• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 05:24 AM

While I see the value in reducing TexT n drive' they will have to write a lot of tickets to pay for those special vehicles where regular cars and roof mounted cams could do the same. Oh well, I guess that's why I'm not in charge...

Not sure what would be worse, the idiot texting, or the ccop watching a video monitor while driving to see who"s texting !

#17 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 07:40 AM

If you know that your intended receiver of messages is driving and you do it repeatedly , you might as well be in the vehicle . Easy enough to understand . Distracted driving kills people .

#18 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:34 AM

If you know that your intended receiver of messages is driving and you do it repeatedly , you might as well be in the vehicle . Easy enough to understand . Distracted driving kills people .

And the phone manufacture sold a device that they know will be used while driving and  Verizon issued service that they know will be used while driving.

• Sparky, HowardsMF155 and twostep have said thanks

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,301 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:43 AM

And the phone manufacture sold a device that they know will be used while driving and  Verizon issued service that they know will be used while driving.

Call the lawyers!!  

Next we'll phone interlock safety device to be installed on all cars because people are too stupid to not answer the dang phone when they are driving?!?!

What's more important?  The phone or your life?

Here's your sign......

Common sense just ain't so common anymore!!!

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'll bet that is where any lawsuit will go because that is where the money is.  

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 09:11 AM

You know I think it was a better, less stressful and safer world before cell phones!!  I have had a cell phone since they were the size of Bricks? Spending a couple hours on the road every day I consider it safety equipment. But being tied to a phone 8 hrs a day, about the last thing I want to do is answer the phone or even talk on it when I'm off work. I will not answer it when I am driving! I get really agrivated when I am out on the far end of the property working and my grandaughter calls and wants me to give the phone to the wife?   That said there is one on my belt from the time I get dressed in the morning till the time I go to bed.  And am often tempted to shut the darn thing off.

There really is no peace and solitude when one is tied to that darn phone.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 26, 2013 - 09:13 AM.

• Sparky, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 09:18 AM

It's way out of control. All this tech stuff should be taken out of the vehicles.

Sure, a GPS/map unit is helpful, but just like any technology, it's constantly

being changed and replaced. People then spend time learning it/playing with it while

they should be focused on driving. I think it's much safer, to get out the road map

before you leave, right down your turn points, and glance at that as needed,

instead of trying to cut time off the ETA that the GPS calculated.

Just look at the car commercials now. They don't advertise whether it has brakes, or

engine size...etc. They tell us about the touch screen and phone system, and self parking

and pre impact avoidance systems. People have to stop relying on all that stuff, and drive

their vehicles.

Last Thurs I was on a 4 lane hwy,

and watched a dumb arse tailgate a minivan that had the drop down passenger

TV/DVD screens running. He was on their arse as they changed lanes constantly. They 

where trying to shake him, and he was trying to watch the hockey game, or whatever was

on. It was actually so scary, I was cringing.

I have a cell that stays in the center console, for emergency only, and I spend my time

on the road, watching out for all those idiots texting/phoning, and avoiding them.

• Sparky, HDWildBill and twostep have said thanks

#23 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Tn has a semi they use for the same thing. It is marked but since it is a semi and not a car people ignore it.

And I'm pretty sure there are two officers in that rig... one driving and one watching others.

I read an article in my local paper about how few tickets are written for texting because it is hard to prove they are texting instead of just working the GPS or finding someone in their contact list. Of course this is just a foreshadowing of coming "hands free" laws (which I have no problem with). There are only two numbers that I call regularly that it'll happen when I'm driving, my wife is speed dial #2 and my folks house is speed dial #3. No contact list needed.

I don't even have text on my phone... don't see the need for it. If someone wants to email me then they can. If they want immediate response they should probably call me.

It's also not uncommon for me to let my phone go dead and I'll just leave it like that for the day.

#24 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Yes the TN semi has 2 troopers. They don't actually pull people over then radio for patrol cars.

• daytime dave and Sparky have said thanks

#25 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Willie.  Interesting video. 

I'm glad it's being addressed.  I see it everyday.  Used to be you had to watch out for ice or debris on the road.  Now you have to consider almost every car a potential problem.   

I can't wait to move away from suburbia and cities.

• Sparky and IamSherwood have said thanks

#26 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I cannot believe people still text and drive after all the media attention it gets! You really CANNOT fix stupid! As far as the 32 SUV's, that partially explains why NYS has one of the highest tax rates.