24 replies to this topic

#16 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted December 22, 2010 - 10:50 PM

Yes, it is the deep tray. The tractor had a car battery in it when i got it, so i know it fits. All of my tractors from 70-73 have the deep tray, but i have no pre-70 ones to compare to...YET

#17 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:10 PM

While I was in my shed today I took the tape measure and measured the different years I have. The 1970 12 has about 10" from the bottom of the box to the hood. The 1969 12 has about 9.5". The 1966 10 has about 8.5". I did not expect them to all be different.....

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 07:16 PM

While I was in my shed today I took the tape measure and measured the different years I have. The 1970 12 has about 10" from the bottom of the box to the hood. The 1969 12 has about 9.5". The 1966 10 has about 8.5". I did not expect them to all be different.....

I never knew there was a difference until this thread.

#19 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 09:59 PM

I never knew there was a difference until this thread.

I think because of this great forum, many things unknown about garden tractors will be discovered. Many tractors once unrepairable will be brought back from the dead. For myself this thread about the battery swap is critical to keeping the engineering project functional and realistic.

It is very likely the MF10D will meet its first snowfall tomorrow, car battery or not. Bring it on winter, the 60's are back. FWIW this tractor was in service for the worst winter this state ever saw, 1968 its first year of service.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 01:59 PM

I think because of this great forum, many things unknown about garden tractors will be discovered.

That is for sure. Many discoveries already!

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 12:11 PM

I noticed yesterday while working on my neighbors MF10 , the A) the left footboard does not have the "knock out" at the lift handle, it's solid. Also, on my 12 there is a extra "plate" that is near the seat, at the belt path. He does not have that either. I think his was a 69.

#22 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 01:21 PM

I noticed that too about the lift handle knockout, early models had belt driven hyd lift where later models were electric and the knockout was removed to make room for it.
Not sure what you mean about the extra plate on the belt side though.

#23 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 01:03 AM

Parts are here today, a special thanks to mustang1984.

It was a whopping 11 degrees for a high today and -4 now so I'll have to wait for the weekend to see if I can pull off the swap quick. Had to plug in the auxillary heaters and connect a second LGT battery to get it started today, but with wind chill temps were well into "stay inside" on the thermometer. Snowed 12-14" here Monday and got to test the snowblower, test was semi successful but, some belt slippage problems surfaced. Swapped belts today, and blew out the road ditch in second gear for a "test".

The test was successful, no belt slip, black smoke rolled and snow was relocated. Sounds like a V8 engine on fast idle when it's running the blower. Apparently the neighbors have never seen anything like it. This thing throws a lot of snow and I'm showing it off.

#24 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 04:13 PM

Nice, now i really want to do a diesel swap on one of my tractors. I was wondering if you got that part yet.

#25 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• Member No: 1521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hey MF10 Diesel, I went a little different direction with my diesel repower and mounted my battery sideways due to space limitations. I'm up in Canada and get lots of snow and cold so I went with a 875 CCA car battery to make sure the diesel turns over. It was minus 18 (minus 22 with the windchill) this morning and had no problems starting.

Since I'm building this for me and have no intentions of reverting it back to stock I don't mind modifying whatever I need to. I ended up taking out the sling for the gas tank since I was using the gas tank set up from the engine anyways and the battery fits great.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN6306.jpg
  • DSCN6305.jpg