Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New Member Old Ram

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,609 Thanks
  • 4,118 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Where's the problem, when a tractor doesn't look original?! I think, every collector has his own ideas, how his tractor must look - and that's real good.

Here in D you can see LANZ tractors in an 'outfit' in which they'll nver will have left the factory. But, as said before, tastes are different.

• SamMC said thank you

#17 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 03:05 PM

The blower is definitely not original.
The 1957's did not come with a battery box either.
Not sure what the brand of that blower is but it looks like someone may have used some mounts from either the sickle attachment or plow to adapt the blower to the frame.

Here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what an original is like.

Very Nice RaM

So... I believe the electric start was an oem option, and Ive seen pics of RaMs with the battery just behind the steering column, did they have some kind of tray there to hold it in place? I chose to make the box I have because I let the grandkids drive this tractor I didnt think an exposed battery was a good idea.

Ive never seen another RaM in person but I have searched out alot of pics and info over the years so I have a fairly good idea what parts are fudged or missing, although I didnt realize the blower wasn't oem, whoever modified it did a pretty respectable job of adapting it, and it sure works well enough, throws snow nearly as far as the Cub 1862 I just sold a month ago.

Oh and a ?? Ive never been able to find an answer to... how much oil is suposed to be in the air filter? Ive always kept it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the screening material, simply a guess on my part thinking that any more it would be able to spill out.

and thx... appreciate the input

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,918 Thanks
  • 17,710 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Where's the problem, when a tractor doesn't look original?! I think, every collector has his own ideas, how his tractor must look - and that's real good.

Here in D you can see LANZ tractors in an 'outfit' in which they'll nver will have left the factory. But, as said before, tastes are different.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it.

Just trying to clear up any confusion on whats factory and whats not. Often times you see a bunch of older threads with wrong information in it and people who are getting into these the first time think that's the way they should be. Now a days its near impossible to find an original Ride-a-MAtic without any modifications being done to it.

I'm just trying to make sure for future reference there is no confusion on originality.

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,918 Thanks
  • 17,710 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Very Nice RaM

So... I believe the electric start was an oem option, and Ive seen pics of RaMs with the battery just behind the steering column, did they have some kind of tray there to hold it in place? I chose to make the box I have because I let the grandkids drive this tractor I didnt think an exposed battery was a good idea.

Ive never seen another RaM in person but I have searched out alot of pics and info over the years so I have a fairly good idea what parts are fudged or missing, although I didnt realize the blower wasn't oem, whoever modified it did a pretty respectable job of adapting it, and it sure works well enough, throws snow nearly as far as the Cub 1862 I just sold a month ago.

Oh and a ?? Ive never been able to find an answer to... how much oil is suposed to be in the air filter? Ive always kept it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the screening material, simply a guess on my part thinking that any more it would be able to spill out.

and thx... appreciate the input

1958 Was the first year for the optional Electric starter kits.

Looking at your pictures you appear to have some of the OEM starter kit for 58' and later added to your 1957. Not the first time I have seen this done. Many owners probably asked the dealers about electric start in the later years and they probably sold the kits to the home owner for installation.

There is a line in the oil cup that you fill the oil up to.

• jd.rasentrac and Lance Skene have said thanks

#20 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Really? theres a line? OK I guess my eyes arent so good, Im sure Ive looked but never found one...lol

and just for the record I take no offense to ne1 telling me my RaM isnt oem, Im well aware of that and I appreciate learning more about them, this is my favorite tractor for many differant reasons, the kids luv it, the wifes uses it for light gardening chores, my uncle still comes to see it about once a year from Regina when they visit their daughter in Calgary, its a great little 'Hot Rod' to own just as is. I'd gladly own an original model but that isnt really an option in this case.... but it does likely put on more miles than most 1957 GTs.

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,918 Thanks
  • 17,710 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Here's a picture of the line in the cup.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4546.JPG

• Lance Skene said thank you

#22 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:14 AM

OK I'll have to look again.. but I recently cleaned and repainted the air filter and I dont recall seeing that line pressed into the cup, I might feel like a dumby tomorrow...lol

but I have been putting at least that much oil in it, maybe a tad more in fact so it should be working properly at least.

#23 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Happy Lance today... the Tru Power ags came in so I'll be in the shop the rest of day finishing up paint on the rear rims and weights. According to the forecast it wont be long till I get to play in the snow;)

#24 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 404 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Nice tractor, good to see you putting it to work!

#25 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,968 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Welcome to GTT Lance.  We have quiet a few up your way so I hope you feel right at home.

#26 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,578 Thanks
  • 6,403 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Welcome Lance.  That is a great looking Ram.  I love working tractors.  Thanks for that great photograph.

#27 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Thx guys, got the rims painted now, will wait a day or two before putting the ags and weights on. Big storm here yesterday so lots of snow to move.

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 13,918 Thanks
  • 17,710 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Judging by those snow pictures you got your work cut out for you!

#29 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ya I dont think the old RaM will be able to go very far in those drifts...lolol.

for ne1 hasnt seen it I got some pics in the main GT forum "Snowed In".... we have drifts ranging from 5 to 10 feet deep around the yard, biggest one is right in front of the shop, and to add the problem the big loader is snowed in at the cattle shed with about 10-12 feet of snow for about 200 yds of driveway so its gonna be awhile before I get this cleaned up... but the dogs think it Great..LOL

#30 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 06, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Got the RaM out on the new rear ags for the first time today, to cold to be out there very long but I did push the blower into a couple small drifts to test out the tracton... not bad at all for a light little tractor thats 56 years old.

Attached Thumbnails

• Agson1.jpg
  • Agson2.JPG

• MH81 said thank you