Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 505 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 10:05 PM

Finally home and cross eyed tired.
Great day, long trip. Kids zonked already, not far behind.
Pics will have to wait.

Out like a starter bendix.   :smilewink:

• MH81 said thank you

#107 Cublover OFFLINE  

Cublover
  • Member No: 9512
  • 90 Thanks
  • 110 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:22 AM

What a great day it turned out to be! Thank you Josh and family another succesful PA PLOW DAY. I think the new site gives more fields to plow and more room to spread out. It was great to see everybody and talk tractors all day. See you all next year.

• DH1 and MH81 have said thanks

#108 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:33 AM

Looks like a great turn out and loads of fun! Good looking dirt, too!

#109 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:57 AM

If anyone wants to experience what a plow day is all about, this is the place.
Sun, perfect temps, lite breeze, BS artists, helpful and friendly folks, good eats, lots of smiles, and lots and lots of tractors.
Shortly after we got there, George, Grand, Erica, and Lilly all came. It was wonderful to see old friends again. I hadn't seen Lilly for a couple of years and she is really growing fast. She even helped Dad make a delivery to me of one that I was helping ferry further across the state.
image.jpg

As for the number of tractors, Last count I saw was 181, but I think a few came after that.
The starting ride was almost as fun as plowing. Kind of like a Motorcycle Gang riding thru. The "Heck On Weeds" gang rides again.
image.jpg
You will notice that they are sort of separated by size, the big ones are going straight and the little ones are turning left, while the bigger ones (12" plows or over 18hp I think) went on up the road to the next field. Someone else will have to fill in those details
The first field we went to was up across a private rail crossing. It was a beautiful setting back in the woods with great dirt. Everyone was eager to plow and get the paint worn off.
image.jpg image.jpg
And they're off :D
image.jpg
After a couple of laps, KK's tractor just quit. She fired it up... Quit again 3' later. Oh craps.
We pulled her out of the line and tried, had spark, fuel, compression... But no joy.

I towed her in with her big brother in the rear guard position. Dane was heading back anyways for an issue on the tractor he was using, so he drove in the shotgun position on the road. We got it back and eventually discovered a bad (intermittent) plug. It wasn't me that figured it out, it was the tractor whisperer. He laid his hands on it and immediately knew what was wrong. Would show spark out of the cylinder, but none under compression. Procured a replacement and vroom. Champions. Grrr.
Then we shot the scat for a while, watched others plow some, helped a guy unload, and got something to eat. Pulled Pork and fries for me, the kids got burgers. Great grub. I saw some ice cream and cookies floating around too.
Back out plowing, we went to a field of last years corn. the ground is mellow and sweet. Near perfect dirt that almost made you forget you were having to periodically stop to clear the plow. KK took these pics, so I will have to add them later from her device.

After a round in the corn, they decided to send us to the rye field. I had brought an extra tractor just in case and it ended up that Dane was short a set of wheels this year. He took me up on the offer and enjoyed the ST16 with plow until the bendix came apart. :wallbanging: he felt bad, but I made sure he knew he held no responsibility. We pulled the cover off and took out the prts that were left, then we pull started it and away we all went to the next field.

At first, KK and Ryan were done plowing after the corn field. I called them both after my first lap to come down and plow in the rye. It was the definition of a perfect field. No rocks bigger than a baseball, the most perfect dirt you've ever turned, it was wonderful. I couldn't believe how nice it was. It was like a great desert after a fine meal. The coulter was cutting the blades of grass and dropping them in the furrow even.
image.jpg image.jpg
I've got lots more pics, but will add them to the photo gallery when it's up and running. I also have many from Ryan and KK that will get added too.

It was a wonderful day, worth the trip without question. There were lots of participants. Many of us "long in the tooth" guys and many young ones as well. Everyone was so well behaved and friendly. it is the kind of event you can relax at even if your kids are there. Thank you to the whole PA Plow Day staff for all their efforts and making us feel welcome. Also, to the land owner of the new location, thank you so much for hosting. You have a beautiful property and are very kind to let us enjoy it as well. It was a day full of memories that I and my kids will cherish.
  • olcowhand, DH1, powerking56 and 10 others have said thanks

#110 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:37 AM

For some reason a steppenwolf song keeps playing in my head when I look at this pic ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397396222.876844.jpg
  • MH81 said thank you

#111 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,738 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:43 AM

For some reason a steppenwolf song keeps playing in my head when I look at this pic attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1397396222.876844.jpg

I was going to go with Ride of the Valkyries from Apocalypse Now.

• MH81 said thank you

#112 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:04 AM

For some reason a steppenwolf song keeps playing in my head when I look at this pic attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1397396222.876844.jpg

Born to be Mild? :smilewink:
  • KennyP said thank you

#113 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:07 AM

181 tractors.......................WOW!

• MH81 said thank you

#114 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:18 AM

The trailers brought with that many tractors would cover half the fields out at my Dad's where we had last year's plow day.  How many acres ended up turned?

Looking forward to video!

#115 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 10:22 AM

Thanks to Grand & Alan for the preview pics! Good to see so many coming together for a bit of fun!

181 tractors.......................WOW!

That's a bunch of GT's!

• MH81 said thank you

#116 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 01:08 PM

The trailers brought with that many tractors would cover half the fields out at my Dad's where we had last year's plow day.  How many acres ended up turned?

Looking forward to video!

Tally on the board when I left at 5:30 was 85 but I would bet that goes up.

Alan I didn't realize that you guys stayed that late to plow into the rye field that much.  I started plowing in there but went to the bean field across the driveway and it plowed BEAUTIFUL!  Pulled easier too than the rye field.  I saw you pulling KK outta the field and was going to tell you that she could use my 12H if she wanted as it sat at the trailer ready to roll.  Unfortunately you guys got the end of the field before me and were down the hill till I got to the end of the furrow.  Glad I had a chain yesterday as I rescued 5 tractors with it throughout the day that got stuck in front of me.  One of them a green 318 who's plow CONSTANTLY kept plugging in front of me.

Edited by IHCubGuy, April 13, 2014 - 01:12 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#117 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Tally on the board when I left at 5:30 was 85 but I would bet that goes up.

Alan I didn't realize that you guys stayed that late to plow into the rye field that much.  I started plowing in there but went to the bean field across the driveway and it plowed BEAUTIFUL!  Pulled easier too than the rye field.  I saw you pulling KK outta the field and was going to tell you that she could use my 12H if she wanted as it sat at the trailer ready to roll.  Unfortunately you guys got the end of the field before me and were down the hill till I got to the end of the furrow.  Glad I had a chain yesterday as I rescued 5 tractors with it throughout the day that got stuck in front of me.  One of them a green 318 who's plow CONSTANTLY kept plugging in front of me.

We got hers going again, it wasn't a biggie. I bet the 12 would've made her nervous (bigger and not mine :D)
Ryan's chain got used three times as well. Glad you had a good day.
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#118 Jake ONLINE  

Jake

• Member No: 1241
  • 194 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 04:44 PM

Had a good time for my first time to plow day I will be back Thanks to all Jake

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#119 Cublover OFFLINE  

Cublover
  • Member No: 9512
  • 90 Thanks
  • 110 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 04:56 PM

Jake, That is a beautiful Case you have. I took a good look see at it when I got there.

• Jake said thank you

#120 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Here is a video of the rye field we plowed ........ just like gravy !!

• olcowhand, DH1, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks