#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I taped the Classic Tractor Fever on RFD TV yesterday and their segment on Garden Tractors. While I agree with the nice restored tractors I also have a great fondness for the GTs that are in their " Working Clothes". I heard them say "Calender Ready" show pieces and got to thinking that maybe I should see if their would be any interest in a calender of GTs in their " Working Clothes"? We have three Allis Chalmers Farm Tractors also. They are all in their working clothes. My inital idea was to restore the 1942 WC on rear steel, but decided that the way it is was the way it was used and the way it will be as long as I am alive. There is just something about our GTs in the present condition that makes me very proud of tham as they are. I am not taking anything away from those in the hobby who take the time to restore theit GTs and are very proud of the job they have done. They should be. I enjoy looking at the pictures reading the stories and seeing how they had to remanufacture parts and pieces of it and the fabrication skills they have. I have been to many many tractor shows and have seen some incredible restorations og GTs and I have also seen GTs that are as they are and they always draw me to them. 

Time to get things ready for dinner. Thanks for sharing a hobby we all enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving.  Roger.

• KennyP, Littledeere, CRFarnsworth and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 10:04 AM

I forgot about it {GGGGRRRR} hope they do another showing of it. I'm with you to Roger I to love what some of these guys go though to put an old Tractor back to life.And it's neat to see what they looked like brand new some even better than new and even the custom tractor's guy's come up with.

I still like them in there work cloths best. Attachments and what these little tractors can do is what got me into this hobbie anyway that's how I have came to have so many attachments's and always looking for more.

And a Safe a Happy Holiday to All

Kenny

• hamman, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#3 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 10:34 AM

I think that most of these "Show Queen" tractors were in a very sad state when they were rescued and then restored keep them around for a long time.  I would love to have a '63 Round Fender.........if for no other reason than that is the year that I was born, but ALL of my tractors earn their keep around the house and around the garden. I have a 67 112H Round Fender that I hope to be able to "restore" some day but it will not be a "concourse" restoration, more like just a "sprucing up" because I will still use it afterwards.

• Bolens 1000, hamman, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm all for keeping things Original

Whenever I get a Bolens if it still has alot of original Paint I will leave it alone but most times (Especially the older 50's machines) are ready for the scrap yard when I get them so they have to be brought back to life.

Example:

My GreenBrier was ready for the scrap yard until I saved it!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4183.JPG
  • post-7-0-87733200-1341677246.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I can see both sides of the 'argument'.

It is nice to see a tractor restored to original condition with all factory parts etc.  From my perspective, things like Brian's Suburban are the best choice for something like this since they are so 'far gone'.

However, one in it's 'working clothes' has a certain appeal as well.  Those dings, dents, scratches, rust spots, and modifications all have a story to tell.  They are the ones that are better used as actual working tractors.  They are also great to take to shows and allow kids to climb on them and have a great time, without having to worry about scratches on a pristine paint job, etc.  :D :D :D

When it comes down to it, there really isn't a right way or wrong way. It's the 'owners way'.

In my case I'm taking a 3rd approach with the 1886 Forklift.  It has a throttle modification, it's not in original colors, etc.  I'm having it 'refurbished' and repainted, it will get a proper set of decals, BUT it's going to be repainted in the CURRENT non-original colors, and the throttle mod will be kept.  In fact, there is going to be another mod done to it to allow the hood to be put back to it's original spacing.

If you look close in this pic, you will see that the original owners replaced the push/pull throttle with a lever style and mounted on the side of the tractor. That interfered with the hood, so they put extra spacers at the hinge to move the hood forward to clear it. Our plan is the take out the spacers so that the hood goes back to it's original place, and then cut a notch in the hood to clear the throttle.

100_4892.JPG

It won't be 'correct', but it will reflect it's history, which is something that I personally think is important.

• hamman, superaben, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 02:12 PM

However, one in it's 'working clothes' has a certain appeal as well.  Those dings, dents, scratches, rust spots, and modifications all have a story to tell.  They are the ones that are better used as actual working tractors.  They are also great to take to shows and allow kids to climb on them and have a great time, without having to worry about scratches on a pristine paint job, etc.  :D :D :D

That's exactly the way I see it for my personal machines.  If a kid can't get on it and get a smile as wide as the tractor, then it isn't worth doing, in my very humble opinion. 

Furthermore, I love a working tractor.  Even my show machines have to work.  If I'm afraid to do that. then suddenly there will probably be a for sale sign on the hood.

I would love to see a "working clothes" calender of machines doing their job. 

Ben W.

• hamman, oldedeeres and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#7 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 04:17 PM

I'm a "working clothes" kind of guy when it comes to getting things done. I don't want to have to worry about scratching the paint or bending something (to a point) when I'm working. I just want to tear into a job and get it done.

On the other hand, my blustery way of doing thing does have it's drawbacks. My new daughter-in-law says she's getting me a hardhat for Christmas.

M.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, November 28, 2013 - 04:20 PM.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Oh, just to add, I don't think that people with the really nice 'show piece' tractors are wrong in not allowing kids/people to climb all over their hard work.

I can see their point, and support their decision in that matter, as they have put in a lot work and effort into making it look like it does, and seeing it damaged would be a shame.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,872 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 01:26 AM

A "working clothes" calendar is a neat idea, thanks for mentioning it.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:24 AM

I like them in working clothes as well, provided they haven't been abused too terribly badly. Once they hit a certain point they almost have to be gone over and restored.
  • hamman and EricR have said thanks

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,406 Thanks
  • 1,538 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'd buy it, all my tractors and engines are in there "working clothes".