36 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Robert I will be following this and can hardly wait for the pictures of the finished product.

I'm also interested in you plans for the silage wagon. 

I have one in mind myself to haul mulch for the garden. Though I was planning a tandem trailer, possibly with walking beams and hydralic dump. Of course I would have to plumb the axuilary hydralics for my Ford to run it.

• JRJ said thank you

#17 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 420 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 11:16 AM

JD, the BIG hold up on the "silage wagon bed" is trying to figure out how to unload it.  I have a John Deere R manure spreader that was GIVEN to me but it has been sitting out in the weather for YEARS and the chains are pretty much rusted solid.  I have come up with several ideas but they require hydraulic power of some sort and the 425 that I plan to pull it with has limited hydraulic ports and I am not sure that it has the capacity to turn a hydraulic motor to run the conveyor.  I have also thought about one of those "Bed unloaders" that you see that is made to unload the bed of a pickup but that means that I have to get off of the tractor and actually go back there and Crank on it........that sounds like WORK to me and cutting grass is supposed to be RELAXING.......lol  I have been thinking about another option for the last few days ........an electrical motor kind of like you see on the self contained dump systems.  But to be quite honest.......with everything that has been going on around here, most of my "thinking" time has been while I was at work and that makes it hard to actually put any ideas on paper to work out the "kinks" or to source parts for a particular idea.  The actual bed part of it is going to be pretty easy to build.  Once I get the unloading system figured out, I can build the bed to accommodate it and then the sides and roof will be square tubing and roofing sheet metal.

Just something to keep me busy during the cold winter months.............lol

I could always hook it behind the JD430 and run a pump off of the PTO but that would mean having to put the deck back under it ............NO THANKS......lol  Besides.....what fun is there in doing it the "easy way"

• JRJ said thank you

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 12:08 PM

JD, the BIG hold up on the "silage wagon bed" is trying to figure out how to unload it.  I have a John Deere R manure spreader that was GIVEN to me but it has been sitting out in the weather for YEARS and the chains are pretty much rusted solid.  I have come up with several ideas but they require hydraulic power of some sort and the 425 that I plan to pull it with has limited hydraulic ports and I am not sure that it has the capacity to turn a hydraulic motor to run the conveyor.  I have also thought about one of those "Bed unloaders" that you see that is made to unload the bed of a pickup but that means that I have to get off of the tractor and actually go back there and Crank on it........that sounds like WORK to me and cutting grass is supposed to be RELAXING.......lol  I have been thinking about another option for the last few days ........an electrical motor kind of like you see on the self contained dump systems.  But to be quite honest.......with everything that has been going on around here, most of my "thinking" time has been while I was at work and that makes it hard to actually put any ideas on paper to work out the "kinks" or to source parts for a particular idea.  The actual bed part of it is going to be pretty easy to build.  Once I get the unloading system figured out, I can build the bed to accommodate it and then the sides and roof will be square tubing and roofing sheet metal.

Just something to keep me busy during the cold winter months.............lol

I could always hook it behind the JD430 and run a pump off of the PTO but that would mean having to put the deck back under it ............NO THANKS......lol  Besides.....what fun is there in doing it the "easy way"

Robert: Those chains can be a paint to get unfrozen. New chains should be available at Farm Supply stores On a smaller scale  I think a rubber belt attatched to chains would roll out the load in a neat loaf. Much as you describe and I agree a power drive would be a serious consideration. I think you might get by with using a heavy duty automotive starter with a chain drive to drive a wide belt under the load. If needed angle Iron could be riveted to the belt for load traction..

In a previous career I had a hand in building these Hay Stackers and they were PTO Driven chain unloaders. We Sold them on the Western Plains(Colorado, North Dakota Montana Etc) where their relatively dry climate allowed loose Stacked Hay. After the hay was cut and dried, This machine ,chopped and blew the hay into the wagon forming a closely packed loaf that was simply unloaded with chains onto  the ground. We also made a Stack Mover which was a flatbed trailer that picked up the loaves dropped in the field.

66_1.jpg

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 29, 2013 - 12:50 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,486 Thanks
  • 30,606 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Robert, you may be able to use a winch to power the bed.  Belt on chain would be best I think.  As to the winch, if you could adapt a chain sprocket to the winch, it would be simple as sin after that.

