Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 08:33 AM

On my Simplicity with same 16 HP briggs and no points I will get a backfire on start up if the battery is low and it is cranking slow.  But after starting it runs great.  How good is your battery?

#17 BillTribbitt OFFLINE  

BillTribbitt
  • Member No: 48427
  • 51 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:02 AM

That seems to be the key thing. If the battery is fully charged it started better. Put a new battery on and same thing. If I put it on the charger and let it charge for a couple hours it does much better. Gonna check the magnatron ignition this weekend. If it's just a little far away from the flywheel could that cause a weaker spark and hard starting?

#18 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:36 AM

I dont really know the reason, just that if it cranks and back fires I better get the charger out.

#19 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 10:28 PM

If the Flywheel has 3 magnets on it a replacement Electronic ignition coil will fire on the 1st magnet which is way to far advanced.It makes it very hard to turn over and it will burn the valves if it is run like this.You can Not use a Magnatron Ignition module Or one of the Nova II ignition modules on a 3 magnet flywheel.I know for a fact that it will not work correctly.

It will act like it is loading up and it will try to run backwards for the 1st couple revolutions.This is very very hard on the crank,cam and the starter.It will also run extremely Hot within a couple of minutes.

I've burnt up 1 16hp briggs engine and several starters before I figured out what was wrong.I've had 4 cast iron 16 singles 2 14hps and 1 12hp that had the same problem.Your best option is to either send the flywheel in to Briggs to have it re-polerized (BTW it costs Zero $$$ other than shipping costs)or go buy the correct Points Mag and a set of points and new condenser.

If you have a Single Magnet Flywheel than you will need to have your Flywheel Re-Polerized for an electronic ignition coil or Magnatron to work correctly.

Here is some Great Info.Took me a bit to remember where it was but this may help you figure out if your Flywheel needs to be re-polerized.

To determine whether or not your flywheel has been re-polarized and is magnetron ready, offer a compass to the center fin of the aluminum magnet carrier on the flywheel. If north points toward the flywheel, it has not been re-polarized and is not magnetron ready. If south points toward the flywheel, it has been re-polarized and is magnetron ready.

Below is a pic demonstrating using a compass on a flywheel that is not magnetron ready. Notice that north points toward the flywheel:

P1010086.jpg

That appears to be a magnetron armature that you have on your tractor. Engines with flywheels that are not magnetron ready and have had a magnetron armature installed on them, sometimes won't start or are hard starting, and if they do start, will never run like they should.

If you need to have your flywheel re-polarized, Briggs will do it for free. Just be sure to pack it well to insulate it from damage. Include a short note describing what you need, the Model, Type and Code of the engine, and a return address.

Ship to:

Briggs & Stratton

Menomonee Falls Distribution Center

INBOUND DOCKS 1-13

N83W12529 OLD ORCHARD ROAD

MENOMONEE FALLS WISCONSIN 53051

Edited by EricFromPa, December 03, 2013 - 10:33 PM.

• Alc and sacsr have said thanks