6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,474 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Any one have or used one of these outfits? The prices are starting to come down on them around my area, just curious if they are decent blowers. I know there are many different types and brands. I have heard they are harder to handle than your typical wheel type blower. How heavy is the drive system?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,833 Thanks
  • 9,454 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Much heavier. I had a Honda that took everything I had to lift it into a truck bed. The paddles (treads) on the tracks are flexible, they grip as well as tires with chains. Almost. Better than snow hogs.

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,305 Thanks
  • 1,482 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I have a track drive blower I got from my father about 15 years ago.  It was about 20 years old then.  It is solid & heavy.  Has a Tecumesh engine that starts every time.  It is basically the same as a regular blower inside, except the final drive axle has a track drive gear on it instead of a wheel.  One huge negative is that it is a brute to move.  The track doesn't free-wheel, so it either moves under its own power or you have to drag it, pushing it is out of the question.  I finally built a cart for moving it around in the garage.  One plus is it will climb stairs.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:43 PM

I have never used one, but I would say that if it is anything like a tracked skid loader, it is useless on snow.  It will pack what it doesn't blow, and then as it scoots around it will create a skating rink. 

I might be wrong, like I said I have never used one and it might not be heavy enough to be like a track loader, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has seen something similar. 

Ben W.

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,305 Thanks
  • 1,482 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Mine doesn't pack the snow under it.  If anything, the treads breaks hard-pack into small pieces.  It also has a tilt lock that keeps the bottom of the blower dead level with the bottom of the track so it keeps the blower on the driveway surface.  Unlock the tilt & you can do anything a normal blower will do.

#6 chuckerfarm OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm
  • Member No: 47820
  • 27 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 04:58 AM

All companys seem to be offering the tracks and most have power steering!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 4,628 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 05:22 AM

I got to run a tracked blower when I helped a crew a few years ago. I was impressed with the handling of it. The track had cleats on it, kind of snowmobile track style, and there was little slipping. If you have to do a lot of turning, it is a bit harder with tracks. We had a lot of long side walks to do and it worked great for that.