Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cake Day!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:05 PM

It's five o'clock in the morning and the radio man told me some time ago: It's cake day in America.

Please, who can explain me the sense of this day?

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:26 PM

I have never heard of cake day before.     :say_what:

• backwoods and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:58 PM

It's weird, it seems every day has some kinda celebration attached to it. Cake day (while good sounding) is a fictitious celebration.

Don't tell the other mods tho, they bought it & they're all busy baking in the kitchen...
  • Alc, KennyP, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Don't tell the other mods tho, they bought it & they're all busy baking in the kitchen...

Scott, too?!?!?  I feel bad for the oven...

Ben W.

• jd.rasentrac and Team_Green have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:26 AM

Scott, too?!?!?  I feel bad for the oven...

Ben W.

We have a separate oven for Scott and his catnip based foods... It says easy bake on it.
  • KennyP, backwoods, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Well it seems Wolfgang knows more than we do about our holidays? As to the sense in it, I'm not sure? The US/North America being something of a melting pot of people from all over the world, who have brought traditions from the homeland with them. There are a lot of traditions I'm not familiar with.

I remember the story of a daughter who cut the ends off her ham, and asked her mother why she always cut ends  off the ham. The Response was because my mother always did.

The daughter asked her mother the same question and was told, that it was because the ham was too big to fit the pan she had. Instead of getting a bigger pan it had become a family tradition to cut the ends off the ham?  

Sometimes Traditions carried down through families come about out of strange reasoning?

I had never hear of National Cake Day, so googled it and this is what I found.

National Cake Day November 26, 2013 is

It’s National Cake Day! On this day, we celebrate one of the world’s favorite desserts—cake. The cake we know and love today evolved from early leavened breads, which were sweetened with honey, fruit, and nuts. Did you know that the word “cake” comes from the Old Norse word, “kaka,” meaning a baked flour confection?

Whether you prefer vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, or even the pineapple-upside-down variety, grab a slice of your favorite cake to celebrate this delicious day! Happy National Cake Day!

If I were guessing with Thanksgiving day coming up Thursday, and Mothers,cooking all week to prepare for family get togethers, things were prepared in shifts(due to limited oven space) so everything was ready for the Feast? I know at my house the wife said she was starting the pies for Thursday tonight.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 26, 2013 - 10:25 AM.

• sacsr, jd.rasentrac, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I think tomorrow is peanut butter and jelly day. I am going to the store now before its all sold out.
  • KennyP, sacsr, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#8 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Never heard of it.  But every day could be cake day and Id be good with that :rocker2:

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:33 PM

I suspect Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker have something to do with starting this.

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:57 PM

From kaka to cake? Never saw that one coming......
  • backwoods said thank you

#11 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well it seems Wolfgang knows more than we do about our holidays? As to the sense in it, I'm not sure? The US/North America being something of a melting pot of people from all over the world, who have brought traditions from the homeland with them. There are a lot of traditions I'm not familiar with.

I remember the story of a daughter who cut the ends off her ham, and asked her mother why she always cut ends  off the ham. The Response was because my mother always did.

The daughter asked her mother the same question and was told, that it was because the ham was too big to fit the pan she had. Instead of getting a bigger pan it had become a family tradition to cut the ends off the ham?  

Sometimes Traditions carried down through families come about out of strange reasoning?

It’s National Cake Day! On this day, we celebrate one of the world’s favorite desserts—cake. The cake we know and love today evolved from early leavened breads, which were sweetened with honey, fruit, and nuts. Did you know that the word “cake” comes from the Old Norse word, “kaka,” meaning a baked flour confection?

Whether you prefer vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, or even the pineapple-upside-down variety, grab a slice of your favorite cake to celebrate this delicious day! Happy National Cake Day!

If I were guessing with Thanksgiving day coming up Thursday, and Mothers,cooking all week to prepare for family get togethers, things were prepared in shifts(due to limited oven space) so everything was ready for the Feast? I know at my house the wife said she was starting the pies for Thursday tonight.

In D the word "kaka" has an other sence...

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Never heard of it.  But every day could be cake day and Id be good with that :rocker2:

What a fantastic day.. Cake day + birthday = one happy fat guy= me 

• sacsr and js5020 have said thanks