Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1976 Massey Ferguson MF10, Should I rebuild?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 19, 2010 - 04:36 PM

Thanks to all who replied to my rambligs...
I will post pictures of my new toy (MF 10) soon,
and, being a newbie, i have more questions,
what kind of transmission/axle is in this MF10(it is a 4 speed variable speed), i'm asking cuz i have a JD 111 with an 806 E peerless 5 speed that seems very 'weak', the input and crown gear i think are toast in it. (lots of funny noises when i let out the clutch in any gear)---
I actually got this MF 10 bcause I found the JD a little too flimsy---I do realize it is just a lawn tractor and I hope I do not offend anyone with my comments. As a matter of fact the little Deere is in exc. shape and I will post photos of it as well as soon as it is back together,
sooooo many more questions ........

also, i got a snow blower with the MF 10, and do not really want to keep it. My questi on is -what is it worth? (looks ok, and of course i will check it all out)

#2 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 01:13 PM

I think it is a Peerless Model 2309A. At least that is what is in my MF12G and I think there should be no difference. Good luck with it.

George.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Zolt, We like ramblings...and pictures...and questions here. Looks like you've come to the right place! Can't wait to see them.

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 03:24 PM

the mf10 trans is very popular look for a john deere 110/112/200 series trans

the blower is worth what someone will pay. $25-250
for a blower in working shape, with 80percent of its oringal paint id put it up for $150

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 03:46 PM

Can't wait to see the pics.

#6 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 04:17 PM

thanks,
one other reason i asked about the price is that here-in manitoba Canada, people are selling snowblower for about $750.--i find that a little (well actually a lot) too much.
of course , maybe they are not selling them for that but are 'dream listing'....

the mf10 trans is very popular look for a john deere 110/112/200 series trans

the blower is worth what someone will pay. $25-250
for a blower in working shape, with 80percent of its oringal paint id put it up for $150

#7 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 04:21 PM

oh oh, (to the good luck with it comment)
the seller said it worked fine, never abused(of course), etc...

I think it is a Peerless Model 2309A. At least that is what is in my MF12G and I think there should be no difference. Good luck with it.

George.

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 20, 2010 - 09:04 PM

thanks,
one other reason i asked about the price is that here-in manitoba Canada, people are selling snowblower for about $750.--i find that a little (well actually a lot) too much.
of course , maybe they are not selling them for that but are 'dream listing'....

Trying to buy anything for a reasonable price around here is just about impossible, Zolt. Also, Massey stuff seems pretty rare here, which is weird given the history. You could likely advertise it on Kijiji for $500 or $700 and see what happens.

#9 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 11:15 AM

oh oh, (to the good luck with it comment)
the seller said it worked fine, never abused(of course), etc...

Sorry - I should have been less cryptic. I was simply wishing you luck in your restoration! - the MF10/12G transaxles do seem pretty solid.

George.

#10 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 12:10 PM

Sorry - I should have been less cryptic. I was simply wishing you luck in your restoration! - the MF10/12G transaxles do seem pretty solid.

George.

PHEEEEWWWW!!!!
since i see it again in your reply, you wrote -MF10(which is self explanatory) but the 'G' after the 12 ? i'm asking cuz i never see anything after the 10(at least not yet),
again, i am very unfamiliar with garden tractors in general so my questions will be 'bringing smiles, or eyes to the sky'

#11 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 12:15 PM

PHEEEEWWWW!!!!
since i see it again in your reply, you wrote -MF10(which is self explanatory) but the 'G' after the 12 ? i'm asking cuz i never see anything after the 10(at least not yet),
again, i am very unfamiliar with garden tractors in general so my questions will be 'bringing smiles, or eyes to the sky'

The 10's were only available in a "G" or geared model. The 12's started as "H" or hydro then MF switched them to a "G" model in the later production, after they introduced the 14 and 16 which were hydros. So, no need to put a "G" after a 10, because they all were G's.

#12 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 12:16 PM

This is exactly why i jumped on this MF10, thinking that by spring it will be long gone---
and it seems not too many other brands except JDs...
thanks for reply-
i should figure out a way to search 'areas' for certain brands- still i suspect Deere would cover most of MB

Trying to buy anything for a reasonable price around here is just about impossible, Zolt. Also, Massey stuff seems pretty rare here, which is weird given the history. You could likely advertise it on Kijiji for $500 or $700 and see what happens.

#13 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 21, 2010 - 07:31 PM

thanks,

#14 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:19 AM

This is exactly why i jumped on this MF10, thinking that by spring it will be long gone---
and it seems not too many other brands except JDs...
thanks for reply-
i should figure out a way to search 'areas' for certain brands- still i suspect Deere would cover most of MB

Yeah. I'm not much a brand loyalist when it comes to tractors, but I ended up with Deeres mostly because it seems to be either that or Kubotas around here, and the Kubotas are even more outrageously priced. There were a fair number of Masseys in Saskatchewan when I was a kid, so you might want to widen your search to include that.

#15 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 01:30 AM

i already do have saskatchewan on my list, we have friends in saskatoon and if anything comes up.......
I actually like the cub cadets as well, seem to be well put together and not too pricey....

Yeah. I'm not much a brand loyalist when it comes to tractors, but I ended up with Deeres mostly because it seems to be either that or Kubotas around here, and the Kubotas are even more outrageously priced. There were a fair number of Masseys in Saskatchewan when I was a kid, so you might want to widen your search to include that.