• JD DANNELS and JRJ have said thanks

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Robert, you may be able to use a winch to power the bed.  Belt on chain would be best I think.  As to the winch, if you could adapt a chain sprocket to the winch, it would be simple as sin after that.

Great Idea Daniel!! Why did'nt I think of that the gear reduction is already built into the winch?

• JRJ said thank you

#21 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 420 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 05:28 PM

<~~~~~~~~~~dont have the ingenuity and machining capabilities nor the now how that Daniel possesses........ :wallbanging:

• JRJ said thank you

#22 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 420 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Due to time restraints, I am going to have to change my plans on the deck.  With only a week left to go and issues with my table saw, I am going to use PT 5/4 X 6 Deck boards to deck the trailer with and then when I have the time to get the hickory ripped up like I want it, sealed and ready to install I will take the PT off and use it for a platform in front of my workshop.  No waste of materials and I wont have to be working like a mad man trying to get finished. I can take my time to get the Hickory Deck finished properly!  I am going to route all of the edges of the railings and edges of the deck, sand them nice and smooth, coat them with several coats of Spar Urethane or whatever finish I decide to use, and then assemble it all and probably put another coat of sealant on it.  That way I wont have to worry about it and I will be happy with the way that it was built.  It never fails, when I get in a hurry, I do something that I regret for a long time afterwards.  I have to take Kimme to Chemo on Tuesday and back to the Cardiologist on Thursday so I wont be able to get much done on those days and I plan to be loaded up Friday afternoon since I am going to have to make several trips to get all of the tractors, trailer and carts to the parade staging area Saturday morning.

I plan to get the PT deck installed tomorrow so there will be PLENTY of pictures to share!

• olcowhand, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#23 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,796 Thanks
  • 8,422 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Good call., Better to have it together temporarily than to miss out on the parade

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,738 Thanks
  • 43,783 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me Robert.

#25 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 420 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Well I had planned to spend the better part of the day finishing this build but forces greater than myself decided that it was going to be.  Kimme is back in the hospital and I have had all of about 2 hours sleep since I got up YESTERDAY morning.  I will go into those details in the prayer thread.

I did go home for a little while this afternoon for some "ME TIME" and got the trailer out of the storage building.  That was  HUGE feat in itself!  This is the first time that it has seen daylight since I put it in there about a month or so ago.

IMG 1740
I got it out and finished putting the "rim joist" around the outside of the deck.  I just layed the decking on it just to see what it was going to look like.  I went to Lowe's and bought the lumber and "THOUGHT" that I had 2" deck screws at home but found out later that they were 1 1/4" instead. so that put a screeching halt to installing the actual deck boards.
IMG 1741
I couldnt resist unloading the 430 and pulling it around the yard a few times to take some pics. (just to show you how hectic my life has been, my 430 has been sitting on the trailer since the day I came home from the Alabama Plow day.....and that was back on Nov 12th I 'think)
IMG 1742
I decided to pile the decking in a pile in the middle of the trailer just to take a few pics.
IMG 1744
The trailer chassis had a hitch plate on the rear that allows me to hook other trailers to it like a train so I couldnt resist dragging out the 20 cart and hooking it up.
IMG 1745
Here is the hitch setup.kind of hard to see though.
IMG 1746
One last picture after I parked it for the night. Hopefully I will get away long enough to get the decking finished tomorrow and then I can start working on the sides for it.  Depending on how this week goes, I might just have to TIE the kids to the trailer to keep them from falling off   :bigrofl:

Edited by Robert Webb, November 30, 2013 - 06:41 PM.

• MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#26 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 420 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:05 PM

OK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, The moment that you have ALL been waiting for......................I present to you the FINISHED MINI HAY RACK.............(it is finished until I have time to build the final bed out of HICKORY)

IMG 3740
IMG 3741
IMG 3742
IMG 3743
IMG 3744

Dang those WHITE Wheels HAVE GOT TO GO!

Edited by Robert Webb, December 01, 2013 - 06:07 PM.

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#27 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 420 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:06 PM

It is PARADE READY...............and I dont think the little curtain climbing crumb snatchers will be "escaping" from this roll play pen.............. :bigrofl:

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,738 Thanks
  • 43,783 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 06:30 PM

That looks real nice, Robert! Should keep them confined!

#29 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,796 Thanks
  • 8,422 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Looks great

#30 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand