19 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 12:29 PM

That is a good point. I have a Chop Saw and while it works and is fast. It is a loud Spark throwing firebreathing dragon and overall a very messy tool to work with and all cuts are burned.  A metal cutting bandsaw while it take up a little more space is a much quieter more pleasant machine that gives a much cleaner cut(no nasty blued steel burs needing ground off). In case you have not guessed I would replace the chop saw with a bandsaw in a heartbeat!!

We use chop saws mainly in all of our fab work.  They don't do terrible in my opinion but they aren't perfect. 

I do have a buddy with a full machine shop too, so I could possibly measure it all up and just have him shear everything for me.

I could also have him cut make me a once piece diamond plate floor....oh man we are getting expensive now.

I'm going to see what I can find.  I've found some plans for metal and wood.  Basically the same plans with different materials. 

I can get 20' sticks of 3" channel for under 45 dollars a piece. 

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 27, 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#17 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I put the first wooden flatbed on my pickup over 20 years ago. It has the second one on it now, and it is pretty much rotted out. I also put one on one of my trailers. I used 6/4 poplar dried in my own kiln on the previous beds I built.

I am getting ready to replace both of them soon. I don't have a kiln anymore and I do have a lot of pressure treated 2x6's and 2x8's so I will use that this time.

Here's some pics of my pickup and trailer.

P.jpg O.jpg N.jpg R.jpg S.jpg Q.jpg

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 12:14 AM

I put the first wooden flatbed on my pickup over 20 years ago. It has the second one on it now, and it is pretty much rotted out. I also put one on one of my trailers. I used 6/4 poplar dried in my own kiln on the previous beds I built.

I am getting ready to replace both of them soon. I don't have a kiln anymore and I do have a lot of pressure treated 2x6's and 2x8's so I will use that this time.

Here's some pics of my pickup and trailer.

attachicon.gifP.jpgattachicon.gifO.jpgattachicon.gifN.jpgattachicon.gifR.jpgattachicon.gifS.jpgattachicon.gifQ.jpg

I worked for TWAMCO trailers just before I got married.  They built HD trailers for moving construction equipment, etc.  They used Cottonwood (a type of poplar) for the decks.  I used to have to lay in the decks... the wood was in a big, jumbled pile in the yard, and many pieces were warped enough to make a bow for Robin Hood.  It was tough wood, though--real stringy. 

I also remember cutting down a cotton wood for firewood when I lived in Idaho... had a deuce of a time trying to split it!!!

Smitty

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Depending on what you would use it for I think would determine wood vs metal. I have seen some really nice wood ones. If you have access to some good metal reasonable I would go that route. On using the chop saw to get a good true cut let the saw cut a little raise it up & then cut some more. I have seen people cut too fast causing the blade to slow down too much then it wonders giving a crooked cut. Keep us posted.

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Thanks man that gave me something to chew on