have some kind of tray there to hold it in place? I chose to make the box I have because I let the grandkids drive this tractor I didnt think an exposed battery was a good idea.

Ive never seen another RaM in person but I have searched out alot of pics and info over the years so I have a fairly good idea what parts are fudged or missing, although I didnt realize the blower wasn't oem, whoever modified it did a pretty respectable job of adapting it, and it sure works well enough, throws snow nearly as far as the Cub 1862 I just sold a month ago.

Oh and a ?? Ive never been able to find an answer to... how much oil is suposed to be in the air filter? Ive always kept it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the screening material, simply a guess on my part thinking that any more it would be able to spill out.

and thx... appreciate the input
1958 Was the first year for the optional Electric starter kits.

Looking at your pictures you appear to have some of the OEM starter kit for 58' and later added to your 1957. Not the first time I have seen this done. Many owners probably asked the dealers about electric start in the later years and they probably sold the kits to the home owner for installation.

There is a line in the oil cup that you fill the oil up to.

#20 ·
Really? theres a line? OK I guess my eyes arent so good, Im sure Ive looked but never found one...lol

and just for the record I take no offense to ne1 telling me my RaM isnt oem, Im well aware of that and I appreciate learning more about them, this is my favorite tractor for many differant reasons, the kids luv it, the wifes uses it for light gardening chores, my uncle still comes to see it about once a year from Regina when they visit their daughter in Calgary, its a great little 'Hot Rod' to own just as is. I'd gladly own an original model but that isnt really an option in this case.... but it does likely put on more miles than most 1957 GTs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.