Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Crappy Week-The Week That Should Never Have Been!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Have not been on much the last week. Plumbing trouble, The plumbing messed up last tuesday and I spent the whole week fighting it. Bought a power rat and ran through the whole house.. Had the Septic Tank pumped and still got nowhere. Saturday with w 15 degree, windy day  Dug a 5 ft hole and replaced 4 ft of pipe into the tank  and now it's fixed. I put in a cleanout 3 ft off the tank so I can run a rat later if needed.

Now Why do these things only happen when the Weather is BAD?

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 25, 2013 - 11:27 AM.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:34 AM

At  least it wasn't Thanksgiving ,,,,, you had a house full of people ,,,,,,, everyone just got done eating and then had your plumbing problems ,

• hamman, sacsr, HDWildBill and 9 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:41 AM

I think you need to rethink about last week. It sounds like you had a $2,000+ problem and fixed it yourself. It may have been a pain but its done and you saved alot. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Rick

• Alc, hamman, JD DANNELS and 5 others have said thanks

#4 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 11:42 AM

Very bad visual for lunchtime reading, but glad you got it sorted out.  And yes I have had to do the drain clean out snake dance on Thanksgiving too....

• Alc, hamman, JD DANNELS and 5 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Glad you found and fixed the issue! Hope the week goes smooth for ya!

• hamman, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:14 PM

About ten years ago, my cousin had his fail Christmas Day.
After spending an obscene amount of money for Holiday Rates, big bucks on new pipe... It ended up his youngest flushed an ornament and it was stuck in the s bend of the toilet itself.

Sorry you had an issue, but the hole and expense could've been worse...
  • Alc, hamman, JD DANNELS and 4 others have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:19 PM

I think you need to rethink about last week. It sounds like you had a $2,000+ problem and fixed it yourself. It may have been a pain but its done and you saved alot. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Rick

Yeah I do have about $750 in the Job. The Tank needed pumped anyway and  the power rat is money in the bank? One Service Call will pay for it.So it's on the shelf for the next time.   I still have to backfill the hole.

And Al your right I had to get it fixed last week there will be a housefull Thursday. And I find these things usually hit on a holiday when(stores closed) you can't get parts to fix it?

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 25, 2013 - 12:27 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:23 PM

After spending an obscene amount of money for Holiday Rates, big bucks on new pipe... It ended up his youngest flushed an ornament and it was stuck in the s bend of the toilet itself.

Yeah I have been there too. Taken lots of toys and junk out of toilets and drains. The Absolute worst was a full bar of Zest Handsoap.

I had to take the toilet up take it out in the yard(Wife Says What will the neighbors think?) and run a garden hose through the trap until I had broke it up and flushed it out.

• MH81, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Often 2 year olds are facinated with dumping a bar of soap down the loo. Sometimes you get it with a snake, other times you have to take the whole toilet out. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, oldedeeres and JRJ have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 12:46 PM

My dad has fought his septic tank system for 14 years now.

Weird setup.  It doesn't really have a septic tank.  It is a septic tank but however not a real one.  Someone at one point decided they could build their own septic tanks by taking crock pipe standing it on end, sitting it on concrete and sealing it with mortar.  Tieing them both together to seperate solids and water.  It works on.  As the "softs" tank fills it runs the water off into the leach field.

The problems we had over the years. 

The tank gets full with 3 people living there quite often, a few times a year.  Not going to say how we remedy this but it involves a scoop on a long handle, and a plastic dump wagon.  Use your imagination. 

The leach field runs under the alley.  Pipe has crushed in different locations probably a dozen times over the years.

One year the pipe crushed between the house and the tank.  Not terrible, only 8 feet of pipe, so we narrowed it down quickly.

We were out there one winter with a mattock and a shovel digging it up trying to find the crushed spots.  That was a bad time, suprising how much pressure a pipe with poo water in it can build up and a well placed mattock strike led me to being covered in "water" and caused me to vacate my stomach several times. 

Last fall dad's sink, washing machine, dishwasher, tub, and bathroom sink isn't tied into the septic lines.  It runs out a seperate line that drains into its own leech field.  I know this isn't legal, so SHH.. He also drains his gutters into the system.  Well, he was weed eating, and an 1" elbow fell off a line he was draining into the top of the leech field, went down the 4" line, and plugged it up. We dug for 8 hours, the yard looked like a golf course.  Finally through listening to the water flowing we found where the plug was, cut the pipe with a sawzall and spliced a new piece in.

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 25, 2013 - 12:47 PM.

• Alc, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#11 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 01:28 PM

We are all happy for you for all the mentioned reasons, So Happy Thanksgiving  to you and your family.

Dick

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 02:35 PM

My dad has fought his septic tank system for 14 years now.

