Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Are Steel Panels Available For Cub Cadet 1861?

cub cadet 1861 side panels 1861 cub cadet hood cub cadet cyclops

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 04:26 PM

I brought a similar topic up a few months ago--I wanted to find out if I could modify the hood and side panels from another series of Cub Cadet--like the 1250, etc. to fit my 1861.  The plastic panels have been bolted together by the previous owner, but they're starting to crack out.

Does anyone know if any of the 1800 or similar Cubs with the "Cyclops" style headlight had panels made of steel, or at least fiberglass instead of the flimsy plastic on the 1861?

Or, has anyone done a "roll your own" mod and built the hood, grill and side panels for these machines?

I don't want to run it without the hood, etc. because the engine would be exposed to the weather.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, November 26, 2013 - 06:22 PM.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hi smitty. Not sure if the quite line series side shields will fit because of it being a different frame and im not sure how long each frame is. I know where your coming from with the busted plastic shields. Usually there are a few sets here and there if you look. I got about 2 pairs off ebay for a pretty good price and in good shape. I got the 1782 super cub with the Kubota diesel in it and it came with busted up side shields. Im taking a auto body class and you can either have the cracks plastic welded or buy plastic glue from an auto body store for about 50$ a tube. I ended up welding my side shields together although they're not the best looking by any means :rolling:. My dad came up with the idea of using the 3000 series sheet metal and it gives it a really aggressive look to it :thumbs:

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 06:57 AM

Thanks, Mike.

I Googled up some pics of different Cubs to try and find something with similar lines--also checked out specs on Tractor Data. The Quiet line hood and dash are quite different--the dash forms an extension of the hood's lines for several inches, instead of the rear edge of the hood being flush with the face of the dash.

I did find that the 682 and 782 Cubs had identical lengths, WB, widths, and heights. The hood to dash intersection are similar, as are the frame rails. I'm wondering if panels and hood from those machines are also plastic as well?

I'm tempted to just "roll my own" hood, or adapt an old Murray hood I have... I'll be forced to do ssomething--my ppanels look fine, but all the mounting tabs are broken off-- I'm afraid every time I open the hood that the whole thing will just fall off the tractor.

Smitty

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 12:20 PM

I ended up having to make new tabs on mine. That's the only down fall with this series cubs. The plastic is known to break easily and sometimes hard to track down. The 82 series had the steel side shields on them as well. The Cyclops model with the only plastic one besides the new ones. The older series that were in the late 80's early 90's had that fiberglass hood on them.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've researched this a bit, and there are several models in the X82 series that seem to share the same or very similar side panels and hood-- 482, 582, 582 Special, 682, 782, 982, 1572, 1772, 2072.

Now I just need to to find the hood and side panels from one of them... I think they'll go on pretty slick, and shouldn't look bad, either.

Regards,

Smitty

• spndncash said thank you

#6 spndncash OFFLINE  

spndncash
  • Member No: 53171
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hi Smitty,

I have a 2182 which is a little more complicated because the kubota muffler has a football size hole in the right side panel further weakening the plastic side panels. I am on my second set. I cut up a set from a 1641 last time. if you are successful at this I would like to see your work, procedure etc.  I am sure you will have to swap out the header/grill as well. If I recall from my 782 this is a cast (possibly cast aluminum) unit so modifications to the header will be difficult without a TIG. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

.....If this was not bad enough I have a sims cab on mine as well.

I am new to your site, have not read the rules and am probably breaking a rule or two...My apologies.

Thanks 

Doug

• Utah Smitty and Cat385B have said thanks

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hi Smitty,

I have a 2182 which is a little more complicated because the kubota muffler has a football size hole in the right side panel further weakening the plastic side panels. I am on my second set. I cut up a set from a 1641 last time. if you are successful at this I would like to see your work, procedure etc.  I am sure you will have to swap out the header/grill as well. If I recall from my 782 this is a cast (possibly cast aluminum) unit so modifications to the header will be difficult without a TIG. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

.....If this was not bad enough I have a sims cab on mine as well.

I am new to your site, have not read the rules and am probably breaking a rule or two...My apologies.

Thanks 

Doug

I have two sets of sides panels, 1 set from a 782, and one from another which I can't remember right now.  It's white.  I also have a hood and grill--the grill is cast aluminum.  I don't have the gas setup to do TIG though I do have a welder that can do it, I may have to get the gas, or maybe I'll find another way to mount it.  The tractor is in my canvas trampoline frame shed right now--calmly waiting for spring.  I probably won't do much until then.

Thanks for your reply,

Smitty

• spndncash said thank you

#8 spndncash OFFLINE  

spndncash
  • Member No: 53171
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Hi Smitty,

I understand entirely. I have a large shop but heating it is expensive and this winter is giving my snow blower a workout. no time for a teardown for me either. I would be tempted to buy a whole tractor just so I could get measurements and angles right.

two tips.

1. The red 492-982 (d models were a little different to accommodate a kubota diesel exhaust) hood - header - side panels are all the same. They were replaced in the MTD buyout with white and yellow versions that maintained the body panels. this is almost every cub cadet GT from 1982 - 1989 more or less if it looks the same except color it is the same.

2. with a little practice you can use a stick arc welder using the specialty rods for aluminum (4043 reverse DC)or cast iron (ferroweld or softweld 55 if you have to machine it)keep in mind Aluminum welds are weaker than the aluminum you are welding and the rods are consumed QUICK). Practice on something else similar first.

Stay warm

Doug

• KennyP said thank you