Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Will Need Possible Help Next Spring From You Guys I Think.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Pending pickup I think I just bought this Swisher front bucket and am going to try to mount it to the MF 1650 using the mid mount hydraulics. May need help tweaking the mods needed to mount. Stay tuned.

Reg

Attached Thumbnails

• front bucket front.jpg
  • front bucket back.jpg

• hamman, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 06:24 PM

You "think" you bought it! :poke:

Looking good! Hope all works well for you and your new bucket!

• JRJ and gtcsreg have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 06:43 PM

That is a good looking bucket. Be neat to have. Hope you don't have to much trouble getting it mounted.

May need help tweaking the mods 

:poke: Which one?

• JRJ and gtcsreg have said thanks

#4 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:54 PM

First time CL buy and I've heard stories from you guys. Pick up Monday, fingers crossed.

#5 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 08:05 PM

First time CL buy and I've heard stories from you guys. Pick up Monday, fingers crossed.

Well guys, my first attempt to buy on CL may be my last. Just got a text from the fella I believed I had made a deal with that he had sold the bucket. This is not how I do business. When asked a direct question I answer it so as not to lead someone astray. I'd like you guys to be the judge though. This is our conversation off the text on my phone. Did I make a big assumption or did he avoid a direct answer so as to not lose a "sale"?

Me: Do you still have the dump bucket? Are you available for Monday pickup?
Him: Yes I do. Me: Would you take $100 cash? Him: No the bucket was over $400 new. Me: Putting on a garden tractor so not sure how much I have into mods. That's why I asked. I will be in XXXX Monday morning. I live 60 miles away so if we can pickup and pay then I can do it. Also, need to make sure this is a trip bucket as I have hydraulics on the tractor. Him: Yes it trips by pulling a rope that I unlatches. The buck when you dump. Me: Monday morning a possible pickup. Him: Yes. Me: Will you hold it then? I will pay the $130 cash. If so I need a time and address? Him: Call before you come & I will give u directions. it's not @ my house. Me: That will work as long as I can MapQuest before I leave. I will call around 8:30am with the hopes of getting there around 10:00am. Him: You can map quest the Shell Station on XXXXX in XXXX I will be meeting you there. Me: Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving. Him: you too. (that was all on Tuesday before Thanksgiving and received this text on Friday after Thanksgiving) Him: The swisher bucket has been sold.

Now if you guys think I'm the one who didn't understand I might still buy off CL otherwise I'd say I will only use it as a general reference as to the value of something.

#6 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 10:37 PM

IMO you understood him fine but I've come to realize there's often miscommunication via text message (I think due to lack of basic grammar skills, generally on the other end) so I do phone calls whenever possible. The other thing to keep in mind is that your experience with purchasing anything is greatly dependant on the seller and will vary drastically from person to person. I've had some great transactions and some horrible ones... Just gotta keep trying.
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Oh man, that is a bum deal. I don't think you misunderstood him at all. I would have gotten the impression he was holding it for you also.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:43 AM

From what I read there, you guys had a deal. He was going to meet you at the Shell station.

I don't think you can blame shopping on CL though. There are, less than honorable people

out there everywhere. At least he had the decency to text you and let you know it's sold.

Quite possibly he's been burned by someone before that was going to show up

but didn't, so now he's grabbing the first $ that comes to him.

I don't think it's right to do business that way either. It's sad that this has

become such a "Me" world.

Keep hunting for a bucket. That would have been a cool build.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#9 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thank you guys, was a little hurt more than the loss of the bucket. I just really like seeing the good in people and try to involve myself with people. Your comments are spot on. God reveled to me this morning that the money I was going to use on that bucket should be used on showering my wife with love. She's the best. Again, thanks.

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Yea, been there too, had stuff sold out from under me after I was told it was mine.

Don't let your first bad apple shy you away from buying from CL.

When I bought the Speedex's this weekend, guy was either moving his van or trying to leave before I got there. He even said " I was kind of hoping you wouldn't show, it's too cold out here to be removing this diesel motor" . Good thing I was 15 mins early or he might have stuck me.

• gtcsreg said thank you

#11 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Some people are good to deal with on CL. I just acquired a Johnny Bucket from a guy who texted and spoke with me on the friday before  thanksgiving and it was a go the day before. I drove an hour and a half to get it. He pulled the ad on my word that it was sold. That is how I like business on CL.  I am sorry to hear your deal went south. Keep looking and you will come across a bucket.

Geno 

• gtcsreg said thank you

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Read it again.  He did not say "yes" when you asked if he would hold it.

I'm amazed that he let you know it sold.  I've had a case where I didn't find out something had been sold until I showed up as scheduled to pick it up from someone who was holding it.  Of course, I've also been the person unknowingly buying a "held" item out from under someone on the forum. 

#13 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:05 PM

Read it again.  He did not say "yes" when you asked if he would hold it.
I'm amazed that he let you know it sold.  I've had a case where I didn't find out something had been sold until I showed up as scheduled to pick it up from someone who was holding it.  Of course, I've also been the person unknowingly buying a "held" item out from under someone on the forum.

Yeah, I noticed that but I don't do business like that nor do my friends. A lesson learned. I prefer to look for the good in folks, it's the price I sometimes pay. Just would have preferred he would have said "I don't hold things". Next time a phone call not a text.

Edited by gtcsreg, November 30, 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#14 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Just to be clear, I agree with you completely on how to do business.

Don't get too discouraged with CL.  It really is a good way to find things.  The vast majority of the time my dealings on CL have gone very smoothly. 

• gtcsreg said thank you