Weird setup.  It doesn't really have a septic tank.  It is a septic tank but however not a real one.  Someone at one point decided they could build their own septic tanks by taking crock pipe standing it on end, sitting it on concrete and sealing it with mortar.  Tieing them both together to seperate solids and water.  It works on.  As the "softs" tank fills it runs the water off into the leach field.

The problems we had over the years. 

The tank gets full with 3 people living there quite often, a few times a year.  Not going to say how we remedy this but it involves a scoop on a long handle, and a plastic dump wagon.  Use your imagination. 

The leach field runs under the alley.  Pipe has crushed in different locations probably a dozen times over the years.

One year the pipe crushed between the house and the tank.  Not terrible, only 8 feet of pipe, so we narrowed it down quickly.

We were out there one winter with a mattock and a shovel digging it up trying to find the crushed spots.  That was a bad time, suprising how much pressure a pipe with poo water in it can build up and a well placed mattock strike led me to being covered in "water" and caused me to vacate my stomach several times. 

Last fall dad's sink, washing machine, dishwasher, tub, and bathroom sink isn't tied into the septic lines.  It runs out a seperate line that drains into its own leech field.  I know this isn't legal, so SHH.. He also drains his gutters into the system.  Well, he was weed eating, and an 1" elbow fell off a line he was draining into the top of the leech field, went down the 4" line, and plugged it up. We dug for 8 hours, the yard looked like a golf course.  Finally through listening to the water flowing we found where the plug was, cut the pipe with a sawzall and spliced a new piece in.

There are a lot of systems out there that work. some better than others.

I can remember when I was very small, my dad digging a pit and laying up a cesspool system of red brick. Leaving gaps so the water could seep out no leach field at all( This was back in the 50's). My brother has a system where there is no way for gravity to work(it's all up hill). He has to pump the gray water up hill to the leachfield, and has to replace the pump about every two years. That makes my problems seem pretty small?

With the regulations changing every year it is hard to know what would meet specifications if one upgrades? I really need a bigger tank for my families usage, But as Boyscout mentioned with todays regs it could run $7-10 grand to upgrade.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Not to get off topic here, but my biggest worry about Dad's system is that when he passes away I will be stuck with a house without a "certified" septic system. 

We currently leave the tops exposed and have them covered with steel. 

Two years before my grandfather passed he had this fancy system installed.  It had a green tank, that had an air compressor that aerated the water.  Man it was a weird system to me.  The air compressor would fail every year or 2.  My grandfather lived there for another 8 years after he passed and we replaced that compressor several times. 

Prior to that his septic tank was a piece of PVC pipe that ran directly into the creek and dumped EVERYTHING into the creek.

When I was a kid that creek looked like a foam pool on sundays when all the ladies in town washed clothes! 

Edited by toomanytoys84, November 25, 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Must live in Souther Ohio?  It's like stepping back in time about 40years, just a few miles out of Columbus and south. Northern Hillbillies!     Do it Right!  Save up and spend the money on a contractor and get it right, sheeesh!

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 05:03 PM

As a maintenance man for an apartment community, I've done plenty of fishing in the toilet.  The most irritating was a plastic card like a driver's license that had fallen in.  I'd run the auger in, it would seem to be ok, then stop up again for the least amount of toilet tissue.  The card had gotten into the trap area and would float on top of the water back there, but wouldn't pass the top of the trap.  I finally caught a flash of color that shouldn't have been there, realized what was going on and got enough water out of the bowl to finally get the card out.  

The most BIZARRE thing I ever fished out of a toilet, again using a toilet snake, was a chunk of bone in a vacant apartment.  Cleaners complained about the toilet being clogged, guess the previous tenants thought they'd get rid of their soup bones that way.  

The most perplexing?  Have to say that was one where the resident was tossing dental floss down the toilet.  Apparently, the floss would randomly catch on rough spots in the toilet casting and get pretty firmly stuck.  Then, the swirling water would sometimes wrap TP around the floss and tangle, then build up and clog the toilet again.  Finally pulled the toilet, figured it out and told the tenant to stop throwing floss or we would start charging.

Bonus items : TV remote, toothbrush (do you want to save it?) comb, TP paper holder, "disposable" toilet cleaning pads, etc.

JD, I'm glad you got your issue fixed, and it sounds like it was cheaper than it could have been, even if it was a huge PITA.

Sewer drain tip:  If you are having difficulty clearing a clog with a sewer snake, try going on the roof and dropping straight down the vent pipe.  If the clog is not in the branch, you'll avoid all the tough elbows and Tees that may be difficult for the snake to get through.

• MH81, Alc, JD DANNELS and 3 others have said thanks