Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:02 AM

I've become a fan of the small frame tractors, especially when in nice, original condition.  While not a vertical engine fanatic, I am impressed with the power and work that they will do.  The LT's of the '60's and '70's are certainly respectable workers, like their larger brothers.  Best of all, the small frames take up less room, fetch less dough, are neat as heck to buzz around on at shows, and will give me something to pass on to the kids sooner than later.  Their small stature turns heads whether piloted by an adult of child, and a pulley change on the tranny can make them move, without racing an engine.  

Obviously, it's fun to find some of the scarcer models, and to make a drive to 'chase' one down.  But, in this case, I had one under my nose my whole life, without knowing it.  This one was 3.6 miles from home, and is a one-owner machine that I have driven past on my way to and from work for over a year now.  Everything appears original except the engine, which is engine is from a later model 8 horse, but the original came with it, and the PO cannot recall why he swapped them out.  Thinks he did it to get away from points...we'll see some day.

20131126_204451.jpg
20131126_204500.jpg
20131126_204513.jpg

The extra-special-fun-part...This had popped up on CL for the astronomical price of $1000, but I was intrigued, as I hadn't been able to track down a decent B-208S, and it was too close to ignore.  The listing was being managed by the seller's grandson, a charming, but more or less uninterested middle school student.

Grandpa's tractor had not run in 20 years, so I'm told, but I offered to stop by and give my opinion on it.  I visited the seller 3 or 4 times over the past month to chat and 'take another look'.  I gave him my thoughts on the value of the various pieces, and of course, my take on the hobby, shows, befriending collectors, etc.  My goal of buying it became secondary, and I had a great time getting to know a local fella who appreciated the old Simplicity and AC machines.  He's currently mowing with a Prestige.  =]

Each visit was one of those "Hey I'll stop by", but turned into a "Hey, I really gotta go, it's been 2 hours!" type of encounter.  

Eventually, I received a call to just come and get it, as I had told him I really wasn't looking for a project machine at this time, but he promised he could get it running with ease.  I arrived and it took no less than 3 minutes of tinkering with the carb and some fresh gas, before it fired up off a battery box.  He even insisted on loading it all up, and delivering it to my house on his trailer.  

20131126_204436.jpg

To boot, this fella has begun buying up small engine machines, fixing and selling them, to keep his retirement active.  He took my info, and will give me a heads up on anything of the right brand  =]  He has one tractor that I have never seen or heard of, and that he's been mowing with for 10-15 years he says.  I cannot recal the name or model, but it was built in Freeport, MI and is nearly the size of a Powermax tractor.  It's huge and heavily built.  He was told it was one of 3 prototypes built, before the company scrapped the idea of building garden tractors.  He has a 72" zero-turn mower deck hooked up beneath it, and stuffed a CH23 Kohler under the hood (with plent of room to spare).  I reminded him of my phone number, should he decide to let that go  =]

• rustyoldjunk, daytime dave, Gtractor and 12 others have said thanks

#2 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the story. That is a fine looking little rider. Enjoy!

• hamman said thank you

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:12 AM

what a great find an a story to go with it

• hamman said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Neat tractor! And I think you have made a good friend!

• hamman said thank you

#5 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:18 AM

I liked your story.  It looks like it was very well cared for.  Congratulations on a nice find.

• hamman said thank you

#6 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:20 AM

What was different on the Super model??

• hamman said thank you

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 10:18 AM

The 'Super' had only a few mods over the standard B-208.  It was given the 'deluxe' seat with armrests, chrome bumper, had larger tires, and came with hubcaps, which I'll surely be adding in short order.  

• hamman said thank you

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 10:58 AM

You can meet some of the nicest people over a tractor. Get some pics of his GT. Bring him a pic of your pride and joy with your name and phone number on the back. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Great story and nice looking tractor, sounds like you made a good "tractor friend"

• hamman said thank you

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:17 PM

Good thing you just got rid of some things over the past months. All that room you freed up will start to shrink quickly.  Nice looking tractor! Great story also. Good luck with it. Roger.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 01:30 PM

Roger, funny you mention that.  I did move out a LOT of stuff, in hopes of bringing home another small frame (was trying for a T-7 or T-8), and a 300 or 400 series Allis.  I may end up with those plus the B-208!

Small frames are easier for me to store...most of the time.  When I moved into our current home last fall, the 'shop' was a big bonus, and is my tractor barn.  I started going vertical with my attachment storage, by using a bunch of scrap lumber the PO left behind...basically, I have 2-4x16' shelves covered with 3/4".  When I built the lower unit, I did so, so that my Broadmoor (and presumably all later small frames I picked up) would fit underneath to save on floor space taken up by tractors.

So far, that is working great, except the B-207 and B-208S both have the Allis hood flare, that gives access to the gas tank and battery...so, those tractors won't roll under!  They are too tall :wallbanging:

I'm considering jacking up the shelves, and rasing each support by 4" or so, to give me the height needed to roll those under.  I have 4 others under there now (Serf, CT-10, Squire 6, and the Swisher/Big Mow)  I have room for two more. 

• hamman said thank you

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 02:03 PM

Very nice survivor.
What year would that be?

Edited by Canawler, November 27, 2013 - 02:05 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#13 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 02:14 PM

Talented I have been thinking about doing the same thing. When I get time I will get some pics of the garage as it is now. Then I want to show by drawing (they will only let me use crayons) how I wnt to build shelves to store the GTs on. My only problem is that I want to be to fancy. I don't have a lift or forklift to raise them so I want to build ramps to ush them up onto the shelves. If I can ever get the last shed built I will have solved a lot of problems and will only have to shelve two tractors. Show us a picture of yours. Thanks. Roger.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Great story to go with a great find. I like those wide seats with the armrests. Congrats!

• hamman said thank you

#15 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Heres the shop today...
20131127_160450.jpg